• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Asm 238, one of my favorite books, but why?

12 posts in this topic

I love hobby, the saga was going on when I started buying asm as a kid, I saved $3 for my first 238, I pondered who it could be, I thought ned Leeds was a terrible reveal, I love the comic. But why on earth is it as expensive as it is? It isn’t THAT important a first, no media ties, not hard to find, why so expensive?

13 hours ago, shiverbones said:

I love hobby, the saga was going on when I started buying asm as a kid, I saved $3 for my first 238, I pondered who it could be, I thought ned Leeds was a terrible reveal

It was, for multiple reasons. There was an editorial mandate to wrap up the saga, so that's what happened. At least they eventually got Stern to somewhat fix the mess they made and reveal the truth.

13 hours ago, shiverbones said:

I love the comic. But why on earth is it as expensive as it is? It isn’t THAT important a first, no media ties, not hard to find, why so expensive?

It's just one of those books that gets a reputation and never loses it despite falling from grace and losing the relevance it once had. Yes, the Hobgoblin saga was a huge deal, but that was over three decades ago.

I love the book too. Cool cover, cooler villain.

To the extent that - when they were worth roughly the same back in the early 1990s, I picked this book over ASM 300.

I think the primary reason it's fallen from grace is he's never made a movie appearance, despite the Green Goblin appearing in *four* of the Spidey films so far.

At this point, it's unlikely he will, unless or until they actually try a Sinister Six movie.

Still a monster book, though.

I think of Hobgoblin as the hot new villain for most of the 80's. Obviously Venom came out in the late 80's and became bigger, but Hobgoblin (in some form or another) kept coming around. I liked the demon macendale version but I think the correction to Kingsley making at least 3 people in the costume cheapened the character and interest waned. There's a lot of cleaning up to do to make a riveting story. It's been tried but that fact only further muddies the waters for future appearances.

Maybe have a Ned Leeds son who wants to justify his father's death or something who can be a Hobgoblin without so much baggage. But honestly, for all I know, that has been done already (shrug)

On 8/28/2020 at 6:27 PM, shiverbones said:

I have appreciated the responses, and I guess it is similar to the first sabretooth, just never goes down, logic be damned. I just looked it up in the ‘92 overstreet, and was more expensive than 300, so I guess that sticks in people’s minds 

It does.  I still have in the back of my mind what books were selling for and were hot in the early 90s, even if many are now found in dollar bins XD

And keep in mind, in 92, hob gobby was still pretty hot.  He was still appearing in current books, and I think around that time you got hobgoblin possessed by a demon, and then demogoblin, which ran for a while and even ended up in the then-hot spirits of vengence books and maximum carnage.