• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Dylan Still Trying to Scam People with Restored Books?
6 6

404 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, october said:

His grading is so bad it ventures well into scam territory. Pretty impressive that he was able to squeeze five full points of overgrading into a "6.0".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tales-to-Astonish-7-MARVEL-1960-Dinosaurs-1st-Anuxa-6-0/224130646704?hash=item342

4 hours ago, Chazgee said:

Weird how the title says it's a 6.0 but he calls it a 3.0 in the description.

f3a42b0:g:ddAAAOSw2WBfQx8Z

A fair number of his auctions have more than one grade.  His Tales to Astonish 7 isn't  even a 3.0.

4 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

To be fair, his auction text says 'approximately 8.0'

+ or - 10

5 hours ago, october said:

1 hour ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Did you miss this 8.0 he sold recently?

D3F9DA5A-4898-4166-AE4E-1CE5E1EB2658.jpeg

I was wondering when someone would bring up the Dylan 8.0385056276_GiggleComic3.jpg.d6739932ca4cb50df40100db08c7558d.jpg

19 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

I appreciate that you've dealt with this guy and like him but I can't understand why you're giving him a pass or any benefit of doubt.  He's well aware of the problem and he continues to try to profit from the situation rather than act honestly.  He's a slime ball.  A big one.

I never gave him a pass and I certainly don’t “like” him let alone know him. As is clear from ALL my posts in this thread I was unaware that this thread was actually an extension of another thread that contained information unknown to me. As far as the benefit of the doubt goes I’m not even giving him that. Just relayed his response to me. Doubtful I’d buy from him again (unless it’s a book I really want). I would be curious to know if CGC does have the slab back. 

11 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

I never gave him a pass and I certainly don’t “like” him let alone know him. As is clear from ALL my posts in this thread I was unaware that this thread was actually an extension of another thread that contained information unknown to me. As far as the benefit of the doubt goes I’m not even giving him that. Just relayed his response to me. Doubtful I’d buy from him again (unless it’s a book I really want). I would be curious to know if CGC does have the slab back. 

:tonofbricks:

23 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

"Scam?  Seems harsh as it is clear from the bidding that potential buyers so far know it is restored.  Plus CGC error labels are a thing so I don’t see why he has to return for relabeling.  I’d be a lot more comfortable with the listing if he mentioned the trimming as it’s glaring omission from the description could lead a buyer to think a fast one is being pulled. I’ve bought many times from this seller without a problem."

This post in the thread seems to be defending him and buying from him many times would indicate knowing him in a virtual sense but my incorrect assumption that you'd read the previous thread certainly colored how I read this post.  Apologies.

11 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

It's really sad in such a peaceful and awesome hobby like comic collecting that you have people who knowingly do wrong to others

well thats anywhere that money exchanges hands.

Will CGC be reimbursing all initial grading costs and shipping fees for Dylan to send these back?  Are they going to send him his books back raw?  QC needs to get a better handle on what goes out the door.

I feel that there is interest in "grading-error" comics (I have several).  However, as it's been noted, Dylan does not disclose that these are error grades and THAT is the problem.

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

Will CGC be reimbursing all initial grading costs and shipping fees for Dylan to send these back?  Are they going to send him his books back raw?  QC needs to get a better handle on what goes out the door.

I feel that there is interest in "grading-error" comics (I have several).  However, as it's been noted, Dylan does not disclose that these are error grades and THAT is the problem.

CGC calls it a mechanical error, they have their own department for that. They don't reimburse your original submission, they just cover all the expenses involved in your resubmission to them.

Also, I think it depends the error. For instance I have a Detective 400 that CGC indicated is a modern variant of sorts. It's just a mistake on the label, nothing all that interesting, it just raises more questions that I would need if ever I sold it, so I'd rather have the label be right.

Edited by William-James88

2 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

I tagged him and Brittany from CGC on page 1 so she can verify that they have the books and to see if they corrected the issue.

I would like to know this too. I know it looks like I am throwing this guy under a bus with starting this thread but the truth to the matter is, I just want our community to be in the know since I do find this to be a serious issue. Not just regarding Dylan's ethics, but the damage the error by CGC has caused. I hope the books are there and Dylan is simply someone unprofessional who would relist this by mistake.

2 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

It's really sad in such a peaceful and awesome hobby like comic collecting that you have people who knowingly do wrong to others

Nothing peaceful about this hobby Chris.

Like when a big seller holds an annual sales thread on the Boards..... it's like throwing chum into a piranha tank.