• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does Hush even have a first appearance?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I know it sounds like a noob question, but I am a Batman fan who has been reading the main title (and others) since the Hush storyline and the whole point of the character is that he was not a "new" character afterall (not gonna spoil the story). So since Hush was just a fake out, at least initially, does he have an actual first appearance. The character we now know as Hush in the cannon is Tommy Elliot, but is there an issue where Tommy Eliot is Hush and it's determined to be his first appearance (that being Tommy under the bandages)? And is it at all deemed a key within the comic market?

10 hours ago, William-James88 said:

I know it sounds like a noob question, but I am a Batman fan who has been reading the main title (and others) since the Hush storyline and the whole point of the character is that he was not a "new" character afterall (not gonna spoil the story). So since Hush was just a fake out, at least initially, does he have an actual first appearance. The character we now know as Hush in the cannon is Tommy Elliot, but is there an issue where Tommy Eliot is Hush and it's determined to be his first appearance (that being Tommy under the bandages)? And is it at all deemed a key within the comic market?

I was led to understand that Tommy Elliot's 1st app. was Batman 609.

Edited by Randall Ries

21 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Yeah that's Tommy Elliot, but he isn't Hush there and doesn't take up that name/mantle until later.

I thought Tommy Elliot IS Hush and they figure that out later in the storyline. So you are saying there was another character called Hush before the Hush storyline in Batman 608-619? Or Hush was featured before the Hush storyline in another title or the Batman title? It's intriguing because there doesn't seem to be any notations as to "Hush's" first app. 609 simply says "Ist App Tommy Elliot (who later becomes Hush.)" Even when Elliot appears as Hush, it is referred to as "Tommy Elliot appearance". Not "1st Tommy Elliot appearance as Hush". I guess I don't know enough about this to provide an answer. Only that Tommy Elliot was discovered to be "Hush".

Wiki says: "An origin story for Hush is given in Detective Comics #846–847."

Edited by Randall Ries

3 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

I thought Tommy Elliot IS Hush and they figure that out later in the storyline.

They dont figure it out later in the story  since Riddler is revealed to be behind it all, not Tommy. 

Only in later issues does Tommy Elliot become the Hush we know of today.

That's why CGC has no first Hush notation I think. It's a very weird character  origin, publication wise.

49 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

They dont figure it out later in the story  since Riddler is revealed to be behind it all, not Tommy. 

Only in later issues does Tommy Elliot become the Hush we know of today.

That's why CGC has no first Hush notation I think. It's a very weird character  origin, publication wise.

I'll be. I forgot about that. What would instigate Elliot to become someone he was likely unaware of?

31 minutes ago, littledoom said:

Clayface in the form of Jason Todd dressed as Hush should be considered the first Red Hood... that's in one of the Hush issues towards the end

Isn't detective comics 168 the first app of red hood?

@Wolverinex I guess 609 is it, but in a roundabout way since Tommy Elliot ends up  being the Hush we know today. Still interesting that there is no such thing as a slab with the words  "first appearance of Hush".