• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your go to Jim Lee key?
5 5

137 posts in this topic

Jim Lee is one of my favourite artists, and while I love his art, I can't think of a big key of his. With other artists, there are these clear key issues that come to mind in terms of characters they created. Like with McFarlane I think of ASM 300, ASM 361 for Bagley, DD 168 for Miller, UXM 221 for Silvestri, XFactor 6 for Guice, Avengers Annual 10 for Golden, Killing Joke for Bolland and so on. 

So, just wondering, what is your go to Jim Lee key book. And would that be the book you'd get him to sign if a chance occured?

Just now, bpc3qh said:

I associate Hush with him more than anything else, but that's a run of 12 issues...

As do I, along with his X-Men run, but that's the thing, it's more of a body of work. Looking at prices for Jim Lee books, it seems like Batman 608 second printing is the book of his that's the hottest. Anyone know if there is a bigger key than that for him?

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

Jim Lee is one of my favourite artists, and while I love his art, I can't think of a big key of his. With other artists, there are these clear key issues that come to mind in terms of characters they created. Like with McFarlane I think of ASM 300, ASM 361 for Bagley, DD 168 for Miller, UXM 221 for Silvestri, XFactor 6 for Guice, Avengers Annual 10 for Golden, Killing Joke for Bolland and so on. 

So, just wondering, what is your go to Jim Lee key book. And would that be the book you'd get him to sign if a chance occured?

I don't know if I would call it a key because it can be found relatively cheaply... 

But... I mostly associate him with the wraparound X-Men 1 book.

As previously mentioned, Hush...

And... a signature series book I sometimes regret selling... but I put it toward buying something else... 

(image is still in my comiclink purchases)

Lee doesn't seem to have any keys but he definitely has some sensational covers and iconic images like the X-Men 1.

I had flipped this... 

image.png.65f768792cc2056a24c47a6c9da67a00.png

What i dont like abt Jim Lee is first he draws like so many other artists.  second and most importantly he has no design sense.  He just draws a wad of superheroes on a cover for example.  As an artist it grates on my eyes.  Design is numero uno.

In the Superman cover there is no attempt at design-just a standard hero pose with the awkward clenched fists.  The cape does not resemble cloth he has made no effort to study the actual motion of a drape of cloth in the wind.  The left thigh is shorter than the right.  The right knee is well not even there.  The standard superhero grimace.  The background he has made no effort at perspective just a flat cut out.  There is nothing about that cover that i have not seen a million times.

1 hour ago, kav said:

In the Superman cover there is no attempt at design-just a standard hero pose with the awkward clenched fists.  The cape does not resemble cloth he has made no effort to study the actual motion of a drape of cloth in the wind.  The left thigh is shorter than the right.  The right knee is well not even there.  The standard superhero grimace.  The background he has made no effort at perspective just a flat cut out.  There is nothing about that cover that i have not seen a million times.

I agree with all the points, and yet I think that this is why he is so beloved. He really gives you the iconography of Superheroes being removed from reality. They aren't real, they are only ever present on the page, hence why that cloth isn't behaving realistically. It only exists within that static drawing. Everything is big poses. We have seen it a million times, but he sets out to do the one everyone will use from here on out, the defacto image. 

Others have tried since and well... not so great

FRANK MILLER & JOHN ROMITA JR.'S SUPERMAN: YEAR ONE ARRIVES THIS JUNE IN  COMIC SHOPS WITH COLLECTION IN NOVEMBER | DC