• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Buscema Family Owned art eBay sale final $83,100 ???
1 1

64 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

It's not a recreation. The line work and signature match exactly.  There are always multiple variations with recreations. This was the real deal, and looks great.

You’re  obviously an artist I admire greatly Scott. What do you think of the work John did on these individual characters and the piece as a whole? From an artists perspective. 

Edited by grapeape

4 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

For that money, I'd buy a plane ticket an pick it up personally. 

Of course, I'm the guy that left a piece in an airport so maybe USPS would be better. :)

I had inquired about having the artwork picked up but he didn't want people to know where he lived. Wonder what other original by his grandfather he got in the will?

Edited by Brian Peck

1 hour ago, Brian Peck said:

I had inquired about having the artwork picked up but he didn't want people to know where he lived.

Personally I'd love to own that piece and it's a great story but his response might have been a deal breaker for me.  For that kind of money the seller better grow up and be a little more transparent with someone who has forked over that much money.  Trust goes both ways.

Edited by ThothAmon

The grandson was surely unaware of his grandfather's connection and place in comics.  He should have at least consulted his granduncle Sal. 

The original listing was a BIN $3,995 and included free shipping.  At that point, he would probably be willing to meet someone in person.  If I had been that buyer, I wouldn't have been "understanding".

Out of curiosity, does this and recent passing of Chadwick Boseman have any affect on the Buscema/Klein page 1 splash to Avengers 58 in the 9/10/20 HA auction ?

Edited by Will_K

11 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

It's excellent work by JB in my opinion. It looks like he put real effort into it (at a time when he would sometimes just phone it in). Solid drawing and nice varied ink line. While I remember the image from my collecting days, it doesn't have much nostalgia for me and it was never anything more than a large, cool pinup to me. That said, the classic cast of characters, general artistic quality and it's vintage would make this a worthy addition to any JB fan or hard core Marvel fan.

Great insight Scott. I met JB at SDCC shortly before he passed away. We talked and I showed him a Silver Surfer Page I owned. “I did that” he said taking the page from my hand. I watched him amazed as he went back in time examining his work. We talked about Dan Adkins who inked the Page. JB was kind and considerate. It was a thrill for me. So sad when he passed but his legacy is assured.

I guess for me the biggest thrill is that Johns grandson benefited from the sale. This was nuts to watch an auction like this go down on freakin ebay

A great piece of artwork.

2 minutes ago, Will_K said:

The grandson was surely unaware of his grandfather's connection and place in comics.  He should have at least consulted his granduncle Sal. 

The original listing was a BIN $3,995 and included free shipping.  At that point, he would probably be willing to meet some in person.  If I had been that buyer, I wouldn't have been "understanding".

Out of curiosity, does this and recent passing of Chadwick Boseman have any affect on the Buscema/Klein page 1 splash to Avengers 58 in the 9/10/20 HA auction ?

That’s a great question. I think it will have an affect on the desirability of that splash. It will be contested fiercely I feel certain.

As for the buy it now that is a disturbing trend and eBay lousy at protecting a buyer. I am happy for Buscema’s legacy that a mind blowing 30 character pen and inked JB masterpiece wasn’t sacrificed for $3995. The grandson certainly was ill advised on that first attempted sale.

Remember The Wolverine wraparound cover? that “sold” for 25k I think and the seller refused to honor the sale and the cover sold privately. You can get your heart broken on eBay.

13 minutes ago, Will_K said:

The original listing was a BIN $3,995 and included free shipping.  At that point, he would probably be willing to meet someone in person.  If I had been that buyer, I wouldn't have been "understanding".

I agree.  I'd be leaving a big fat "negative".  

Not too sure why his passing would affect the value of anything Black Panther.  There will be another actor to step in and fill that roll.  

Edited by pemart1966

35 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Personally I'd love to own that piece and it's a great story but his response might have been a deal breaker for me.  For that kind of money the seller better grow up and be a little more transparent with someone who has forked over that much money.  Trust goes both ways.

Yes “Ant” made a point about not allowing for a pickup. Honestly for $83,100 that is the only way I would have done the deal.

In “Ant’s” defense it’s understandable he doesn’t want to lose anonymity. He is in possession of other art (can’t wait) and may have security concerns. But there are ways to do this.

One way I’ve picked up art is to arrange an exchange at a public place (bank lobby) safe for both and doesn’t betray where the seller resides. My 2 cents.

Edited by grapeape

To me, the ebay and PayPal business models seemed to have diverged at one point.  In my mind, ebay started favoring 1 side of the transaction (re: negative feedback) and PayPal started favoring the other side (refunding without recourse).  Now that they're separate companies again, I can see it being even more stressful, which is probably why ebay's default payment method is credit cards instead of PayPal.

1 hour ago, stinkininkin said:

It's excellent work by JB in my opinion. It looks like he put real effort into it (at a time when he would sometimes just phone it in). Solid drawing and nice varied ink line. While I remember the image from my collecting days, it doesn't have much nostalgia for me and it was never anything more than a large, cool pinup to me. That said, the classic cast of characters, general artistic quality and it's vintage would make this a worthy addition to any JB fan or hard core Marvel fan.

Scott,

I think alot of John's disinterest in many of the super hero comic he drew was with drawing teams and their interactions. More of the story telling. Since this was just a static shot, he could just concentrate on the figures.

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

Why? When you win a piece at auctions you do not know who the seller is. Many times buyers want the same. Just because you are paying alot of money for something doesn't mean you get to know everything about a seller. The point I made earlier, if he has other art by his grandfather he doesn't want collectors to know where he lives. If they pay that much for a piece who knows if they might greak in and want more.

23 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

Why? When you win a piece at auctions you do not know who the seller is. Many times buyers want the same. Just because you are paying alot of money for something doesn't mean you get to know everything about a seller. The point I made earlier, if he has other art by his grandfather he doesn't want collectors to know where he lives. If they pay that much for a piece who knows if they might greak in and want more.

Of course he doesn’t need to share where he lives and maybe eBay requires third party delivery for items of that value. My point was, eBay gives a buyer the sellers address anyway so what he is trying to protect he can’t. If a buyer wanted to meet at the local police station to pick up it would certainly save the seller some major headaches also.  Shipping super expensive art is no fun based upon my experience. 

1 hour ago, RBerman said:

I was struck by it being a 1978 Marvel piece with the Warriors Three (or at least two) and not the X-Men.  Their star had not quite ascended then, and certainly not associated with JB.

Funny - my favorite Buscema story, hands down, is this one: https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Marvel_Spotlight_Vol_1_30

It's incredibly well-written and illustrated. Always wished they'd done a follow up.