• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your go to Jim Lee key?
5 5

137 posts in this topic

In addition to the covers or contributions to those, he also did a bunch of the Infinite Crisis  and All Star Batman as well as other have mentioned he has been credited with creating several characters including Gambit, Bishop, Omega Red , Wildcats, Warblade, Gen13, Hush, Deathblow and more you can see the list here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Characters_created_by_Jim_Lee

1 hour ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Batman_608.jpg.293131b13c49fd0a2e0cce01aba60f0b.jpg

The left foot looks good but that righty looks like a "liefeld"-
He's clearly wearing 2 different boots here.  Or a sock and a boot.
He's got pouches too- hm 

Edited by kav

24 minutes ago, kav said:

hm 

A visible foot is not a Liefeld foot.

It depends what this is for.

If you plan to have Jim Lee sign a book for you and you are going to keep it then who cares what everyone else likes or thinks is iconic you should have him sign the book you like the best.

If the intent is to have him sign the most valuable book / sellable book then the 2nd print Batman 608. If I ever have a copy for sale it generally sells within an hour of the local comic show start. Xmen 266 isn't a bad choice but I can have a copy for awhile before someone buys it.

5 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

As a reader, market value isn’t that important.

The key issue I bought new that made me realise he was a very talented up-and-coming artist was this one...

624133.jpg

Agreed. Not only is it my favorite Lee cover, it is in my top 5 all time. I would really like to have the OA.

8 hours ago, kav said:

He's clearly wearing 2 different boots here.  Or a sock and a boot.
He's got pouches too- hm 

A LOT of Jim Lee art looks very similar to Liefeld. Partly that was the style back then, partly because of "artistic osmosis". 

ETA: Yeah, left foot rounded front, right foot pointy front. Maybe he got dressed in the dark and put two different shoes on? (shrug) Could happen! lol

Edited by jcjames

2 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Yeah I knew he started on 248, but just realized the pencil I saw for this was a commission not the original so I was wrong on this one will remove it to eliminate confusion.  Here is the commission that caused my confusion 20200830_123547.thumb.jpg.a0df0b21c1600cba68c4c2cd1a8dee70.jpg

Oh man, I'm such a fanboy that I prefer it to the original.

13 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I don't know if I would call it a key because it can be found relatively cheaply... 

But... I mostly associate him with the wraparound X-Men 1 book.

As previously mentioned, Hush...

And... a signature series book I sometimes regret selling... but I put it toward buying something else... 

(image is still in my comiclink purchases)

Lee doesn't seem to have any keys but he definitely has some sensational covers and iconic images like x-men 1

I'll be dead honest. Even though my favourite  character is Batman and Jim Lee is one of my all time favourites, I think that X-men 1 cover is his crowning achievement. Too bad he couldn't replicate that awesomeness in the All Star Batman foldout of the Batcave (which I felt was a bit weak, especially the angle chosen).