• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official TMNT Speculation Thread
14 14

1,222 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, spracknetch23 said:

I don't know how that 9.2 Adventures 1 is going so high. It just broke $1k while there's a 9.4 on Ebay right now for BIN $300....

It's wild!  I think the same guys that were betting back and forth on the #1 were battling on this one too!  More as a contest than anything else??  Haha

I just sent Tmnt #2 1st and 2nd prints to CGC the other day. Both copies are signed on the inside cover by Eastman and laird. Can’t wait to see the final grade.  Also if an adventures #1 9.2 is a 1400 book what’s my 9.8 signed by Kevin worth?

B785D8B7-F552-449E-9CBD-17AD263C9279.jpeg

$88k for a 9.6 is crazy, especially when HA just sold one for a mere $66k. I used to be of the opinion that it was always better to go with HA for selling comics, since even though it charges a hefty 20% in commissions, it usually makes up for that by attracting higher bids. Maybe that is true for less in-demand titles, but it looks like TMNT #1 is so highly sought after that the bidders will go after it wherever it pops up. This is especially relevant to me, because I have a 9.6 that I intend to one day sell. And for the first time, I am considering using an auction house other than HA.

Edited by tvindy

4 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

I was just having the conversation the other day that I have no idea why anyone would sell with heritage these days on a blue chip key. I could stand on a street corner and sell a high grade tmnt #1 at this point, why am I going to give 30% to heritage? Both comiclink (which has been on fire lately) and comicconnect only charge 10%. Id need to be seeing 20% over hammer prices from HA to justify selling with them, and lately their prices have been “ok”. I think they’re going to have to start adjusting their BP and commissions to remain competitive in comics. 

The common response is: If it's a big enough key or you're selling enough $$ volume in one swipe, you negotiate a kickback on the BP from HA.  But I absolutely agree that, even after getting a piece of the BP, they're hard pressed to show enough value-add to justify the extra vig. 

8 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

I just sent Tmnt #2 1st and 2nd prints to CGC the other day. Both copies are signed on the inside cover by Eastman and laird. Can’t wait to see the final grade.  Also if an adventures #1 9.2 is a 1400 book what’s my 9.8 signed by Kevin worth?

B785D8B7-F552-449E-9CBD-17AD263C9279.jpeg

sharp looking books!

your 9.8 #2 SS by Eastman would go for $5k-$7k...

4 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

These prices don’t make sense to me especially the Adventures book????? I have to ask what is going on there ?

They haven't been worth submitting to CGC until recently, so the apparent "low CGC census" is pushing prices higher while being an illusion of scarcity.  "Fear of missing out" is driving the prices into a place they can't maintain once all the available copies of Archie publications that definitely exist are submitted to CGC. 

Early Mirage publications are well-documented relatively low numbers, while Archie publications would have been everywhere at the time... in large numbers.  It's a late-1980s TMNT with a #1 on the cover, but it has always been considered a "so what?" book (until recently).

Edited by valiantman

19 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Early Mirage publications are well-documented relatively low numbers, while Archie publications would have been everywhere at the time... in large numbers.  It's a late-1980s TMNT with a #1 on the cover, but it has always been considered a "so what?" book (until recently).

I just realized a good parallel might be Tales of Suspense #39 (1963) Iron Man vs. Iron Man #1 (1968). hm

I disagree that it’s the cgc census driving prices. It’s nostalgia for the Fred Wolf Turtles driving prices on it. There’s a lot of merch and hype for the 80s toon turtles right now. It also has the benefit of having first appearances of Bebop/Rocksteady/Krang. It’s establishing itself as a key right now, similar to ASM 300. If a bunch of copies suddenly get slabbed at high grade it’ll likely just keep prices level instead of growing. Only way I see it cooling is if we’re in a bubble that pops and everything collectibles drops.

13 minutes ago, ectocooler said:

I disagree that it’s the cgc census driving prices. It’s nostalgia for the Fred Wolf Turtles driving prices on it. There’s a lot of merch and hype for the 80s toon turtles right now. It also has the benefit of having first appearances of Bebop/Rocksteady/Krang. It’s establishing itself as a key right now, similar to ASM 300. If a bunch of copies suddenly get slabbed at high grade it’ll likely just keep prices level instead of growing. Only way I see it cooling is if we’re in a bubble that pops and everything collectibles drops.

You may be right, but I know that I've got probably 8 to 10 copies of TMNT #1 (Archie) that I picked up for $1 through the years.  That never happened with ASM #300.

I actually don’t know much about ASM so apologies if it’s not the best example. I’m mainly a TMNT guy, and I’m seeing it everywhere right now. I used to pick up the Playmates figures carded for $10-15. Within the last few years those have exploded into the hundreds or even thousands. I was looking through and old toy fare magazine last night and this made me laugh.

94060F8E-8F0B-4102-8E14-6B0609DB6B27.jpeg