• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Trading Cards
8 8

293 posts in this topic

On 2/24/2021 at 5:44 AM, Ron Churches said:

I don't think they are considered a very legitimate operation. 

I imagine the seller lost quite a bit on that. I've been toying with sending just a few cards express to PSA but can't get myself to pull the trigger for the express cost, especially not being certain of a 10 which is difficult to get.

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

How do you mean? Black Widow is an SGC, which just doesn't sell Marvel like PSA 10s. They are known more for sports cards and are kinda on the slide (IMO) these days. The middle card is nice, but it's Omega Red from the 96 set. Not desirable to many collectors; probably sold solely because it's a 10. That third one is the big draw in every set, in a 10 with low population, and sold through PWCC. They know how to market their cards and their sales. I wouldn't call any of that gambling, other than whoever sending that Spider-Man doing it before too many of them were graded.

Collectibles are not considered as collateral when applying a loan in a bank.  Collectibles are not are readily convertible into cash to repay the loan. Banks usually have asset-based lending groups of their own that do not accept art and collectibles as collateral.  Bankers are looking for something that can easily and reliably be converted to cash.

3 hours ago, Ron Churches said:

How do you mean? Black Widow is an SGC, which just doesn't sell Marvel like PSA 10s. They are known more for sports cards and are kinda on the slide (IMO) these days. The middle card is nice, but it's Omega Red from the 96 set. Not desirable to many collectors; probably sold solely because it's a 10. That third one is the big draw in every set, in a 10 with low population, and sold through PWCC. They know how to market their cards and their sales. I wouldn't call any of that gambling, other than whoever sending that Spider-Man doing it before too many of them were graded.

Actually for Marvel card collectors that 1996 Omega Red is the biggest of the 3. 1996 is a highly collected set with a much smaller print run than 1992-94. 

The third card is really not that desirable for either the character or the set. It is Spider-Man 2099 not the regular Peter Parker Spider-Man (who has a card in the set). Although their is another Spider-Man who is very popular not named Peter Parker that would be Ultimate Spider-Man Miles Morales. 

Most Marvel Masterpieces card collectors tend to say 1993 is their least favorite set. I collected 92-94 MM growing up and personally I find it to be the weakest. I know a lot of people didn’t care for the insert set. Despite great Bob Larkin art it just wasn’t as cool featuring surprise surprise X-Men 2099 characters that no one did or does to this day give a 💩 about. It was a let down following the Battle Spectra subset in 1992.

I prefer 96 over it as well despite never owning a single card from it. 95 is kind of weak but hell I still own paintings from all the sets from 92-96 except 1993.

9 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

Actually for Marvel card collectors that 1996 Omega Red is the biggest of the 3. 1996 is a highly collected set with a much smaller print run than 1992-94

Good to hear you know your marvel cards history.. 1996 very low print run.

6 hours ago, Ron Churches said:

I learned something. Thanks!

No problem.  Good to hear i help someone about this hobby of ours.  I was going to post about Marvel card 1996 series.  Then thanks to Mephisto's great effort and time did the rest.

4 hours ago, CHASEnBLUE said:

Unreal. I need to dig out my sets :banana:

True sale price of that set was $1,900.

But the 1996 set's also been expensive for awhile now, well before the recent (last 45 day) run-up in the 1992 Marvel Masterpieces and 1990 Marvel Universe sets.

Why?

1996 was post-bubble: Only 30,000 boxes produced (vs. 350,000 for the 1992 series).

I have a question for anyone more verse in card grading than me. I've only been having comics graded for several years now, but with the card boom, I've been expanding my horizon some.

So, I removed a few polybags from some X-Force 1's that have the Deadpool "Rookie" card. Unfortunately, the polybag seam left an indentation line across the face of each card and the back have a similar indentation line from the other order card that was in one way or another stacked beneath this card in the polybag. Doing some quick research, I cannot seem to find anything viable regarding a "pressing" if you will for this type of issue with cards, similar to a clean and press with comics that can be done. Any thoughts or suggestions?