• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Processes

6 posts in this topic

Interesting question.

I would say Encapsulation. Obviously, all 4 steps can potentially damage a book if done incorrectly, but I think that encapsulation has the potential to do the most damage if not handled properly by a professional. It's also where the product is finished, so I would think that all 3 other steps have been verified to be completed correctly by that time.

In terms of time spent:

1. Pressing. For two reasons. First, because the process just takes time. Faster presses are less likely to resolve problems and more likely to revert over time. No one wants that. And second, because slapdash pressing jobs can damage books, potentially irreversibly. I don't want my presser to cut corners and have that taken out on the book.
  2. Cleaning. Randy from Boise might take 5 minutes with a book and an eraser, but responsible and effecting cleaning is not fast. There's not usually as much danger of damage here as with a press, but nevertheless, processes intended to improve and conserve my books should be undertaken with care.
  3. Grading. Here, my opinion is a little different. Yes, encapsulation puts books at greater risk than the grading process does. But if I'm paying for grading, I expect the grading to be done in a thorough manner. As a percentage of all slabbed books, the ones with grotesque flaws seemingly missed in the grading process is small, but that really shouldn't happen. I want the graders to take the time to make sure they understand the book they are grading and the defects it presents in order to award an accurate, consistent technical grade. Even if that takes longer.
  4. Encapsulation. This process can, of course, damage books. Corners and edges can get caught and crushed by the clamshell, and so forth. But the thing is, CGC has customed-designed slabs and dedicated equipment. I don't want this process done carelessly, but the entire point of having a specialized process is so it can proceed in a timely fashion. Unusual books -- ones with significant spine rolls, or miscuts, or just weird things with nonstandard sizes, should take longer of course. But in general, typical SA and Modern sized books should be able to be encapsulated pretty quickly while still exercising due diligence and care.

1) Grading. I'm putting this at the top because I've had some good/bad experiences with resto checking.

2) Pressing. A lot of books can't be improved all that much from cleaning, so I'm putting this second.

3) Cleaning. See above.

4) Encapsulation. I know this is important, but this is the one area I DON'T want to have to worry about. The others are subjective and will have some variance. Encapsulation should not. It's like depositing my money at the bank and they try to upsell me on some type of fraud protection. If I have to pay extra for fraud protection from my bank, I'm changing banks. If I have to cross my fingers and hope the encapsulation doesn't damage my book, I'm going to hold off sending in books until there are some improvements.