• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thank You and Salutations to comic collectors
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Hello fellow comic lovers,

I would just like to say Thanks, and Salute all of the collectors of comics who have taken the time to care for their comics properly. As a collector, and aficionado( I guess) of graded books, I appreciate the beauty(yes) of comic art. Books 30, 40,50 + years old, still as magnificent and pristine as the day they were printed. Definitely reflected in the prices right! I won't drone, just wanted to show my thanks after having received a recent CGC 9.8 purchase, that was a beaut. Picture DID NOT do justice to the book. I'd submit  a pic, but like I said, it won't do this book justice

Keep up the good work fellow collector's - Cheers!

Plenty more collectors with OCD perfectionism here, including me.

Edited by Ken Aldred

7 minutes ago, bc said:

Instead of collector, I prefer "steward".

I prefer 'Guardian of the Sacred Pamphlets'.

I take my comics seriously.

7 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

tenor-12.gif

Absolutely.  

This image perfectly describes the underground nature of being a comic collector in the UK when I started back in the 1970s.

Misunderstood, marginalised outcasts, gathering occasionally, coven-like, in small hotel exhibition rooms, religiously enthusing about the sacred pamphlets, the thrill of their acquisition, and our creator icons.

Then, it would be a return to school and the closet, to the predictability of being just another regular nerd, of understanding that disclosure of this alternative lifestyle would be sadistically mocked by your peer group. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

9 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Flawless.  Newsstand fresh.

there might be spine tick over bottom staple not sure pic kinda blurry.

15 minutes ago, kav said:

there might be spine tick over bottom staple not sure pic kinda blurry.

Yup.  Minor damage like this was common on the comic book racks due to our persistently rainy weather here in the UK, especially at exposed sites such as bus stations. Luckily, the comics were only around for a month and the damage was limited, as can be seen from the image.  

Edited by Ken Aldred

10 hours ago, bc said:

Instead of collector, I prefer "steward".

My goal is to maintain the quality of the books while they are in my care, so the next steward can enjoy them as much as I do.

Welcome aboard!

-bc

I agree.

Great analogy. 😊

As been said here. I am merely just a caretaker of these wonderful artifacts of America’s past. In the hope that there will be kids in the future that will also gaze up on them and wonder what it was like in the “old days”.

When I pass on to the great comic book con in the sky, I hope to meet up with Edgar Church and say thanks and let him know I took real good care of some of his treasured comics.