• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you do with books for a series that was cancelled and will not be completed
1 1

31 posts in this topic

I was going through my books and I came across some books for a vertigo series called border town. 

There series was cancelled part way through due to misconduct allegations on Esquivel's  part and wont be finished/ 

What do you do with books that only tell part of a story and will never be finished

:news:Create a CGC forum thread that gets people talking about it!!! :banana:

Seriously though, I'm not familiar with those comics.  Can't say I've ever come across that problem before.  Potentially worth something in the future? (shrug)

Series being left unfinished, or cancelled on cliffhangers, or the like, is hardly a new phenomenon. I don't think that, in and of itself, makes a series any more or less likely to attract interest in future. Now, I do think there's a case to be made that creators who are, ahem, problematic (whether they leave titles unfinished or not) might hurt the long-term investment value of their works.

But the 2018 Border Town was never likely to be some sort of sleeper-hit hot modern rarity to begin with. (shrug)

If it's a title you want to collect, collect it. If not, don't.

The only one I recall is Daredevil / Bullseye: The Target by Kevin Smith and Glenn Fabry. Only got to a single published issue.

My copy’s languishing in a box somewhere, a mini-series I’d have waited to read in its entirety.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Dreamwave comes to mind in the early 2000s.  They had the Transformers license from Hasbro and put out Transformers stuff until 2004 or so when Pat Lee ran the business right into the ground.  Some of the series that ended abruptly had scripts (Simon Furman had a few for some issues) but ultimately they were never completed and IDW hasn't finished them out of principle due to Dreamwave's inability to pay the talent that was involved in the books.  So, the books I have just sit in a box.  

Valiant / Acclaim.... Unity 2000... I am still waiting for issues 4, 5, 6... 

I sold the first few issues off... no sense in keeping them. 

At least let me know how it would have all played out. 

Edited by Buzzetta

The DC "modern" Shadow series from DC from the late 80s ended with a cliffhanger. The Shadow's decapitated head was stuck on a robot body and the next issue was supposed to start a crazy story arc, but that never happened. More recently, Mark Millar and Tony Harris's War Heroes was never finished and neither was Bryan Hitch's Real Heroes.

Edited by Dave2739

4 hours ago, Ares said:

What do you do with books that only tell part of a story and will never be finished

I have a box marked "Eragon DVD Collection" that I put them in.

2 hours ago, Dave2739 said:

The DC "modern" Shadow series from DC from the late 80s ended with a cliffhanger. The Shadow's decapitated head was stuck on a robot body and the next issue was supposed to start a crazy story arc, but that never happened. More recently, Mark Millar and Tony Harris's War Heroes was never finished and neither was Bryan Hitch's Real Heroes.

There's actually a lot of that, and sometimes it doesn't affect values. Disputes over the property license led to the cancellation of Logan's Run immediately after beginning a new story arc expanding upon the film. But they're still eagerly collected books (and, unlike many of my titles, not just by me!). Reaching further back, lots of books died in the Atlas Implosion but that doesn't make them valueless.

On the other hand, there's a big difference between a title being cancelled for financial or licensing or executive drama reasons versus a title being cancelled because one of its creators was credibly accused of being a sexual predator. Since being cut from DC, Esquivel's further adventures in the comics industry have also, um, not endeared him to the general comics community. I do think that's going to permanently cap any sort of value for his books. But if you like what of the series got published (I heard it was actually pretty good...), there's no reason you can't collect them and keep them in a box somewhere. Hell, I'm sure we all have plenty of stuff we keep because we like, but that will never have any better fate.

But if you're wondering if there's a chance they'll be a worthwhile investment financially? I'm fairly sure Border Town will trend to the dollar box, not to Logan's Run prices.

Frank Miller’s classic series, All-Star Batman and Robin, was never finished.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Most of the time, the cancelled title is terrible.  So I typically don't care. 

But most of the Crossgen series was affected by this due to money. 

I'm still SUPER bummed that Negation Wars wasn't completed.  Really thought it had potential.  I think I did find the scripts at one point.  I need to re-find and read. 

Sojourn, Negation, Scion, Way of the Rat, etc. 

Like some mentioned.  If I like them, I keep them (like the above).  If I don't, they are gone. 

Patrick

22 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

Most of the time, the cancelled title is terrible.  So I typically don't care. 

But most of the Crossgen series was affected by this due to money. 

I'm still SUPER bummed that Negation Wars wasn't completed.  Really thought it had potential.  I think I did find the scripts at one point.  I need to re-find and read. 

Sojourn, Negation, Scion, Way of the Rat, etc. 

Like some mentioned.  If I like them, I keep them (like the above).  If I don't, they are gone. 

Patrick

I was a bit sad when CrossGen imploded. I found their core premise -- that most of their books would be intended to exist in a shared universe with a connecting storylines form the beginning -- to be a refreshing one, especially when Marvel and DC were both stricken with bad cases of rebootitis. Unfortunately, Mark Alessi made some very, very poor business decisions (and, by all accounts, was also quite unpleasant to work with, which never helps), and it all came crashing down. I've considered putting together a Sigilverse collection, but I keep putting it off, because I'm a little OCD about chasing high quality copies of my books, and, well... I think it's safe to say that the Sigilverse books aren't ever going up in price. And I don't like them quite enough to put the set together for its own sake (also, there's a lot of them).

I suppose I'll eat crow if Disney ever reboots the whole thing in a way that makes the original series desirable again. But I don't think the handful of CrossGen books they relaunched made much of a splash, so I don't think that's very likely.

15 hours ago, Qalyar said:

On the other hand, there's a big difference between a title being cancelled for financial or licensing or executive drama reasons versus a title being cancelled because one of its creators was credibly accused of being a sexual predator. Since being cut from DC, Esquivel's further adventures in the comics industry have also, um, not endeared him to the general comics community. I do think that's going to permanently cap any sort of value for his books. But if you like what of the series got published (I heard it was actually pretty good...), there's no reason you can't collect them and keep them in a box somewhere

It was quite good. Sad knowing it will never finish

3 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

This topic reminds me of 'Canceled Comic Cavalcade'.

Anyone have a copy?

Does it wrap-up the story lines?

Is it a good read?

The stuff in CCC wasn't intended to be the final chapter of limited series. It was just "the next issue" of a number of ongoing titles. So, just like as you'd find with any random month or two of B-tier comics, some of the stories wrap up cliffhangers (notably Shade, the Changing Man), while some don't. As for quality, well, a couple of the stories are pretty good. The Kamandi content is probably pretty good for fans of the title. Deadman is... not exciting, but readable, and would have created a new villain for the line. Prez is pretty awful, and the two issues of Secret Society of Super Villains read (and look) like they were still in development.

On average, it's ... a bunch of late '70s DC drek. Let's be honest, there's a reason the DC Implosion happened.