• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official TMNT Speculation Thread
14 14

1,211 posts in this topic

I also think based on some of the posts here some collectors feel like its an either or kind of thing, meaning if you collect heavy in the Bronze or Modern age your not a fan of the Golden or Silver age era, which is just silly. The reality is all the action right now is in Bronze to Modern era because to some extent its where a lot of collectors can afford to get into the hobby (& damn it's a lot fun right now). Keeping this post on topic I would again reference Archie TMNT #1 as an example the reason it's now a 1-2k book is because TMNT #1 First Prints have now been priced out of the range of a lot of new or younger collectors but collectors still want to have a TMNT key in their collection & be part of the club. 100% NM98 or ASM #300 in 9.8 is a lot of cash for a lot of people ( myself included) but 9.0 is not and for $800 bucks you can get a key with a character that is very relevant and popular & you don't care how many old timers say "but do they know how many are out there"?  I mean how cool is it t own the first appearance in comics of Bebop & Rocksteady if your 25 yrs old?

Edited by I am not Glenda

Hey I love the book . I love the turtles 

5 hours ago, I am not Glenda said:

No that's not my theory its a fact & what's laughable is just because you don't happen to know any 40 year olds who are putting down that kind of money you assume it's not happening. I mean this sincerely let me know if you want to get in touch with a few of them and you can look at there collections, I know a guy who is 44 yrs old and last week dropped 90K on a Jordon collection and another buddy of mine who is in his 40s (a Dentist) dropped 100k on a prototype Bobba Fett Action figure recently. Another fact is TMNT #2-4 ,Ralph, #3 variant (2nd & 3rd prints) and any of the Gobbly books have all had substantial increases over the same time frame as #1 first print better yet  just go take a look at the TMNT Archie #1 these days ( this was a $1 bin book not to long ago). I mean its just crazy for anyone to assume this is not real or its some dealer/auction house manipulation. Drop in on Heritage recent sales & take a look at Nintendo sales, Magic the gathering or the big dog Pokemon. I guess that's all 60 year olds who just happen to be part of a Pikachu investment firm? 

I love the turtles I’ll wait to see where the dust settles . As for the Nintendo and Pokémon I don’t know much of that . 

10 hours ago, Hulksdaddy1 said:

Done. Yes, numbers prove it. 6000 2nd to 3000 1st. 1st is way rarer, in any grade. CGC will show that, eventually. You're not one of those low pop guys, are ya? "Only two 9.8s!" "Yeah, only 3 graded bro." :facepalm:

Look at the census numbers please . The second print is way rarer with next to nothing graded compared to 1st prints 

4 hours ago, ectocooler said:

Like others have stated not everyone has submitted their 2nd prints to CGC because for a while it wasn’t really worth it. Here’s my mid grade 2nd print I’ve had for over 20 years just chilling in my office all raw like. It has signatures on the inside front cover so if I was to resell I’d likely sell it raw. I have a graded VF first print so I’ve only really kept this around because I have the first ~10 reprints of issue 1.

very nice sigs! great book!

I'd still get it graded but ask for a blue label. 2c

5 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

Look at the census numbers please . The second print is way rarer with next to nothing graded compared to 1st prints 

You keep conflating numbers graded with rarity. The 2nd print is twice as many as the 1st. That's what matters.

5 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

I get what you're saying and I share the sentiment although my version is that yes there are more 2nd prints but there are fewer in high grade. This to me says there is a lot of room for the 2nd print to catch up (in high grade) to 50% value of the 1st print. There were still only 6000 printed and 2nd prints were treated as readers in my day. The mid to lower grades I cannot speak for but they will tag along at some level. 

How many 2nd prints were damaged by trying to make them look like 1st prints? bleaching, scraping of the "2nd print"...It was a real thing, I remember it well from those days...:preach:

16 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

According to that theory in 20 years time the kids that grew up with miles morales will want his books and Tmnt will be new Roy Rogers ? What’s your point ? It’s Tmnt time now ? 40 years in I hope so but 100K for 9.8 or other high grades in the price points they are fetching is pretty nuts . Why haven’t issues 2-4 followed ? Early TMNT and important imo . The generation that grew up Tmnt I’d love to meet people 40 or under paying 60K and up for top tier grades . It’s laughable . 

I'm one of those.  Mid 30s.  Have invested in TMNT books, including 1-10.  I'm sure there are many others in 30s and 40s like me.

10 hours ago, I am not Glenda said:

No that's not my theory its a fact & what's laughable is just because you don't happen to know any 40 year olds who are putting down that kind of money you assume it's not happening. I mean this sincerely let me know if you want to get in touch with a few of them and you can look at there collections, I know a guy who is 44 yrs old and last week dropped 90K on a Jordon collection and another buddy of mine who is in his 40s (a Dentist) dropped 100k on a prototype Bobba Fett Action figure recently. Another fact is TMNT #2-4 ,Ralph, #3 variant (2nd & 3rd prints) and any of the Gobbly books have all had substantial increases over the same time frame as #1 first print better yet  just go take a look at the TMNT Archie #1 these days ( this was a $1 bin book not to long ago). I mean its just crazy for anyone to assume this is not real or its some dealer/auction house manipulation. Drop in on Heritage recent sales & take a look at Nintendo sales, Magic the gathering or the big dog Pokemon. I guess that's all 60 year olds who just happen to be part of a Pikachu investment firm

Haha.  Can we talk about how funny this last line is?  There's definitely a 60+ Pikachu investment firm out there.  bahah.  Well said Not Glenda :roflmao:

24 minutes ago, pubmonkey said:

very nice sigs! great book!

I'd still get it graded but ask for a blue label. 2c

You think it’s worth it? I’d only sell if I got the expensive non-turtle book I’m trying to track down and needed some cash. I figured it being mid grade and the signatures on the inside it would sell better raw. I do appreciate everyone talking about 2nd prints because it reminded me to send it for a pressing.

13 hours ago, Hulksdaddy1 said:

You keep conflating numbers graded with rarity. The 2nd print is twice as many as the 1st. That's what matters.

Why? How many copies of the second exist out there ? I’m constantly hearing how out of 3000 first prints only 1/3 have been “found “ graded so according to that the second print in high grade is tougher book . Those are stats I have from go collect and cgc . That’s all