• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Dylan Still Trying to Scam People with Restored Books?
6 6

404 posts in this topic

On 8/26/2020 at 10:26 AM, William-James88 said:

I have reached out to all buyers of all 4 comics informing them of the recall. I am attempting & putting forth best efforts to obtain these books at this current time & have already obtained 2 so far.

I held all 4 books in my hand fully taken apart to asses because of the ct. CGC did not have them taken apart whatsoever; Therefore I am the best person to make a judgement here.

I have a super strong ethical compass. I even returned to Greg Reece back $100 (he gave me too much) at a show a few years back. I run a legit honest business. I even charge sales tax if I am shipping to NYS unless you have a resale certificate. Most boardies cannot say that! 

I note restoration in all my raw books and almost never miss ANYTHING. I'm one of the best people at seeing this stuff & become super upset if I miss something; This is what I do to make my living.

If these books were graded by me, I would have noted the non additive restoration in the description as is right & just.

If CGC gave these purple labels, this never would have been an issue.

CGC SHOULD have publically apologized, taken responsibility & taken the CGC boards mafia off me admitting all fault. CGC clearly does not care about their dealers/submitters as them hanging me out to dry & taking no responsibility demonstrates.

There is a no verify information mentality on these boards and it is quite sickening. It is easy to go along with the crowd. I hate crowds & am willing to go in the opposite direction; Many people on the boards need to grow a pair of balls. 

If you don't buy comics from me, that's a mutual loss. If everyone ridiculously gets the Dylan is evil disease, I will just sell to a few dealers so you are not really dodging a hypothetical bullet anyway. You would end up with the EXACT same books; You just wouldn't know.

If you buy comics from me, I will give you the absolute best customer service I can.

Yes I am THAT guy who made the AF15 Video. You should watch, it is fing hilarious.

My opinion: CGC did not fck up here on the label. I do not believe the color touch was additive to the grade in anyway and should have been blue. These books were part of an original owner collection where the owner used marker for no fcking reason. I removed the marker that DID effect grade. Restoration is not restoration if it does not restore anything. They were not trimmed, you can see in the pictures that the edges are not short-that was a mistake by CGC.

I would appreciate a public apology from any ignorant person who said I was unethical. You didn't gather all the facts which is moronic.

Open mouth, insert foot...

There's a lot of questions, and misinformation so I'm gonna correct it. I see this thread is still active, so what me worry...#13 is my favorite

1. CGC has really bad QC problems, yet we keep choosing to send books to them. fool me once shame on me, fool me 2x.....

2. If these books were raw, it is the responsibility of the seller to note any major problems (ie resto), that would change the desirability of the book and be of major problem to the buyer

3. The books were sent to CGC for their opinion of the books. This entire thing is on them, not me. I've had books that have come back both half a point higher and lower than they should have IMO. It's not my job to tell CGC hey this should actually be .5 lower according to Dylan's sense of grading. CGC doesn't care what I think. I've put notes on books specifying problems and grades with books and they have ignored them completely. Nobody wants a lower grade then they are given. Anybody who says they will is lying. Let's say I got a 9.8, that I thought was a 9.6, that's great for me. If I sent a 6.0, and got a 9.8, I would think something was up and probably roast the hell out of CGC, and make them buy it for full 9.8 value especially considering they way they poorly have treated me. Why do you think people want Onsite Grading? They are hoping to get half a point higher and get it quick, plain and simple. Everyone wants higher grades. That's not unethical. If people didn't want the absolute highest grade possible than why would they get books pressed? 

4. Thinking on it I absolutely no doubt should have posted something in the description clarifying what the labels said. I think it would have made little to no difference, considering must people don't read the description anyway. I almost never to never put notes in the description on a slabbed book at auction. I treated these books like every other CGC book. 

5. The books did have resto removal so I did not think the color touch was additive. There's a difference between marker that adds to the grade and marker that does not add to the grade. We see this on Golden Books more than any other type It's a very advanced argument, in terms of understanding the nature of resto removal, so if you are not well adversed in this topic, please just ignore this #5. 

6. the books were not trimmed. CGC got it wrong. You can't say CGC knows better than me but then be upset that I let their label dictate over my opinion. I send them stuff because their opinion is $ worth more than mine in the mind of collectors. It's my opinion, or it's their opinion. There's no middle ground. You can use a service like CVA or note appeal but not technical measurable flaws, grade/resto status etc. There are guys on eBay who will sell a CGC book and will say LOOKS 8.0. I think those guys are not trustworthy. It's an 8.0, or it's not an 8.0. If you want to say it looks 8.0, you need to back it up with lots of evidence.

