• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old art? New art? What you read (present), read (past), or simply like?
2 2

21 posts in this topic

Do you still read comic books? Did you start collecting OA after you stopped reading, or during? If you stopped reading, why do you still collect comic book art? Do you only buy art for books you've read or artists you love because you've read stuff from them before, or do you also buy stuff from artists you're not familiar with or books you haven't read? Is nostalgia you're biggest collecting drive or do you look for new art as well? I know that's a lot of questions, but I guess I'm just curious about different collectors' connections to books, artists, artwork, and the source material itself: the comic books.

I still purchase and read comics, both new and old. I've been in and out of collecting books over the years, but COVID-19 has sort of pushed me into reading more, since I'm at home more. For me, my comic book OA collecting started with nostalgia. I want pieces from my favorite books, of my favorite characters, and done by my favorite artists. But since I read current stuff as well, I am discovering new artists and books I enjoy. Also, looking through some art, I might see something that looks cool and get interested in picking up some back issues to read. I think, in fact, that I DO want to at least read every issue that I own a page from. So far, I've done that. Either I read the issue in the past or picked it up after picking up the artwork.

Sorry if this topic feels a little scattered, but how about you? Do you still read comics? Do you buy what you read (or have read) or do you just buy stuff you like without concerning yourself with any personal connection to it? And are you mostly a collector of older stuff, newer, or both?

48 minutes ago, BuraddoRun said:

Do you still read comic books? Did you start collecting OA after you stopped reading, or during? If you stopped reading, why do you still collect comic book art? Do you only buy art for books you've read or artists you love because you've read stuff from them before, or do you also buy stuff from artists you're not familiar with or books you haven't read? Is nostalgia you're biggest collecting drive or do you look for new art as well? I know that's a lot of questions, but I guess I'm just curious about different collectors' connections to books, artists, artwork, and the source material itself: the comic books.

I still purchase and read comics, both new and old. I've been in and out of collecting books over the years, but COVID-19 has sort of pushed me into reading more, since I'm at home more. For me, my comic book OA collecting started with nostalgia. I want pieces from my favorite books, of my favorite characters, and done by my favorite artists. But since I read current stuff as well, I am discovering new artists and books I enjoy. Also, looking through some art, I might see something that looks cool and get interested in picking up some back issues to read. I think, in fact, that I DO want to at least read every issue that I own a page from. So far, I've done that. Either I read the issue in the past or picked it up after picking up the artwork.

Sorry if this topic feels a little scattered, but how about you? Do you still read comics? Do you buy what you read (or have read) or do you just buy stuff you like without concerning yourself with any personal connection to it? And are you mostly a collector of older stuff, newer, or both?

I read very few comics today unless pimped to me by knowledgeable comic friends. 
I always look for art from stories that meant something to me. That’s where I start. However I love art for art sake, so I have pursued pieces based on their sheer beauty.

I had been collecting comic books since I was a kid back in Michigan. In 1986, my father bought an original artwork for Hulk Annual #7 by Byrne and Layton (he was never into comics). I never even considered you could buy the original art from the comic books I grew up reading. Of course I was hooked and started collecting comic art, thu college and into the 90s I collected comic art but being on the west coast before the internet I was limited to buying art at conventions and CBG. Seems that my comic book reading started to wane in the late 890s and early 200s, my comic art collecting started to grow. I pretty much stopped collecting comic books in early 2000s and my art collection exploded.

I do read the occasional  comic book, mostly artists I know or grew up reading. Will pcik up an occasional comic book for the character. Its mostly reprints, art books (AE and such). I rarely collect modern comic art, anything after mid 1990's. When they stopped including lettering and word balloons on original comic art. Fo me panels pages tell a story and without the words on the page I have very littler interest. There are exceptions, when the art can tell a story withput the words I will pcik up a page. I still buy covers even though most do not have trade dressing on them. I prefer pages that have the pencils and inks, digital art and having separate pencils and inks turn me off. But then they are missing lettering too.

My comic art collecting had slowed down alot over the last few years. I still actively search and buy art but find I am more selective. Far less impulse buys. There is still alot of art on my wantlist but getting harder and jerder to find.

Nostalgia is indeed a primary driver, but I've also collected artists for whom it's a non-factor, or very indirect.  

