• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will this temperature damage by comic?
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone!

I currently store my comics in a room that fluctuates between 70 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit. I have read that optimal temperatures are 65 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

do you think 1) the temperature at 75 degrees Fahrenheit could damage my comic books or 2) the fluctuation of the temperature could damage my comic books?

I am guessing that I am overthinking it, but I just want to make sure I am not inadvertently damaging my comics.

Thank you in advance to any replies, I am very new to the CGC community, but I can already tell you are a great bunch!

1 hour ago, thehumantorch said:

Welcome to the boards.

The environment you keep your collection in makes a difference.  Heat, humidity, and light are your enemies.  I'm in Northern Canada and our cooler, dry air tends to result in whiter pages and better preservation.

Thanks for the reply! do you think 75 degrees is too hot? I have also heard temperature consistency is important, is a 5 degree shift in temperature to inconsistent?

14 minutes ago, AndyFish said:

Depending on the size of the room a dehumidifier might not be a bad idea.  

The humidity stays constant at 44%. I have heard you do not want it to bee too dry or  too humid.

10 hours ago, ToiBoi said:

Thanks Andy, I appreciate the help! do you think the temperature is okay?

The Smithsonian recommends < 65 for archival paper. Many other facilities cite 70 as the top range. That said, I don't think 75 at 44% RH is going to do damage to your books in any really relevant time scale.

You might consider more complex environmental condition management if your collection includes issues prone to (or already displaying) paper degradation. I wouldn't keep a copy of All-Negro Comics at 75, but that's not a problem that I (or most of us) will ever have.

In a home where people actually live the temp is going to fluctuate some, heater on in the winter, A/C on in the summer, windows open fall and spring.

Anybody that stores their books in their home/apartment has their books stored in fluctuating temps between 65 - 80 degrees during the year unless they have a self contained/controlled environment room just for their comics.

My books have been stored in "normal" household conditions since 1979 with no issues, keep the books away from the heater/A/C vents if possible, the problems come from "extreme" temps, UV light, excessive moisture/water.

12 hours ago, ToiBoi said:

Thanks for the reply! do you think 75 degrees is too hot? I have also heard temperature consistency is important, is a 5 degree shift in temperature to inconsistent?

Sure, it's too hot for ideal storage conditions.  Over a long period of time you might see faster tanning of pages.  I wouldn't worry about 5 degree shifts in temp.

On 8/25/2020 at 11:47 PM, AndyFish said:

Depending on the size of the room a dehumidifier might not be a bad idea.  

I haven't used a dehumidifier in a long time, but are there models that don't produce heat as a by product of the process?

you make no mention of whether they are loose stacked or on backer boards in good quality bags. That's important. 

My ideal world would be about 60F, low humidity. low light in bags on boards. Take care to not stack them all in the same position . Best in good storage boxes, off the ground

2 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

you make no mention of whether they are loose stacked or on backer boards in good quality bags. That's important. 

My ideal world would be about 60F, low humidity. low light in bags on boards. Take care to not stack them all in the same position . Best in good storage boxes, off the ground

Raws are in mylar with full backs. Short boxes. Slabs are stored in boxes with spine down. :)

Edited by Silver_Couch_Surfer