• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's up with Superman #253?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I guess Murphy Anderson is gradually unloading a trove of his Swan/Anderson early 1970s Action Comics and Superman stack, several pages every week at Heritage Auctions. I've picked up a couple myself from stories I remember fondly. They tend to go for a few hundred dollars, sometimes as much as a thousand, like the one with angels and devils in it. But pages from Superman #253 ("The Kid Who Saved Superman," featuring the forgotten villain Ferlin Nyxly) are way more. Page 3 just sold for $5520 counting buyer's premium. Other pages have gone for $2880, $2800, $1560, and $1020. Is this story more famous than others for some reason? Or is this a war between two bidders who both want (and can afford) to collect this particular story in toto, valuing it way above market for their own personal reasons?

Superman_v.1_253.jpg.152690b57dc56b65501cd66d29040890.jpg

Nice cover by Nick Cardy.  Although this started a run of covers where, many times, Superman was in a weak / submissive position.  As someone once remarked to me, Superman was getting his butt kicked.

Murphy Anderson passed away few years ago.  It looks like his family has decided to part with some of his art.  After Anderson was pretty much retired from drawing, he was still in the business.  I think he had already started a company that did color separations.

It's a 2 part story (continued in Superman 254).  Kind of rare for DC.  If you want a soap opera that spans multiple issues buy Marvel.  Otherwise, I don't think it's a noteworthy story.  I was never a big follower of the Superman / Action titles.

Page 3 ($ 5,520) might be considered desirable because it has Clark Kent going into the store room, opening his shirt and changing into Superman and flying away.  Nice big image.  I was watching that page for that reason.  It's on par with a Green Lantern "oath" page.  But I stopped watching the page because that weird pattern for the shirt was distracting, too 70's looking.  If it was just a plain shirt, maybe it would've sold for even more.

Regarding the other pages, I have no idea.  I guess people are just trying to get Swan / Anderson pages while they're available.  You never know when HA will run out of them.  I'm more of a Swan / Oksner fan myself.

Edited by Will_K

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense for Page 3 especially. This shows how I still think like a newbie. I was looking at the pages of that story primarily from a reader's perspective, as segments of a discrete story, rather than as individual poses/images in the context of either the total body of Superman panels or the smaller body of Swan Superman images.  I suppose the same premium would apply for all characters uttering their distinctive battle cry/stance (Flame On, Avengers Assemble, By the Power of Grayskull, etc.). Funny to think that something like the pattern on Clark Kent's shirt would affect selling price, but I'm sure you're right that it does. I passed up the Reed/Thing pin-up on Paul Smith's web site because Smith drew Reed with weird rumpled hair, and it just seemed off-model.

Edited by RBerman

4 hours ago, RBerman said:

I was looking at the pages of that story primarily from a reader's perspective, as segments of a discrete story, rather than as individual poses/images in the context of either the total body of Superman panels or the smaller body of Swan Superman images. 

Yeah, sometimes the appeal isn't so much about the story as it is the imagery. 

Funny to think that something like the pattern on Clark Kent's shirt would affect selling price

I wasn't a bidder on page 3, just watching.  I can't say the shirt pattern affected the bidding but it definitely affected the watching.  I respect that Curt Swan could draw Superman for 30 years or whatever but I would've bailed out well before the $5,000.

Flame On, Avengers Assemble, By the Power of Grayskull, etc.)

Apparently, Namor's "Imperius Rex !!" is also a crowd-pleaser.  I think "it's clobberin' time !!!" ranks pretty high.  A great tag line would also increase the desirability of the most mediocre page.

8 hours ago, Will_K said:

Yeah, sometimes the appeal isn't so much about the story as it is the imagery. 

I wasn't a bidder on page 3, just watching.  I can't say the shirt pattern affected the bidding but it definitely affected the watching.  I respect that Curt Swan could draw Superman for 30 years or whatever but I would've bailed out well before the $5,000.

Apparently, Namor's "Imperius Rex !!" is also a crowd-pleaser.  I think "it's clobberin' time !!!" ranks pretty high.  A great tag line would also increase the desirability of the most mediocre page.

“Hulk smash!” 

On 8/24/2020 at 7:23 PM, RBerman said:

I guess Murphy Anderson is gradually unloading a trove of his Swan/Anderson early 1970s Action Comics and Superman stack,

:gossip:  His estate is anyway...... :eek:

1 minute ago, RBerman said:

This is one reason I come here. I always learn something!

And I knew he kept a lot of art....but I had no idea it was this much art.