• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official TMNT Speculation Thread
14 14

1,222 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

WHAT IS HAPPENING WITH TURTLES? Seriously, even half this amount would have been pushing it for a 5th print!!!!

2129710294_ScreenShot2020-12-10at7_17_18PM.thumb.png.7428f6be899cf31a293f46550353bcd7.png

30+ years old, combined with people getting lots of experience paying hundreds of dollars for later printings of brand new comics.  These start looking like a bargain when you've paid thousands for comics from the past five or ten years.

11 minutes ago, dem1138 said:

Question - whats the story on interior dual signed 1st print copies?  If I recall correctly, weren't these copies the ones people bought directly from them at signings?

7AB46E1A-F747-4046-BF59-39894D7D9D0C.jpeg

Until recently, it was common for writers and artists to sign on the interior - so it could have been signed when it was new in the 1980s or later.  Signing on the cover probably wasn't a "normal thing" until the mid-1990s.

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Until recently, it was common for writers and artists to sign on the interior - so it could have been signed when it was new in the 1980s or later.  Signing on the cover probably wasn't a "normal thing" until the mid-1990s.

Yes but I believe there are several 1st print #1s signed this way so wanted to see if anyone had any further info on them.  Thanks

Some big surprises tonight!

the yellow 9.0 outdid a blue 9.4 #1 by $10k

the blue #2 outdid the yellow #2 by $700

the 5th print is crazy...no clue that was going to happen...I think I gave away a NM+ one of these in the “pay it forward” thread 6 or 7 years ago...

im still digesting the rest...

Edited by pubmonkey

52 minutes ago, pubmonkey said:

Some big surprises tonight!

the yellow 9.0 outdid a blue 9.4 #1 by $10k

the blue #2 outdid the yellow #2 by $700

the 5th print is crazy...no clue that was going to happen...I think I gave away a NM+ one of these in the “pay it forward” thread 6 or 7 years ago...

im still digesting the rest...

I know many of us have had these books for years, because we had them in our collections to fit the runs, etc. I am totally astonished at many of these prices. All of the one shots got some crazy money- actually everything. Yes, the biggest surprise for me was the 9.0 Turtles. It was from Kevin’s collection, but $40K++ Wowza!!!!

@dem1138 You are correct. The majority of these first printings with dual/single sigs were from early signings of the book when it came out. Mine is dual signed on the inside as well. 

Hey guys, 

Huge Turtles fan and was lucky enough to get a lot of issues from a collector months ago.  Some amazing stuff and thought I would share the number 1.  It is signed by Eastman and Laird & more with sketches, certified by JSA.  Pretty special book and just LOVE IT! 😱

Love hearing all the stories so please share   Looking forward to seeing what other Turtles books take off   Thanks 

5F343DB7-D5E8-42E8-8171-E51720E480D2.jpeg

8B84B241-5780-422B-B4BB-409045DC1C32.jpeg

Edited by Gruson

Sorry if this was already posted but was there anything special about this collection that would warrant all the record prices?  Number 1 first prints I can understand people going nuts for, and even the #2 first prints..but the one shots , I bought a pair of CGC 9.8s off the boards just for kicks for 100$ a year ago...what was the print run on those?  

2 hours ago, dem1138 said:

Yes but I believe there are several 1st print #1s signed this way so wanted to see if anyone had any further info on them.  Thanks

Just to add a note in regards to the #3 variant... I would say it's safe to assume most of the interior signatures were done at the NYCC in 1985. It would be hard to pinpoint any other issue getting signed at a particular event. 

38 minutes ago, szav said:

Sorry if this was already posted but was there anything special about this collection that would warrant all the record prices?  Number 1 first prints I can understand people going nuts for, and even the #2 first prints..but the one shots , I bought a pair of CGC 9.8s off the boards just for kicks for 100$ a year ago...what was the print run on those?  

Donatello's final price ($720 in 9.8) was definitely a shocker but they have been far and few for the last 2 months, and the demand is there. The only surprise for me about Raphael ($5040 in 9.6) was that it has taken 35 years to get there, it is one of the original oversize issues after all. Michaelangelo ($600 in 9.8) was better than expected. Leonardo has always trailed Raphael but been ahead of the other 2 ($506 in 9.6)

1 hour ago, Sauce Dog said:

Now we just need to have one of the 9.8 signature series come to market and see how that sells :D  

That's going to be quite something when it happens. @Icculus308win has the best of the best 9.8 copy IMO; it's blue label with sigs from the 80's and is white pages. I find the yellow label #1's just don't look as pristine (amazing as they are of course!!)

Edited by pubmonkey