• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Buscema Family Owned art eBay sale final $83,100 ???
1 1

64 posts in this topic

While the result was a strong one, It would not surprise me if a dealer purchased it and will mark it between 100-125k.

Regarding shipping and insurance, this is one big reason why I have private insurance. The policy would cover items in transit to me, though obviously a rider would be needed for an amount this large.

2 hours ago, glendgold said:

Funny - my favorite Buscema story, hands down, is this one: https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Marvel_Spotlight_Vol_1_30

It's incredibly well-written and illustrated. Always wished they'd done a follow up.

Oh yes that’s a good one. Great you bring this one up!!

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

This piece made me reevaluate John Buscema a bit.  I think Buscema is not viewed by many in the hobby as being on par with the architects of the Marvel Universe (Kirby & Ditko), and probably a lot of people weigh his importance a fair bit below Romita as well.  That said, looking at this piece, it made me realize that it's Big John's images of many of these characters that represent the most iconic versions of them of that era, which are arguably the quintessential versions of them out of any era. 

I like Buscema's work but, on the whole, never considered him among my favorites...but, the more I looked at this piece, the more I loved it.  By the time the auction ended, I was kicking myself for not going after it.  I have no direct nostalgia for it, as the 1978 poster isn't something I was previous familiar with, but, looking at these versions of all these characters, it really brought me back to when I had an Avengers lunchbox back in the late '70s or early '80s (something I had totally forgotten about until staring at this piece took me back into a time warp); I think this piece is so great for a lover of Bronze Age Marvel.  It's the closest thing to a one-and-done piece you'll find that encapsulates that era. 

this was interesting to hear. i'm sure you are right about buscema's place in the hobby, as you have a great deal of experience and knowledge in the OA scene. based on some conversations i have had with friends, i would venture to guess that if you asked most comic book artists their opinion, they'd rate buscema well above romita. i know that i would. 

1 hour ago, grapeape said:

Oh yes that’s a good one. Great you bring this one up!!

I love this splash.  Look at the details in the background. For instance: Volstagg running out the door, plowing into those guys while an Asgardian wedgie is being delivered.

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 10.19.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 10.19.58 PM.png

“None of these things include comic book art.”

This is a reminder to me that my children and my children’s children are likely to have different interests than me. So when I buy OA, I buy for myself and with only me in mind. I don’t fool myself into thinking my comic art are heirlooms or something else they are not. And I certainly don’t use the idea of a family inheritance to justify the bigger purchases. 

1 hour ago, John E. said:

“None of these things include comic book art.”

This is a reminder to me that my children and my children’s children are likely to have different interests than me. So when I buy OA, I buy for myself and with only me in mind. I don’t fool myself into thinking my comic art are heirlooms or something else they are not. And I certainly don’t use the idea of a family inheritance to justify the bigger purchases. 

“And I certainly don’t use the idea of a family inheritance to justify the bigger purchases.”

I’m afraid I’m not as strong as you John E.

1 hour ago, ESeffinga said:

GrapeApe saying he gives comic art to all family as “gifts” also. 

“Happy Birthday honey” gives some Chaykin Flagg art.”

“Hey sweetie, happy anniversary.” Gift is Kirby Kamandi. “You know, for the spot over the sofa.”

“One day this will all be yours kid ape.”2313B96D-10FF-4395-B12B-41F5CCD969DE.gif.e6b3663ffed476dbf4ee33d25c042a0c.gif

18 hours ago, delekkerste said:

This piece made me reevaluate John Buscema a bit.  I think Buscema is not viewed by many in the hobby as being on par with the architects of the Marvel Universe (Kirby & Ditko), and probably a lot of people weigh his importance a fair bit below Romita as well.  That said, looking at this piece, it made me realize that it's Big John's images of many of these characters that represent the most iconic versions of them of that era, which are arguably the quintessential versions of them out of any era. 

I like Buscema's work but, on the whole, never considered him among my favorites...but, the more I looked at this piece, the more I loved it.  By the time the auction ended, I was kicking myself for not going after it.  I have no direct nostalgia for it, as the 1978 poster isn't something I was previously familiar with, but, looking at these versions of all these characters, it really brought me back to when I had an Avengers lunchbox back in the late '70s or early '80s (something I had totally forgotten about until staring at this piece took me back into a time warp); I think this piece is so great for a lover of Bronze Age Marvel.  It's the closest thing to a one-and-done piece you'll find that encapsulates that era. 

I guess my take is similar and yet different.

I'm not a huge fan of the artist, but I'm a huge fan of this piece.     It was meant to be a showcase piece for a book about his art, and you can see the pride he took in it.

Reread through the beginning of the thread. Above all an incredible story how this terrified piece of art comes to the eBay market.

The provenance 

The family connection

The final winning bid

All the contributions from you guys on so many points of interest. I think there’s more here for this thread to accomplish . You guys are great I enjoy all the varying  perspectives.

Keep at it lads....and ladies?

Art is for the soul

art is for everyone 

Edited by grapeape
Accomplish not complain

On 8/30/2020 at 7:25 PM, grapeape said:

Great insight Scott. I met JB at SDCC shortly before he passed away. We talked and I showed him a Silver Surfer Page I owned. “I did that” he said taking the page from my hand. I watched him amazed as he went back in time examining his work. We talked about Dan Adkins who inked the Page. JB was kind and considerate. It was a thrill for me. So sad when he passed but his legacy is assured.

I guess for me the biggest thrill is that Johns grandson benefited from the sale. This was nuts to watch an auction like this go down on freakin ebay

A great piece of artwork.

That's awesome that you got to meet John. He's on my short list of artists that I wish I had met.

21 minutes ago, fsumavila said:

That's awesome that you got to meet John. He's on my short list of artists that I wish I had met.

I was so fortunate. A great man honestly a good soul. I think he’s a giant in this thing of ours. He’s near the top for me.

I'm about to reread a book (graphic novel) I had as a kid and haven't looked at in many years. Back then, I didn't pay attention to what artists drew what comics; I just liked certain characters and art. But since I'm posting here, you already know who drew it. There's a pretty interesting forward in it that I'll share excerpts from, because I think others will appreciate it.

"It's all John Buscema's fault! He wanted to create his own Silver Surfer story, and he wanted to illustrate it his own way - using only one illustration to a page!"

"Then came the sticky part - getting someone to pen the wondrous words and passionate phrases with which to tie the whole unique endeavor together. Well, apparently all the other writers were out to lunch at the time, 'cause yours truly got the nod."

"As for me, my biggest problem wasn't scripting the yarn; it's a picnic writing copy for Johnny's layouts. No, the thing that tore me up was trying to figure out where to place the balloons and captions without damaging any of the Master's artwork! I'm such a fan of his, that each time I had to toss some copy over one of his fabulous figures or brilliant backgrounds, it was a tortuous, heart-rending moment, like sticking a little dart smack into my heart!"

- Stan Lee

For me, this specific book, Silver Surfer: Judgement Day, is probably my favorite Buscema work.

judgement.jpg

Edited by BuraddoRun