Looks like about 1/3 to 1/4 of the artists on my list, I had no exposure to as a kid... either because they were before my time, or recent discoveries.

Oh, and comics-wise, I'll still make the odd purchase here and there.  It's less urgent for me because I know the supply is (almost) always there.  I'll only act swifty when this isn't the case.  Also, comics for me can be a great filler when I'm not motivated to shell out big bucks for the OA, but would like to own specific art by a given artist, even in published form.  Bonus points if a rare book (vintage or variant).

Edited by exitmusicblue

I read new stuff in the early 80s, then almost nothing for 30 years, and then rediscovered comics in the last ten years, both the newer stuff I missed and the older stuff I never knew the first time around. Collections whenever possible; I have no attachment to individual issues.

I read more comics than I ever have. I mostly read modern Marvel and indie books but go back to old classics not infrequently. I collected comics when I was young, but stopped for awhile until the movies got me back into it. Basically went Movies -> reading comics -> collecting comics -> collecting OA. Collecting comics pretty much stopped when I discovered OA.

On 8/25/2020 at 8:36 PM, Varanis said:

I read more comics than I ever have. I mostly read modern Marvel and indie books but go back to old classics not infrequently. I collected comics when I was young, but stopped for awhile until the movies got me back into it. Basically went Movies -> reading comics -> collecting comics -> collecting OA. Collecting comics pretty much stopped when I discovered OA.

I have had a few others tell me this is a path they have taken as well

I don't read/collect single issues any longer (that stopped a wee bit ago).  I do try my best to keep apprised of interesting/quality stories to read through the various channels from which I get my comic nerd news.  But, I'm pretty much a graphic novel buyer now which includes historical as well as contemporary stories.  Reading these stories will often inform my OA collecting, such as with my latest Hawkman purchase.  Loved the stories, loved the art, and bought a cover.

On 8/25/2020 at 12:04 AM, grapeape said:

I read very few comics today unless pimped to me by knowledgeable comic friends. 
I always look for art from stories that meant something to me. That’s where I start. However I love art for art sake, so I have pursued pieces based on their sheer beauty.

I highly, highly recommend Ice Cream Man. One of the best written comics of the past decade. Plus, the art by Martin Morazzo is nice. He uses a very thin line that fits the material really well. Here’s a page I just picked up from issue 20. 4B10642E-F19F-49E7-9897-9026123F33D8.thumb.jpeg.c2f68429d13eb10ef908c57759a9cced.jpeg

For more on the book: 

https://www.cbr.com/ice-cream-man-unpredictable-series-explained/

UPDATE: Martin Morazzo says his art is influenced by Moebius & Frank Quietly, which you can definitely see. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

I bought a tablet specifically for comixology through prime. $5 month for a boatload of content. Been reading some “modern” stuff from about 2010 and on. Never collected Judge Dredd so never read it, been really digging it now that I have access!

44 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

What did you get? I've been waiting to find a decent large tablet for this that's the same size as an actual comic. Then, I might consider going digital.

I went the cheap route as I didn’t want to  spend the money for an IPad which would be ideal, but not if that’s all your using it for. I bought an RCA Tablet (10.1" 1080p full HD display, 32 GB) $150. Works great. And comixoligy has the ability to automatically zoom on each panel as you flip through for us older folk. 

On 8/27/2020 at 5:48 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

I highly, highly recommend Ice Cream Man. One of the best written comics of the past decade. Plus, the art by Martin Morazzo is nice. He uses a very thin line that fits the material really well. Here’s a page I just picked up from issue 20. 4B10642E-F19F-49E7-9897-9026123F33D8.thumb.jpeg.c2f68429d13eb10ef908c57759a9cced.jpeg

For more on the book: 

https://www.cbr.com/ice-cream-man-unpredictable-series-explained/

UPDATE: Martin Morazzo says his art is influenced by Moebius & Frank Quietly, which can definitely see. 

who sells his art?

On 8/28/2020 at 4:37 PM, rlextherobot said:

I am still mostly a reader and collector of Bronze and Copper age stuff books. The only art I'm specifically looking to buy is Doom Patrol related these days, which is fun as there's a lot of eras and artists to choose from. 

Ah, another focused collector! Welcome aboard.