Claims not backed by evidence are garbage-I don't care whether you drive a Mercedes or a shopping cart. 

7. If I truly thought the books were error labels, do you think I would be stupid enough to put them up under MY name?

8. Why wouldn't I sell them to a dealer? (Because they'd say Dylan, this has color touch etc.), which proves that any knowledgeable person would understand that CGC thought they had those things wrong with them, the same can be said about consignment. 

9. Someone who can't read should not be spending thousands of dollars on a comic book. I know it's not what the collector community wants to hear but it's the truth. The same can be said about grading comic books or understanding how much money gets you want. If you have tons of money that's great, you can spend as much as you want. But personally, I wouldn't spend my money on things I don't understand.

10. It's not fine print or at least the intent is not for me to hide what cgc said about the books on the labels. They created the labels, not me, I am just the middleman.

11. I did cancel all sales as soon as I was told about the "error." Of course I wasn't happy about it. It's bad cashflow for me. 

12. that asm 7 was UPI relisted. After the whole boards "dylan is evil" thing, do you honestly think I would have relisted it on MY account? Not only is there no motive, but there's a clear motive not to do it.

11. You can knit pick books that some have been overgraded and some really have not but most just can't tell the difference. If most people knew how to grade accurately, there wouldn't be a need for CGC. Most of the market are blind buyers. If I say it's a 6, it's your job to say what you think the book is. If you can't make your own opinions what are you doing on planet earth? you're enslaved to others.

12. overgrading/undergrading has little to no correlation with price achieved at auction. It's the trust, need filled, and overally experience that the buyer has with the seller. classic example is mycomicshop. They undergrade a lot but it's not priced like the grade that is being sold if the seller wants it to move quick. Gary Dolgoff uses a similar strategy. Wide selection. inaccurate grading. great customer service. 

13. To prove #12, I did a case study a few months ago, and would slip 4 comic books in every auction. 2 vastly overgraded, and 2 vastly undergraded into the auction to see the correlation of grade & price. The results were that on a rare occasion the buyer would return the overgraded book, and would be thrilled with the undergraded. But nobody said anything on 95% plus of those case study books. The market corrects itself at auction. When the book had a ridiculous grade in either direction, people were forced to come up with their own conclusion. If a book was close to the actual grade, and had standard eye appeal people were more likely to pay based on the grade written vs their own opinions. I would get a few messages every month saying both my grading was spot on and that it was horrible and everything was a "FR" which I thought was hilarious because the opinions were so different. 

14. I got tired of a few buyers returning stuff every week so I decided to start grading more like Comics4less and Blissard. They have built great selling accounts and I plan on continuing to do the same. Since my new very very tight grading system I have received ZERO negative or neutral feedbacks only positive. 

15. I could sell everything without grades and still get OK mediocre numbers. It's not so much the grading. It's the customer's expectation VS what they received plain and simple. People are happy with what they buy from me. The experience is top notch. Nobody on the entire CGC boards has bought anything from me and posted it on the threads, with a negative experience. So in other words, you are all afraid of something you have never tried. I didn't like trying new foods either...when I was 5. We grow as individuals by being experienced to new things. 

16. Just so there is no debate, I posted a few books from one week of auctions on the WDYT the grade is area of the threads. the verdict was that my grading was on par. Considering boardies are tighter than ebay and normal collector's I would say it's undergraded to the average customer. People teased me about the Giggle 3, but those books speak for themselves. Check sold listings, go ahead.

Side note about the Giggle 3. At first glance to me the book looked 8.0, no major problems. It has spine ticks but that's about it. It also had foxing not mold. foxing and mold are not the same thing. foxing is before it becomes mold and they are graded very differently. this looked similar to an ASM 129 that I sold a few years back CGC 8.0. Customer returned the book, and I looked at it again and decided that is was NOT an 8.0. Mistakes happen. Grading a book correctly takes a lot of time, with this much material I had to go fast. I decided it was lower, so I lowered the grade. CGC does this also, they just don't tell you. Good for me for fixing it and learning from it. nuff said

4 hours ago, kav said:

You cannot unilaterally declare your own comedy material is 'hilarious'.  that's not how it works.

why not? in my opinion I am funny. If I'm not entitled to my opinion, than neither are you and you should delete your boards account so you can stop sharing YOUR opinion with everyone since you don't think opinions are entitled.

