• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official TMNT Speculation Thread
14 14

1,222 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, pubmonkey said:

A few interesting auctions on HA ending in 3 days:

Raphael CGC 9.8 SS Eastman

TMNT #2 CGC 9.6

TMNT #4 2nd Print CGC 9.6 Manufacturing Error

Any speculations on the hammer prices?

If I don't bid on them tree fiddy

If I do bid on them

VigorousNastyIchneumonfly-size_restricted.gif

8 hours ago, cbmitch said:

Wow...$1k for tales #4.  Crazy price for first rat king...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353465000296?hash=item524c27e168:g:jH4AAOSwGSpgf2s4

Wow, that was dollar box stuff for so long. Cool thing is that is his actual first appearance in anything, not just first appearance in comics like Bebop and Rocksteady in Adventures #1. Tales 6 is the same way with Leatherhead. 

2 minutes ago, spracknetch23 said:

Wow, that was dollar box stuff for so long. Cool thing is that is his actual first appearance in anything, not just first appearance in comics like Bebop and Rocksteady in Adventures #1. Tales 6 is the same way with Leatherhead. 

Maybe the fact that these were dollar box books for decades leads to the fact that there is only 5 in 9.8 right now.  I completely agree that this and tales 6 (1st Leatherhead) are really cool books. A tales 6 9.6 sold last night for $175.  That has low census numbers also. 

1 hour ago, spracknetch23 said:

This is where things get complicated though with first appearances. Tales of the TMNT is a side world of the original mirage books. So if you read only the main title books you never know leatherhead. Now if your nostalgia for the character comes from the cartoon, then it really isn’t his first appearance, because the cartoon version of leatherhead was a Cajun man turned into leatherhead by Mary bones. Whereas the tales origin was an alligator accidentally exposed to the mutagen while living with the utroms. To me, it’s like the people claiming the second print cover of 7 is the first appearance of krang, even though there’s no krang thoughout the book. Sure there’s an utrom in a robot Which resembles krang butttt it’s not the krang we know and love. His first appearance would be in the 88 Archie book along with bebop and rocksteady.  To me Archie issue 6 is the actual first appearance of leatherhead because it’s Jess Hurley turned into an allegator. 

I disagree on Leatherhead, just because the cartoon and the archie comic took some liberties doesn’t change the fact that tales is his first appearance. You’re opening up all sorts of arguments with that one, and where would it end? Baxter Stockman was black and not a fly. Splinter was an actual rat and not hamato yoshi himself. Etc...

Good point but the Turtles themselves could also be subject to the same standards. They didn’t have multi color bandanas, love of pizza or say cowabunga constantly in the original comics. Also the cartoon Leatherhead had an even different origin. He was originally a regular Florida swamp gator accidentally mutated by disposed mutagen. He was only originally Jess Harley in the Archie books. 

It's been a few quiet months with no sales of #2 in these grades:

TMNT #2 CGC 9.8 SS Eastman                                     $6800   April 29 (last sale Dec 10 $3360)

TMNT #2 CGC 9.8 blue label (signed eastman/laird)     $4884  April 15 (no previous sales)

TMNT #2 CGC 9.8 blue label                                          $3900   April 1st (last sale dec 11 $3500)

...a small bump for universal grade and a big one for yellow label. blue label signed continues to hold a premium...

4 hours ago, pubmonkey said:

It's been a few quiet months with no sales of #2 in these grades:

TMNT #2 CGC 9.8 SS Eastman                                     $6800   April 29 (last sale Dec 10 $3360)

TMNT #2 CGC 9.8 blue label (signed eastman/laird)     $4884  April 15 (no previous sales)

TMNT #2 CGC 9.8 blue label                                          $3900   April 1st (last sale dec 11 $3500)

...a small bump for universal grade and a big one for yellow label. blue label signed continues to hold a premium...

Dont forget the 2nd print 9.8's, its what I own lol

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Dont forget the 2nd print 9.8's, its what I own lol

9 x #2 2nd print 9.8's in 2021 so far. Last Sale was yesterday at $895 but it reached $1035 on Apr 13

no yellow label sales this year, last one in Dec ($780) and there were only 3 in the last 12 months

1 x #2 3rd print 9.8 in 2021 for $1175. Last sale was in Dec at $549. No yellow labels recorded as sold.

This one leaves a bitter taste for me as my 9.8 downgraded to a 9.6 when I had it signed back in 2014. The 9.6 goes for less than a third of the 9.8...

26 minutes ago, pubmonkey said:

1 x #2 3rd print 9.8 in 2021 for $1175. Last sale was in Dec at $549. No yellow labels recorded as sold.

This one leaves a bitter taste for me as my 9.8 downgraded to a 9.6 when I had it signed back in 2014. The 9.6 goes for less than a third of the 9.8...

I'm assuming if you're into pressing then you did have it pressed after the sig took place, if not pressing may be an option. I'm awaiting a mag that had a fairly decent grade at 8.5, which is pretty high for a Nintendo Power, but it's been at cgc since last December and only got signed two weeks ago lol

I'm on pins an needles awaiting return

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

9 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm assuming if you're into pressing then you did have it pressed after the sig took place, if not pressing may be an option.

I didn't think it would fall in grade so I didn't order a press. Same thing happened to a couple of other books from the same signing. The whole process just takes such a long time that I don't want to send them anywhere for 6+ months to maybe get the same grade back. Besides, I am not sure how much longer I will hold on to the collection...today's prices are just too tempting.

Edited by pubmonkey