• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Dylan Still Trying to Scam People with Restored Books?
6 6

404 posts in this topic

"While we obviously cannot speak for what happens on eBay, we want to clear up any confusion surrounding this matter.  The Amazing Spider Man 7 (CGC Cert # 2331335005) referenced in this thread was indeed returned to CGC for corrective re-holdering/re-labeling.

As we mentioned in an earlier post on a related thread, due to an internal programming error, these books were all encapsulated with CGC’s blue custom Universal Label instead of the purple Restored Label. 

We believe that we have now corrected the programming error so that future mistakes of this kind should not happen going forward.  Since this correction is prospective, however, we certainly do appreciate when people bring these labeling mistakes to our attention so that we can rectify any pre-existing label errors that may be out there in the marketplace.

Again, we apologize for the error and for the inconvenience it caused."

24 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I think these books are going to cause tremendous damage to the CGC brand.

L.A. Noire "Doubt" / Press X To Doubt | Know Your Meme

I'm pretty sure this proves the opposite. CGC has what I would say is a beyond amateurish problem with these labels, to the point where it means some people at CGC don't even know their job outside of the one task they are assigned for (the person putting the coloured label inside the plastic never raised a hand after seeing that trimming was always getting purple labels and now not). And worse, they knew of this for months and didn't fix it. All that sounds terrible.

And yet, people are still submitting books and all the books getting record sales in these covid times are all in CGC holders. So their brand doesn't look hurt in the least. There are still a bunch of people sending in their VF Spideys 300 hoping they get back a 9.9.

19 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m sure CGC would make you whole if you bought a custom blue label with restoration.  It’s their f-up

I think the OP was talking more about impossible tasks like someone paying for a universal label and getting one of these, and then asking CGC to give them a universal book rather than a restored one. That's what I understood. 

10 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Wonder why he didn’t disassemble the book and scrape off the glue prior to submission....

because he is an honourable guy

9 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Nice try but the First Dylan thread identifying this issue was started 7/28/20.

You would have to ask if it is sill happening after that thread date.

That's not what they were talking about, they just meant that it's a bit nuts that after CGC knew of this in November, come June the error would still be there.

1 minute ago, MatterEaterLad said:

Several people earlier had mentioned CGC has known since last November. 

Is this incorrect? 

No, it is correct. Also, important to note, November is when CGC showed signs that they knew of this issue. The error may have begun as early as February 2019, when the new labels came into play.

12 minutes ago, Harshen said:

"While we obviously cannot speak for what happens on eBay, we want to clear up any confusion surrounding this matter.  The Amazing Spider Man 7 (CGC Cert # 2331335005) referenced in this thread was indeed returned to CGC for corrective re-holdering/re-labeling.

As we mentioned in an earlier post on a related thread, due to an internal programming error, these books were all encapsulated with CGC’s blue custom Universal Label instead of the purple Restored Label. 

We believe that we have now corrected the programming error so that future mistakes of this kind should not happen going forward.  Since this correction is prospective, however, we certainly do appreciate when people bring these labeling mistakes to our attention so that we can rectify any pre-existing label errors that may be out there in the marketplace.

Is CGC able to determine how many books in total had resto that were put in these blue labels?

5 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Did Dylan return the rest of his improperly labeled books?

Better yet, can CGC identify how many improperly labeled books went out during the impacted period vs how many that were returned for correction? Since it was a "programmatic" error, I'm sure they can run a report to see how many erroneous books there are.

We've identified at least half a dozen books (from Dylan's ASM's and that other Xmen#1), what % is that of what CGC knows?

-bc

Edited by bc
beaten by a wombat :(

I don't know diddley about Dylan's CGC books, nor do I care about it. But this looks like the spot to share my adventure with him.

I bought 5 raw books from him last year and was rudely surprised at the grading. 4 of the books were overgraded in my opinion. I contacted him, detailed all of the flaws and asked either for a refund of some type or a return. He asked me how much on the refund and I said 50%. It was too high for him. Fine. I'll send them back.

When I went to set up the return of the 4 books, ebay gave me 4 different shipping labels. I contacted Dylan and he told me to return them all in one RA. I called ebay and they said that I wouldn't be covered if I did this. However, if he were to send me an RA it would be fine and dandy. Once again I contacted him and explained the situation to him. Once again he demanded I send the books back using just one of ebay's labels. I called ebay again and got the same answer.

Here are the emails exchanged, which probably illustrates the situation better:

dylanuniversecomics:

I'm sorry you were dissatisfied. what do you believe is fair?

Your previous message

I'm not trying to rip you off and my intention was to ship the four books back. But ebay wants me to send them back in 4 different packages which frankly is unfair to you.I would be happy with a 50% refund on the 4 books which would come out to $38. That would also probably save you $12 to $15 in mailing fees as well the way they have it set up. Let me know if that is okay with you. If not I'll send them back.Thanks.

dylanuniversecomics:

please ship in one package. U get to combine why shouldn't I? Plus more work for everyone.

Your previous message

I just got off the phone with ebay. If you want these all sent back in one package, you will have to call them and they will tell you how to send a label covering all 4 books. Their number is 1-866-345-3229. They told me that if you don't do this within 48 hours, I have to send each book back individually to insure that I get credited for each books return. Heck of a way to run a railroad.

New message from: dylanuniversecomics (1,121Red Star)

not my railroad. Every buyer who has every sent a return has put them all in 1 even when it prompts you to do 4.

During all of this, I kept getting emails wanting feedback. We can't even get on the same freaking page and you want feedback?At this point I've reached the end of my tolerance and patience. I waited for him to send the RA. He didn't. So following ebay's procedures, I shipped 4 individual packages back.

I left one positive feedback and 4 neutrals. The neutrals were:" Disagreed with seller over grading. Seller refunded money". He actually posted under each feedback that this was a fair assessment of the situation. Then a few days later the neutrals are gone. I can only assumed he went to ebay and complained about that. At any rate, I made a mental note to skip anything he has listed on ebay.

A few days ago I got the 'put me on your favorites" message to my email account and my ebay message center:

I get it. It's a mass mailing. But if you think I'm adding him on to my favorite sellers list, I have a house of ill repute in Nevada to sell you. I blocked my email and if I get one more ebay message from him, I'll block him there too.

9 minutes ago, evilskip said:

not my railroad

Might not be your railroad, but we are both passengers on that railroad, and have to follow the conductor's instructions.

Edited by kav

38 minutes ago, Harshen said:

B33E7B3F-293E-4070-A1FF-927C9EE5F80A.jpeg

I think CGC should just do away with purple labels.  There have been far too many differences of opinion on what constitutes a blue vs purple.  The restoration work is all noted on these blue labels - it looks good.  2c

4 minutes ago, Gaard said:

Easy fix ... get rid of those stupid character labels. Nothing but a money grab.

Or make them available on all labels. What upsets me here is how dumb this whole situation is. All CGC had to do was program so that you can have character labels on any label, be it universal, pedigree, purple, whatever. 

Edited by William-James88