• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Definitive Darkseid Story/Stories?
1 1

36 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

If Infinity Gauntlet is the pinnacle of Thanos' career (so far), is Final Crisis the pinnacle of Darkseid's?

If not; What do you think is?

I think it HAS to be that - obviously there was the side story with Supergirl in the early 2000’s and NEW 52 touched on that in the revamped Justice League recently as well as Darkseid War , but as far as defining ... I agree .. plus having Alex Ross illustrate is a plus 

5 minutes ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

I think it HAS to be that - obviously there was the side story with Supergirl in the early 2000’s and NEW 52 touched on that in the revamped Justice League recently as well as Darkseid War , but as far as defining ... I agree .. plus having Alex Ross illustrate is a plus 

which Darkseid story had Alex Ross art?

54 minutes ago, boomtown said:

As a fan reading in the Copper Age it had to be the Great Darkness Saga from the Legion of Super Heroes (By Levitz and Giffen).

One of my favourite early Copper Age stories, and unbelievable that I forgot about it.

13 hours ago, boomtown said:

As a fan reading in the Copper Age it had to be the Great Darkness Saga from the Legion of Super Heroes (By Levitz and Giffen).

Just coming into the thread to make sure this was mentioned. Kirby's work aside, this is my favorite Darkseid story.

13 hours ago, boomtown said:

That's a good one though I do also like Cosmic Odyssey. I think that's a better counterpart to the Infinity gauntlet since it deals with all the heroes. While I get the idea of Final Crisis, I really hate Darkseid in it. He doesn't even take a step, he just sits in a chair. And he isn't the big villain either, just a prelude to the Vampire Monitor who wasn't even introduced in the main series. Man, Final Crisis was a mess.

Cosmic Odyssey: The Deluxe Edition: Starlin, Jim, Various ...

6 minutes ago, Jesse-Lee said:

I remember liking Cosmic Odyssey - probably been 25 years since I read it though...

Cosmic Odyssey is fun, Starlin story, Mignola artwork. Hard to go wrong there. I haven't revisited it in quite some time either.

Also worth mentioning is The Quiet Darkness saga storyline from the 5YL/TMK LoSH series. It's Darkseid in the 30th century, and he has mellowed a bit. I wouldn't recommend the story unless you were already familiar with Legion, particularly the Baxter series and the 5YL series, but for readers who are already familiar with the setting, it's a treat, and one of my favorite portrayals of old Rock Face.

4 hours ago, William-James88 said:

While I get the idea of Final Crisis, I really hate Darkseid in it. He doesn't even take a step, he just sits in a chair.

That's what Darkseid does. He lets his minions (and/or pawns) carry out his plans and only gets physically involved when he has to.

5 hours ago, William-James88 said:

I really hate Darkseid in it. He doesn't even take a step, he just sits in a chair.

Thanos wannabe.

I always remember him with his hands behind his back in a dominant, alpha male pose. The owner of the local comic shop here had a similar affectation, though neither imposing in stature nor stone-faced.

Edited by Ken Aldred

6 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Thanos wannabe.

I always remember him with his hands behind his back in a dominant, alpha male pose. The owner of the local comic shop here had a similar affectation, though neither imposing in stature nor stone-faced.

That is my preferred pose as well. Overall, I don't find final crisis to be that great of a Darkseid story since he isn't great inside it. I actually quite liked Batman/Superman Apokalypse, though that's smaller scale.

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

Also worth mentioning is The Quiet Darkness saga storyline from the 5YL/TMK LoSH series. It's Darkseid in the 30th century, and he has mellowed a bit. I wouldn't recommend the story unless you were already familiar with Legion, particularly the Baxter series and the 5YL series, but for readers who are already familiar with the setting, it's a treat, and one of my favorite portrayals of old Rock Face.

That was a very good period for Legion.  I think it was when Giffen was drawing in a similar style to Kevin Maguire, with exaggerated facial expressions on his characters, as with their Justice League series.

6 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Cosmic Odyssey is fun, Starlin story, Mignola artwork. Hard to go wrong there. I haven't revisited it in quite some time either.

There is one super weird part though that I wish wasn't in it. It's when John Stewart has to save a planet's core but it was painted yellow by an overweight bearded white guy.... who happens to live on this alien planet. that part is pretty darn distracting, overly comical, and just plain random. Turns out it was an inside joke between Mignola and the editor (or something of the sort, I don't perfectly remember what Mignola told me when I asked him about it) but none of us are aware of the joke. And this became something that stayed with John Stewart all this time.

johnstewartxanshi7.jpg

Edited by William-James88

19 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

There is one super weird part though that I wish wasn't in it. It's when John Stewart has to save a planet's core but it was painted yellow by an overweight bearded white guy.... who happens to live on this alien planet. that part is pretty darn distracting, overly comical, and just plain random. Turns out it was an inside joke between Mignola and the editor (or something of the sort, I don't perfectly remember what Mignola told me when I asked him about it) but none of us are aware of the joke. And this became something that stayed with John Stewart all this time.

johnstewartxanshi7.jpg

It was a bit of a heavy-handed way to show that Stewart had become very complacent.