• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do You Still Have the First Comic Book OA Piece You Ever Got?
1 1

33 posts in this topic

A collector is another name for a hoarder who thinks his stuff is worth something, or so my son tells me, and to some extent I think he is right. Yep still have it. An unpublished cover for Rogues Revenge TPB, one of two Kolins did that was never used when they crammed the six issues back down to three and dropped a character (or two). I was a noob and later wondered if it was just a drawing until I saw Scott post it up somewhere. It is now the first of my " Unpublished covers collection", which keeps getting bigger, even though I am not looking for them. Got another one last week. (sigh). Put Flashes Rogues on it with half decent art and I will certainly be looking for it.

1 hour ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

A collector is another name for a hoarder who thinks his stuff is worth something, or so my son tells me, and to some extent I think he is right. Yep still have it. An unpublished cover for Rogues Revenge TPB, one of two Kolins did that was never used when they crammed the six issues back down to three and dropped a character (or two). I was a noob and later wondered if it was just a drawing until I saw Scott post it up somewhere. It is now the first of my " Unpublished covers collection", which keeps getting bigger, even though I am not looking for them. Got another one last week. (sigh). Put Flashes Rogues on it with half decent art and I will certainly be looking for it.

Presumably, your son doesn’t care for old photographs of the family, or visit art museums.

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

Presumably, your son doesn’t care for old photographs of the family, or visit art museums.

Actually that is absolutely correct . No he is rather pragmatic and counts value in the terms of dollars. Nice man though has created a sort of mini bird sanctuary on his property.

22 hours ago, dichotomy said:

As a new collector, absolutely! I was reading Yale Stewart’s JL8 online and then he started posting some pieces for auction on eBay. He did a Zatanna I really liked but lost out on, and then when this piece came up I made sure to snag it. It didn’t kickstart my collecting though because the strip and art are still outside mainstream comics for the most part. But paying for it helped me absorb prices at my first con, which resulted in some spectacular pieces that I might have balked paying for had I not been indoctrinated with this piece. I have the original in my den, and a color print that Yale sent hangs in my son’s room. 

I'm a fan. I have a few commissions that he turned into prints and a few of his strips.

You can see them all here, but I'll show a sample:

Li'l Legion/LSH (a JL8 spin-off) by Yale Stewart, Comic Art0k0th0DQ_2701150757591.jpg

On 9/2/2020 at 5:38 PM, davidtere said:

I wasn't collecting OA back in the mid / late 80's but a dealer had this on their table asking 35 bucks. I loved Everett's run on Subby (both the GA issues and also Bronze Age Marvel issues 50 - 61 which I purchased off the stands) so I had to shell out that $$ when I saw it. 

IMG_2427.jpg

Kind of makes me wonder how much "lost" art isn't really lost--just temporarily "misplaced".

I have the first published piece of comic art I ever got-a 16th birthday gift from my parents (you can see it on the YouTube Video Felix did when I was on his podcast a few years ago) and I honestly cannot remember if the first piece of  sketch art I got was a Val Mayerik Conan sketch or if it was a Reed Crandall ERB drawing-I have the Mayerik but not the Crandall. Since it was 45 years ago I will admit I don't have perfect recall. I do have the hand colored  print by Gonzalo Mayo colored by Kenneth Smith that I got at the same show because I couldn't cough up the extra $15.00 to get a Frazetta print colored. I also have my tattered copy of Origins of Marvel Comics that Stan Lee signed for free after waiting in a short line-things were definitely different in the summer of 1975.   Benno

On 8/28/2020 at 11:44 PM, exitmusicblue said:

Yup, this Ron Lim page from V:LP - https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1426997

And in fact, like our good OP here, I was very into regularly creating hopefully-insightful thread topics on these here OA boards.  Plenty boardies humored me back then... little did I know they were helping to dig the rabbit hole deeper. lol

Really dig that page. That’s your gallery my friend? So many cool pieces. Nothing like the first time though says 🍇 +🦍...

”That’s what she says,” replies Michael Scott.

Great thread.

39 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Really dig that page. That’s your gallery my friend? So many cool pieces. Nothing like the first time though says 🍇 +🦍...

”That’s what she says,” replies Michael Scott.

Great thread.

Yessiree!  If you go into the CGC boards' settings and enable Signatures (Forums -> My Settings -> Signature Settings), you can see many boardies' CAF links. : )  Onward grape + ape !