• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you do with books for a series that was cancelled and will not be completed
1 1

31 posts in this topic

On 8/24/2020 at 3:59 PM, Qalyar said:

Disputes over the property license led to the cancellation of Logan's Run immediately after beginning a new story arc expanding upon the film. But they're still eagerly collected books (and, unlike many of my titles, not just by me!).

Since when does Logan's Run sell or have any value except for issue #6 because of the Thanos backup story?

21 hours ago, followtheleader said:

But most of the Crossgen series was affected by this due to money. 

I'm still SUPER bummed that Negation Wars wasn't completed.  Really thought it had potential.  I think I did find the scripts at one point.  I need to re-find and read. 

Sojourn, Negation, Scion, Way of the Rat, etc.

I never got into Crossgen, but I know some guys who did.

I'm more upset about Liefeld's failed attempt at publishing (and not because of Rob himself, just in case anybody is confused). :mad:

24 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Since when does Logan's Run sell or have any value except for issue #6 because of the Thanos backup story?

I mean, they do okay in higher grades. They're not expensive books, but they aren't dollar bin fodder. I suppose to some extent that's true of many Bronze Age books, but there are certainly things you could pick up for far cheaper than a nice run of LR.

29 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

I never got into Crossgen, but I know some guys who did.

I'm more upset about Liefeld's failed attempt at publishing (and not because of Rob himself, just in case anybody is confused). :mad:

Awesome Comics? Only because he managed to get Moore on board. I didn't have any better opinion of Liefeld as a publisher than I do of Liefeld as an artist. I think there's reasonable cause to believe he was doing some shady stuff with Maximum Press when he was with Image, and the whole Fighting American / Agent America / Captain America debacle at Awesome was, well, not awesome.

Unlike some of the other quasi-Image publishers, I never expected Awesome to last very long. Moore's work was never in danger; he's Moore (and, indeed, just packed up his things and created ABC when Awesome failed). If anyone, I feel a bit sorry for Ian Churchill in the whole affair. Coven was an interesting enough book, and while he's ended up just fine (Teen Titans, etc.), I seem to think he had a lean stretch after Awesome died. And Coven has never been revisited anywhere, so far as I know.

23 hours ago, Qalyar said:

I was a bit sad when CrossGen imploded. I found their core premise -- that most of their books would be intended to exist in a shared universe with a connecting storylines form the beginning -- to be a refreshing one, especially when Marvel and DC were both stricken with bad cases of rebootitis. Unfortunately, Mark Alessi made some very, very poor business decisions (and, by all accounts, was also quite unpleasant to work with, which never helps), and it all came crashing down. I've considered putting together a Sigilverse collection, but I keep putting it off, because I'm a little OCD about chasing high quality copies of my books, and, well... I think it's safe to say that the Sigilverse books aren't ever going up in price. And I don't like them quite enough to put the set together for its own sake (also, there's a lot of them).

I suppose I'll eat crow if Disney ever reboots the whole thing in a way that makes the original series desirable again. But I don't think the handful of CrossGen books they relaunched made much of a splash, so I don't think that's very likely.

I still have sizeable runs of many Crossgen titles.  Don't plan on ever getting rid of those unless I sell everything. 

Often considered going back and picking up others I don't have.  I did punt some of the titles I didn't care.  Stuff like Saurians.  Just didn't do it for me. 

I agree, I loved the early business mindset.  The ability to return for a refund was a cool idea; always wondered if anyone did.  I also picked up the Preview versions of the books for the early #1s.  

Patrick

This problem goes back a lot farther than many recognize. I was a founding members of the Sonic Disruptors fan club, a 12-issue mini that ended after 7 issues.

Come to think of it, I may have been the only member of that fan club...

4 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

You'd be surprised. I had a stack of them at one point and they used to sell pretty well on eBay. Not for huge amounts but they definitely carried value.