• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Trading Cards
8 8

293 posts in this topic

On 2/20/2021 at 2:47 PM, Galen130 said:

Good God!!!  I have an incomplete set, but most of those cards!!  I don't know squat about grading cards though.  I'd hate to send them in and they come back as duds.  That's just crazy!!! :whatthe::ohnoez:

Adding to this some more, I've been mostly into comics though have got back into Pokemon just for the hunt of more expensive cards this past year. I also have some from the late 90's. Now that CGC is grading cards which is new to me as I only have experience with comics getting graded, I walked-through three cards so far with good results (9.5 varying Charizards) and have another 60-ish there as a bulk order. But, since they don't do Marvel, I was thinking of doing the walkthrough on a few of these higher priced ones with Beckett based on the sales I have seen so far. It's around $100 each, but a 15-day turnaround as opposed to five or six months. Question is will these prices hold and/or continue up. I'm thinking yes for now, but we will really tell if the prices go higher as more 9's and 10's hit the auctions.

21 minutes ago, CHASEnBLUE said:

Adding to this some more, I've been mostly into comics though have got back into Pokemon just for the hunt of more expensive cards this past year. I also have some from the late 90's. Now that CGC is grading cards which is new to me as I only have experience with comics getting graded, I walked-through three cards so far with good results (9.5 varying Charizards) and have another 60-ish there as a bulk order. But, since they don't do Marvel, I was thinking of doing the walkthrough on a few of these higher priced ones with Beckett based on the sales I have seen so far. It's around $100 each, but a 15-day turnaround as opposed to five or six months. Question is will these prices hold and/or continue up. I'm thinking yes for now, but we will really tell if the prices go higher as more 9's and 10's hit the auctions.

PSA prices seem to be a lot stronger for Marvel than BGS. What is the walk through time line and prices like for them? 

5 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

PSA prices seem to be a lot stronger for Marvel than BGS. What is the walk through time line and prices like for them? 

I didn't even look at them yet until you mentioned it. So they are 75 for a WK (walk-through) and show 15 days but they have a notation that TATs are impacted. Super express is 2 days and is 200.

I think the populations are artificially low and that PSA is probably sitting on a trove of these that will unleash to the market over the next few months, but striking now is a good bet to get a return. I have held off because I just am not confident I can pull 10s, and I'm not prepared for that risk on these at this point. 

4 hours ago, Ron Churches said:

I think the populations are artificially low and that PSA is probably sitting on a trove of these that will unleash to the market over the next few months, but striking now is a good bet to get a return. I have held off because I just am not confident I can pull 10s, and I'm not prepared for that risk on these at this point. 

Agree. I'm thinking of just pre-screening two or three that I think are 9+ potential and sending them in for a quick return. Depending what happens we'll go from there...

22 hours ago, CHASEnBLUE said:

I think it’s a moot point for me anyway, since I closed my Feebay account last year.  I can still sell them raw in my Miscellaneous thread. :headbang:

28 minutes ago, ganni said:

Market is not steady at all.

gg4.jpg

gg5.jpg

gg6.jpg

We need more emojis here for a variety of expressions...wow! 

Time to capitalize on this for sure. Just set aside about 5 to see if I can get sent and back within a month or so.

27 minutes ago, Galen130 said:

I think it’s a moot point for me anyway, since I closed my Feebay account last year.  I can still sell them raw in my Miscellaneous thread. :headbang:

At some point I might message you if you don't mind. Feebay just changed to managed payments and I hate it because now money is not put immediately into my PayPal account anymore. Was thinking about doing a balance of both here and there still. Selling is more of a side hobby so I do it in waves. Currently, I have over 60 comics at CGC so it will still be another six to eight weeks before I start selling another wave. Just hesitant here on the bad buyers, no protections, and what not.

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

11 minutes ago, CHASEnBLUE said:

At some point I might message you if you don't mind. Feebay just changed to managed payments and I hate it because now money is not put immediately into my PayPal account anymore. Was thinking about doing a balance of both here and there still. Selling is more of a side hobby so I do it in waves. Currently, I have over 60 comics at CGC so it will still be another six to eight weeks before I start selling another wave. Just hesitant here on the bad buyers, no protections, and what not.

Don’t mind at all.  I’ve been selling stuff here since last Spring and no problems yet. (thumbsu

15 hours ago, Ron Churches said:

I think the populations are artificially low and that PSA is probably sitting on a trove of these that will unleash to the market over the next few months, but striking now is a good bet to get a return.

Agreed.

This is a great video and takes me back to a more reflective perspective, especially being one who was very active in the mid 80's through mid 90's as a collector. Thank you for posting this.

On 8/24/2020 at 10:46 AM, Keys_Collector said:

I think that'll be the part that'll drive most people to buying them and getting them graded.  I could see people trying to get matching grades too which drive up the price all around.  Who knows though.  The only reason why I wouldn't consider sending in a bunch would be it being cost prohibitive to send in cards that are worth a quarter (what a majority are worth) for grading at 10 bucks a pop.

Should've listened to my own advice from 6 months ago.  As others mentioned above, the time to strike may have passed.  I don't see this lasting as many people saw the ridiculous prices and sent them in to PSA or other grading services.  These companies are backlogged and taking months to return.  The market will be flooded with grades all over the place and the price will come down to reality once collectors and flippers start receiving them back (just finished watching the YouTube video above and realized he said exactly this). A lot of people seeing high prices for Gem mint cards when only a fraction are actually 10's.  Not to mention the cost of grading which some people sending in don't factor in.  Still very, very cool to see graded Marvel trading cards.

Edited by Keys_Collector

I do think high grades will do well with these; there is a market for these cards as they are definitely beautiful and nostalgic. I don't think you can reasonably expect to get 2k for 10s long term, or whatever, but the fact that raw sets are climbing in price is a good indicator that these are being sought after. I think some of the noise in that pic above is SGC, which I don't think folks will take as reputable as PSA. The two SGC sales sold similar to EMC, some random grading company I see with a lot of sales on these cards (that doesn't look reputable imo). The dude who sold for 180 in January probably left some money on the table, and the guy in the February sale took advantage of it.

23 hours ago, CHASEnBLUE said:

This is a great video and takes me back to a more reflective perspective, especially being one who was very active in the mid 80's through mid 90's as a collector.

Sports card collector-specs diversifying into comic book keys based on Cgc 9.8 census they can relate to (e.g. Marvel Cinematic Universe related hype).