• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official TMNT Speculation Thread
14 14

1,211 posts in this topic

Funny a quick look on ebay and sure enough there are the insane asking $$$$ #1 9.8 3rd prints, I am all for free market, but there is a HUGE difference in a 3000 print run and a 30k print run on an established hot book which is what TMNT was by the time the 3rd print came around, much better places to put your 7/10k (lol) imho

Edited by I am not Glenda

4 minutes ago, I am not Glenda said:

Funny a quick look on ebay and sure enough there are the insane $$$$ #1 9.8 3rd prints, I am all for free market, but there is a HUGE difference in a 3000 print run and a 30k print run on an established hot book which is what TMNT was by the time the 3rd print came around, much better places to put your 7/10k (lol) imho

I really wonder if the people who are bidding understand that there are different editions. Maybe they see a third edition and think it's an incredibly cheap TMNT #1, so they snap it up.

16 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

Although, being printed in 2014, they're not exactly Copper Age books. :kidaround:

On 9/8/2020 at 5:12 PM, manetteska said:
On 9/8/2020 at 4:36 PM, old_dano said:

Just figured out it's the 6th print... and not worth much...

Just found a really high grade copy while sorting some books out.

Dan

Define “not much”; crappy condition copies are selling for $60 or so. 

Ahem.

The linked 6th print -- while initially looking great, is beat up on the back cover -- sold for $225.

So.. just imagine what a true high grade copy could/would bring.

16 hours ago, Hezi said:

Any input on some overlooked issues from the original run? I see #53 and #56 are now listed as keys on key collector when they weren’t previously listed just a few weeks ago. Any idea as to why?

46 has the first Space Usagi as a "prototype" - it's like a character file spread thing, like the DC Who's Who kind of. 47 has the first Space Usagi story as a back-up story, where Usagi meets Space Usagi.

I don't subscribe to GPA, so I get all my price estimates from gocollect.com. I noticed that sometime in the last 48 hours they substantially downgraded the prices of TMNT #1. A 9.8 has gone from $88,000 to $70,000, and a 9.6 has gone from $35,000 to $23,000. afaik there haven't been any recent sales data to support this. Any thoughts?

https://comics.gocollect.com/guide/view/298985

1 hour ago, tvindy said:

I don't subscribe to GPA, so I get all my price estimates from gocollect.com. I noticed that sometime in the last 48 hours they substantially downgraded the prices of TMNT #1. A 9.8 has gone from $88,000 to $70,000, and a 9.6 has gone from $35,000 to $23,000. afaik there haven't been any recent sales data to support this. Any thoughts?

The whole list of prices looks suspicious - like some "global calculation update" changed all the values without using any recent sales data.

The last two sales for CGC 8.5 are $15,500 and $16,177, but the GoCollect value of a CGC 9.4 is only $15,500? 

CGC 9.0, 9.2 and 9.4 should be significantly more than $1,000 increments above the 8.5 price.

The most recent sale is a CGC 7.0 for $9,600 but GoCollect says that's a $6,250 book.

Bad mathematical formulas give bad results.  I people would each pay me $9/month for bad math.  Bad math is really cheap to produce. lol

11 minutes ago, valiantman said:

The whole list of prices looks suspicious - like some "global calculation update" changed all the values without using any recent sales data.

The last two sales for CGC 8.5 are $15,500 and $16,177, but the GoCollect value of a CGC 9.4 is only $15,500? 

CGC 9.0, 9.2 and 9.4 should be significantly more than $1,000 increments above the 8.5 price.

The most recent sale is a CGC 7.0 for $9,600 but GoCollect says that's a $6,250 book.

Bad mathematical formulas give bad results.  I people would each pay me $9/month for bad math.  Bad math is really cheap to produce. lol

I also wonder if they had a server crash and restored from an earlier version. The TMNT prices look very similar (possibly identical) to what they were two or three months ago. GSX1 prices appear to have done the same. (A couple months ago they were raised, and now they're back to about what they were before they were raised.)

In any case, I'm relieved that TMNT hasn't suffered a major crash. :)

14 minutes ago, valiantman said:

You should look at their ASM 300 values - they've been undervalued for weeks, then had a slight bump across all grades yesterday, and now it's been downgraded again...

I did notice the used to show stuff currently for sale on eBay and it looks like that stopped working...

Edited by Jesse-Lee

2 hours ago, tvindy said:

Not sure about the 9.6 prices, but besides the rather dubious outlier of a sale at the $90K price point that went through Heritage last summer when all other previous prices were only in the mid to high $30K's, is there any real reason why it should be at $88K as opposed to only $70K which seems to be a much more accurate valuation for this book right now?  hm 

If anything, that $88K price estimate appears to be more of an mathematical error based upon some incorrect price estimate algorithm than anything else.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure about the 9.6 prices, but besides the rather dubious outlier of a sale at the $90K price point that went through Heritage last summer when all other previous prices were only in the mid to high $30K's, is there any real reason why it should be at $88K as opposed to only $70K which seems to be a much more accurate valuation for this book right now?  hm  (shrug)

It's not so much the dollar values per se as it is the fact that gocollect suddenly decided to lower them significantly when there is nothing (that I know of) in the market to indicate that values have gone down recently.

2 minutes ago, tvindy said:
10 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure about the 9.6 prices, but besides the rather dubious outlier of a sale at the $90K price point that went through Heritage last summer when all other previous prices were only in the mid to high $30K's, is there any real reason why it should be at $88K as opposed to only $70K which seems to be a much more accurate valuation for this book right now?  hm  (shrug)

It's not so much the dollar values per se as it is the fact that gocollect suddenly decided to lower them significantly when there is nothing (that I know of) in the market to indicate that values have gone down recently.

FYI:  This book was raised up to the $85K price estimate when that supposed sale of a CGC 9.8 graded copy sold at eBay for something like $79K back in June of this year.  When it was pointed out on the boards here that this was an obvious fraudulent sale done only to manipulate the TMNT 1 market prices in both GPA and GoCollect, the price estimate came right back down to the high $60K's or there about and have bounced around there since then.  :gossip:

It is rather obvious that there are some rather questionable speculators out there trying their best to falsely manipulate the price of this book.  Are you actually aware of any sale for this book in CGC 9.8 above the $70K mark that would warrant the $88K price estimate as it appears to me to be more of a computerized mathematical algorithm that was flagged and has now been manually corrected.  hm  (thumbsu