• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official TMNT Speculation Thread
14 14

1,211 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

Damn, I remember picking up NM copies for $75, and that was only a few years ago.  I guess I need to start submitting my other copies.  I have a 9.4 slabbed, and a bunch of raw NMs, one of which is double signed by Pete and Kevin on the inside cover.  

I bought my first #2 in 1987 at a convention for $50 and a #3 for $35 (was a double cover but I didn’t know until I got home). The prices stayed pretty much in that arena until a few years ago. It has been a long wait for these prices to shoot up...

29 minutes ago, dem1138 said:

What would a 9.4 White (1st print) be worth these days?  I might have a line on one to sell...

Tough to know for sure without seeing a copy hit like a no reserve auction somewhere now. On eBay Comicmylars had his 9.4 listed at roughly $40K best offer, and now he’s bumped it to $55K but no offer. With 8.5’s selling in the $17K range, I’d imagine a 9.4 would sell at least around $32K-$35K at auction, but maybe more.

5 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Tough to know for sure without seeing a copy hit like a no reserve auction somewhere now. On eBay Comicmylars had his 9.4 listed at roughly $40K best offer, and now he’s bumped it to $55K but no offer. With 8.5’s selling in the $17K range, I’d imagine a 9.4 would sell at least around $32K-$35K at auction, but maybe more.

The last 9.4 on eBay sold for $17,250.43 on July 19th.  I don't see it doubling in value in a month.  The 8.5 on eBay sold for $15,500 BIN on August 9th.  At auction?  I'm thinking $23-25,000

29 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

The last 9.4 on eBay sold for $17,250.43 on July 19th.  I don't see it doubling in value in a month.  The 8.5 on eBay sold for $15,500 BIN on August 9th.  At auction?  I'm thinking $23-25,000

Actually that's not correct. This 8.5 just sold for a little over $16K (that's pre sales tax) on Ebay and that was after the BIN you brought up: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-1-FIRST-PRINT-CGC-8-5/264837307360?hash=item3da9889be0:g:7PQAAOSwubdfPKid 

Comparing this book in any grade or sale between now and July 19th is not even remotely the same. Sales from then to now are literally night and day. The 9.4 you referenced was purchased right as the book became hot, literally the moment. As far as this 8.5 auction goes, the BIN you referenced and the 7.5 that sold for $12,500 on C'link (pre sales tax), they are clear indicators a 9.4 would sell for considerably more now. Definitely more than $23K-$25K. Oh and that 7.5 sold for double in less than a month.

Edited by LDarkseid1

4 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Actually that's not correct. This 8.5 just sold for a little over $16K (that's pre sales tax) on Ebay and that was after the BIN you brought up: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-1-FIRST-PRINT-CGC-8-5/264837307360?hash=item3da9889be0:g:7PQAAOSwubdfPKid 

Comparing this book in any grade or sale between now and July 19th is not even remotely the same. Sales from then to now are literally night and day. The 9.4 you referenced was purchased right as the book became hot, literally the moment. As far as this 8.5 auction goes, the BIN you referenced and the 7.5 that sold for $12,500 on C'link (pre sales tax), they are clear indicators a 9.4 would sell for considerably more now. Definitely more than $23K-$25K. Oh and that 7.5 sold for double in less than a month.

The 8.5 was Best Offer Accepted, $15,500.  

12 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

The 8.5 was Best Offer Accepted, $15,500.  

Yes, but not this one haha: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-1-FIRST-PRINT-CGC-8-5/264837307360?hash=item3da9889be0:g:7PQAAOSwubdfPKid

2 8.5's sold in the last month. The one you're referencing and the one I'm showing.

Edited by LDarkseid1

7 hours ago, dem1138 said:

Appreciate this!  So if you had a 9.4 white, what would your 'bottom line #' be?  40k?

Yeah I mean like I originally said and imop, I could see a 9.4 going for somewhere over $30K at auction. That's just my feeling based off what I've seen sales be up to this date. I could be wrong, but it's my thoughts.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 8/31/2020 at 2:10 PM, szav said:

Any indication that page quality is making a difference in price lately?

Also FTR always felt #2 was very undervalued.  Not like 15,000 is a giant print run and it’s such a great cover.

And for whatever reason I rarely saw 9.8 #2s with white pages... it always seems to be ow/w.

I haven’t really noticed a trend in page quality. There don’t seem to be enough copies to be picky.

20 minutes ago, pubmonkey said:
On 8/31/2020 at 1:10 PM, szav said:

Any indication that page quality is making a difference in price lately?

Also FTR always felt #2 was very undervalued.  Not like 15,000 is a giant print run and it’s such a great cover.

And for whatever reason I rarely saw 9.8 #2s with white pages... it always seems to be ow/w.

I haven’t really noticed a trend in page quality. There don’t seem to be enough copies to be picky.

Other than 2 side by side same price and grade, the white pages would sell, I mean if you have white pages more then likely you'll get the going price.

Not to just say the obvious but it's worth stating imo. If anyone is looking for a copy they might not be picky, but deem the going price worth the sale :)

this is a speculation thread hahah, so I may get to say this just to say something haha

9 hours ago, GM8 said:
11 hours ago, pubmonkey said:

A #2 9.8 universal sold last night on eBay for $2800... (thumbsu

O.o wow

Interesting that even that copy was OFF-WHITE to WHITE on the page quality.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363086875659

Maybe more surprising is a TMNT #2 CGC 9.4 with OFF-WHITE pages selling for $825 last week:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313174922190

Edited by valiantman

2 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Is that a for real sale? I mean is it possible? 

3400.00 for a second print 8.0?

Yep, as of now it appears to be super real. I treat it like it’s innocent until proven guilty. If it finds its away back up for sale with the same seller then we’ll know the truth.

Edited by LDarkseid1

1 minute ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Yep, as of now it appears to be super real. I treat it like it’s innocent until proven guilty. If it finds its away back up for sale with the same seller then we’ll know the truth.

Wow! I almost got a mind to sell my 8.0, but not really.