• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Book came back damaged

17 posts in this topic

I went to a local comic shop and submitted through them. When I picked up the book today I noticed this corner damage, which wasn't there before when I dropped it off at the store. Has anyone seen this type of damage and know what could cause it?  

2nd photo is the best one I have of it before it was sent off.

Id also like to note that the grader notes do not mention anything about the corner damage, and there are 2 small light scuffs on the front of the case.

15987463275372197180945261819598.jpg

IMG-20200104-WA0012.jpeg

Edited by tylerindo

On 8/29/2020 at 8:14 PM, tylerindo said:

I went to a local comic shop and submitted through them. When I picked up the book today I noticed this corner damage, which wasn't there before when I dropped it off at the store. Has anyone seen this type of damage and know what could cause it?  

Id also like to note that the grader notes do not mention anything about the corner damage, and there are 2 small light scuffs on the front of the case.

The grader notes don't mention much in these higher grades, so that's expected. 

I have seen that damage, it's a dent if the corner hits anything. That could have happened if the person from your comic shop dropped the book at anytime, or by accident hit the corner of the book against the box he was shipping it in (along with other submissions). It could have happened during travelling if the book was not secured properly and hit against the side of the box. It could have happened at CGC, though that one I doubt because usually they tell you if something like that happens. 

Best guess is it happened between you handing it over to the comic shop and them sending it to CGC. Did you opt to have your book pressed by CGC? Because that would eliminate it being the comic shop's fault. If not, then it's probably the handling of the book when preparing for shipping (or during shipping). It didn't happen once enclosed, pretty sure of that.

CGC then graded it accordingly, giving it a 9.2 due to that corner dent.

And cases are easy to scuff, so that could have happened anytime. If your comic shop recieved lots of submissions back, then cases rubbing against eachother as they were put away and stacked together could have caused that.

The good news though is that this can be fixed with pressing the book, so you could still get your higher grade. But you'll have to spend to get it pressed and regraded (which would now be an extra $60)

Edited by William-James88

On 8/29/2020 at 6:14 PM, tylerindo said:

15987463275372197180945261819598.jpg

IMG-20200104-WA0012.jpeg

Sorry to see this.  Problem you have is the damage could have  happened at the LCS where you submitted it, during pressing assuming you had it pressed, during shipping to CGC or back from CGC

Thanks for the insight. My lcs opted not to press it which was odd to me considering its in the nm range. Agreed on not being able to prove the damage, its a bit upsetting as the damage came after I sent it in. I might go to another shop and have them press and resubmit. In the near future im going to buy a press and submit myself so it doesnt happen again.

Edited by tylerindo
cuz

8 hours ago, tylerindo said:

Thanks for the insight. My lcs opted not to press it which was odd to me considering its in the nm range. Agreed on not being able to prove the damage, its a bit upsetting as the damage came after I sent it in. I might go to another shop and have them press and resubmit. In the near future im going to buy a press and submit myself so it doesnt happen again.

What was the name of the LCS, so we know to avoid the shop.

9 hours ago, kustomizer said:

Jeez, I would not put a book with that corner damage in the 9+ range.

Thats what I think too. Which leads me to believe it didnt get damaged until it was at the cgc being encapsulated. I would have pressed it first and would never submit it looking like this. 

The CGC said I can send it back to get fixed. Does that mean theyll press the book to fix the bent corner or just reslab it as this case is scuffed and scratched? 

Im not sure if they will assume responsibility for this. Maybe id be better off getting it pressed and resubmitted through a different lcs.

Before sending it back or doing anything you should clarify with Cgc what they are willing to do for you for what cost (If any), and what additional options (possibly pay options) you have.

In the event you decide to press and resubmit at full price, consider getting a membership for yourself, they may have a plan appropriate for you (or maybe not), probably worth a look though.

18 hours ago, kustomizer said:

Jeez, I would not put a book with that corner damage in the 9+ range.

Corner damage like that will get 9+ range. It's a tiny corner bend that doesn't break any colour, and it only looks big because of magnification. If that's the only defect, then 9.2 makes sense. Logically, this didnt happen during encapsulation, but before. As written elsewhere, there is no record for CGC ever admitting to be wrong on a grade, and unless the book currently shifts a lot while shaking the slab around, then it would be more logical to think this happened before.

Anyways, we've all seen worse on 9.2s before. 

image.thumb.png.13f675edbc73cb0349d3fc7fb55a91ee.png

21 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Corner damage like that will get 9+ range. It's a tiny corner bend that doesn't break any colour, and it only looks big because of magnification. If that's the only defect, then 9.2 makes sense. Logically, this didnt happen during encapsulation, but before. As written elsewhere, there is no record for CGC ever admitting to be wrong on a grade, and unless the book currently shifts a lot while shaking the slab around, then it would be more logical to think this happened before.

Anyways, we've all seen worse on 9.2s before. 

image.thumb.png.13f675edbc73cb0349d3fc7fb55a91ee.png

That Spidey isn't as bad as the Spawn by any means. It's not bulging or misshapen, more like slight wear with minor colour loss.

Edited by kustomizer
typo

20 hours ago, kustomizer said:

That Spidey isn't as bad as the Spawn by any means. It's not bulging or misshapen, more like slight wear with minor colour loss.

I hope my bend presses out. Im taking it to a different shop in a few months and hope they can repair this. So pisssed about this