• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Definitive Darkseid Story/Stories?
1 1

36 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

It was a bit of a heavy-handed way to show that Stewart had become very complacent.

I have no problem with the bomb being yellow, I just find the execution of some random human on an alien planet painting it yellow to be a really odd way to do it. Would have been better if that bomb was just yellow.

3 hours ago, Zonker said:

I prefer Morrison's previous use of Darkseid in his "Rock of Ages" JLA storyline from the late 1990s.

"Darkseid Is."

Indeed.

jla14.jpg

Interesting.  Is that the earliest use of ‘Darkseid Is’ ? I’m only familiar with it from Tom King’s more recent Mister Miracle series.

Edited by Ken Aldred

21 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Interesting.  Is that the earliest use of ‘Darkseid Is’ ? I’m only familiar with it from Tom King’s more recent Mister Miracle series.

I think so.  In Morrison's JLA arc, it is the answer Darkseid gives to the rhetorical question "Who is your New God now and forever?"

Tom King takes it a step further and uses it as an all-purpose nihilistic statement of dread: Darkseid...just... Is.  :eek:

1 hour ago, Mr bla bla said:

I have three 

1. Orion, Simonson 

2. Final crisis, Morrison

3. Mr Miracle, King

and off course the full Fourth World by The King himself.

Simonson's Orion really is great, I wish more people knew about it.

17 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

Especially the first half of the Orion run is mindblowing. Its hands down clearly superior even to his Celebrated Thor run.

But Orion seems so far to have gone under the radar. 

I'd be willing to go as far as to say it is a worthy peer to his Thor run, but I can't quite put it over the top, as I do love those Thor books so very much. 

DC did a great Omnibus of Uncle Walt's Orion run, I was hoping that would turn more folks onto it.

1 minute ago, F For Fake said:

I'd be willing to go as far as to say it is a worthy peer to his Thor run, but I can't quite put it over the top, as I do love those Thor books so very much. 

DC did a great Omnibus of Uncle Walt's Orion run, I was hoping that would turn more folks onto it.

That omni is OOP many moons ago.

9 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

That omni is OOP many moons ago.

Yes, I've sold many of my omnis and hc's over the years after they go OOP, but I never let that one go!

3 hours ago, Wees 2e said:

These books would be classics if DC had chosen a better artist. Howard Porter was a poor choice :sick:

This would be my 2nd favorite Darkseid art.  And I liked Porter.  I was out of comics from 1993 until 98-99. Coming back in, I liked Porter's style.

5 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

This would be my 2nd favorite Darkseid art.  And I liked Porter.  I was out of comics from 1993 until 98-99. Coming back in, I liked Porter's style.

I thought Porter was solid but not spectacular, but really, in 1997, who in the DC stable would have been preferable? This was before the arrival of Wildstorm and Jim Lee, so it's not like they had a huge roster of superstar talent. Porter's art served the story fine, I never found it distracting, and at the end of the day it's about storytelling. Looking forward to re-reading this run when the omnibus comes.

On 8/25/2020 at 2:02 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Thanos wannabe.

I always remember him with his hands behind his back in a dominant, alpha male pose. The owner of the local comic shop here had a similar affectation, though neither imposing in stature nor stone-faced.

Thanos was actually not supposed to be as powerful as he was. It was Roy Thomas who told the creative team to make him powerful like Darkseid.

https://comicsalliance.com/knockoff-characters-comics/#:~:text=The connection between the two,%2C the really good one!"

"While Starlin cops to the fact that Thanos and the rest of the folks on Titan were inspired by the mythology Kirby was building with his New Gods, he also says that his original idea of Thanos was more along the lines of the knowledge-seeking Metron, right down to cruising through space in a chair. The connection between the two was only made when editor Roy Thomas told Starlin to give Thanos a more powerful build, suggesting "If you're going to steal one of the New Gods, at least rip off Darkseid, the really good one!"