A better claim would be Dylan, just because you think it's funny doesn't mean everyone else will agree. 

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Quoting, before he hides this post.

I was getting harassed earlier, I hope this time will be different. It's not exactly fun to have a bunch of mobsters calling you unethical with no evidence that's not a debate or a trial that's a witch-hunt. 

1 hour ago, dylanthekid said:

Side note about the Giggle 3. At first glance to me the book looked 8.0, no major problems. It has spine ticks but that's about it. It also had foxing not mold. foxing and mold are not the same thing. foxing is before it becomes mold and they are graded very differently. this looked similar to an ASM 129 that I sold a few years back CGC 8.0. Customer returned the book, and I looked at it again and decided that is was NOT an 8.0. Mistakes happen. Grading a book correctly takes a lot of time, with this much material I had to go fast. I decided it was lower, so I lowered the grade. CGC does this also, they just don't tell you. Good for me for fixing it and learning from it. nuff said

So what grade do you now think the book is? Ebay listing for reference. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Giggle-Comics-3-CRESTON-1943-FN-VF-/224139292697?hash=item342fbe3019%3Ag%3A2iAAAOSwcFhfTD6h&nma=true&si=IagjADBW2AsoILk4ZWyLwZM9Dc8%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

giggle.PNG

Edited by wombat

1 hour ago, dylanthekid said:

Dude, that book looks like it was dragged through the Gulf of Mexico on a boat anchor...  

3 hours ago, dylanthekid said:

why not? in my opinion I am funny. If I'm not entitled to my opinion, than neither are you and you should delete your boards account so you can stop sharing YOUR opinion with everyone since you don't think opinions are entitled.

A better claim would be Dylan, just because you think it's funny doesn't mean everyone else will agree. 

Then say "watch the video in my opinion I am really funny"

Edited by kav

2 hours ago, dylanthekid said:

#13 is my favorite

11. I did cancel all sales as soon as I was told about the "error." Of course I wasn't happy about it. It's bad cashflow for me. 

12. that asm 7 was UPI relisted. After the whole boards "dylan is evil" thing, do you honestly think I would have relisted it on MY account? Not only is there no motive, but there's a clear motive not to do it.

11. You can knit pick books that some have been overgraded and some really have not but most just can't tell the difference. If most people knew how to grade accurately, there wouldn't be a need for CGC. Most of the market are blind buyers. If I say it's a 6, it's your job to say what you think the book is. If you can't make your own opinions what are you doing on planet earth? you're enslaved to others.

12. overgrading/undergrading has little to no correlation with price achieved at auction. It's the trust, need filled, and overally experience that the buyer has with the seller. classic example is mycomicshop. They undergrade a lot but it's not priced like the grade that is being sold if the seller wants it to move quick. Gary Dolgoff uses a similar strategy. Wide selection. inaccurate grading. great customer service. 

13. To prove #12, I did a case study a few months ago, and would slip 4 comic books in every auction. 2 vastly overgraded, and 2 vastly undergraded into the auction to see the correlation of grade & price. The results were that on a rare occasion the buyer would return the overgraded book, and would be thrilled with the undergraded. But nobody said anything on 95% plus of those case study books. The market corrects itself at auction. When the book had a ridiculous grade in either direction, people were forced to come up with their own conclusion. If a book was close to the actual grade, and had standard eye appeal people were more likely to pay based on the grade written vs their own opinions. I would get a few messages every month saying both my grading was spot on and that it was horrible and everything was a "FR" which I thought was hilarious because the opinions were so different. 

Is "13" really "13" above? Or is the second "11" really "13"? And is "13" really "15" and as Jimi would sing if "6" was really "9"?

Or is "13" above actually "13" but it is an ugly "13"?

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

So to line item #13 do you think it is fair that you stuck vastly overgraded books to 2 buyers?  

Honestly,  your way to do business choices are some of the worst I have ever seen.  

As a dealer it is your job to do the right thing,  accurately grade books,  be fair,  accept returns and not take advantage of others which ruins the business for all of us.   Nobody likes to tell a buyer that they were taken advantage of.  

I think it is fair, considering there was no difference in prices achieved. Bob you price things way higher than I do.