• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your go to Jim Lee key?
5 5

137 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I always thought this was a neal Adams cover...

3 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

It is and that's the draw, not so much that Jim Lee's art is inside the book. 

CGC mislabeled some of the earlier books and credited him and scott as the cover , but you and William are correct it is a Neal Adam's Cover and Jim did inside art. CGCs new label for these 20200830_124810.thumb.jpg.32da8b22a83fe66cc5b9cd5a8daf2f71.jpg

UXM 248  was key for a long time for no reason other than it was Jim Lee's first work on the X-Men. It even got a gold second printing, again, just because it was Jim Lee.

UXM 268 is the other X-Men Lee key, because of the classic Jim Lee cover. It's also not particularly pricey, unless you're talking about the JC Penny version. That one is expensive.

But those are the Jim Lee keys, to me. 

49 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

I'll be dead honest. Even though my favourite  character is Batman and Jim Lee is one of my all time favourites, I think that X-men 1 cover is his crowning achievement. Too bad he couldn't replicate that awesomeness in the All Star Batman foldout of the Batcave (which I felt was a bit weak, especially the angle chosen).

X-Men #1, first full art control... cheesy by today's standards, but it is so 90s.

image.png.3ca58ebef03a2bc2dda4e40114f3d9bd.png

4 minutes ago, bobotski said:

X-Men #1, first full art control... cheesy by today's standards, but it is so 90s.

image.png.3ca58ebef03a2bc2dda4e40114f3d9bd.png

I remember being at a friends house, and him saying guess what I got today? An X-men #1!!!!!! I was like whhhhoooooaaaa a #1? lol to be so young :x 

1 hour ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Yeah I knew he started on 248, but just realized the pencil I saw for this was a commission not the original so I was wrong on this one will remove it to eliminate confusion.  Here is the commission that caused my confusion 20200830_123547.thumb.jpg.a0df0b21c1600cba68c4c2cd1a8dee70.jpg

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

Oh man, I'm such a fanboy that I prefer it to the original.

It’s a brilliant commission, and it should be for several thousand dollars.

It was shown in the Original Art section.

I’ve always been very impressed with Lee’s commission artwork. His talent really shines through.  The shading technique is excellent.

Edited by Ken Aldred

5 minutes ago, Wees 2e said:

You gonna believe CGC or your own eyes? :insane:

I did state in a later post CGC corrected the earlier labels. It is not a Jim Lee Cover , but he did the interior and is still credited with work on the book as he was with most of this run.

15 minutes ago, Wees 2e said:

Well, that is a unique choice, having your go-to Jim Lee book sport a Neal Adams cover lol

Ok. That was just one in the list. Besides haven't seen you share a single book (shrug) or are you only here to troll others response?  :whistle:

Just now, Wees 2e said:

Trolling? :screwy: I corrected your mistake very nicely as did another poster with another book. Then you doubled down on your mistake and I lightheartedly corrected that. Maybe you're embarrassed that  you don't know the difference between Jim Lee and Neal Adams, but that's no reason to take out your frustration on me (tsk)

Not taking out any frustration,  but you keep on with this when I noted the correction.  I have not doubled down nor embarrassed.   I also didn't say he specifically did the cover. I only uploaded the CGC label and showed the corrected label. He still contributed to the work. Still does not take away from your lack to post your key or truly contribute. (thumbsu

4 hours ago, jcjames said:

A LOT of Jim Lee art looks very similar to Liefeld. Partly that was the style back then, partly because of "artistic osmosis". 

ETA: Yeah, left foot rounded front, right foot pointy front. Maybe he got dressed in the dark and put two different shoes on? (shrug) Could happen! lol

Thats the thing-I dont get the Jim Lee attraction-to me he's a Liefeld that can draw feet.

I associate Jim Lee with 90s art that never really does much for me. Put his stuff next to everything from that era on and it isn’t that distinguishable. I like art that stands out for reasons like detail, variety of shots, background detail and the ability to tell a story beyond the text. Maybe I’m wrong but Lees artwork just doesn’t do that for me. He can draw a decent cover but beyond that Im not a fan.

3 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

No. It's notable and has some relative value, but it's not key.

Isn't that how all of Jim Lee's books are? Like the ones we are discussing. Does he have an actual key then? That first appearance of Gambit is definitely a key, but I wouldn't attribute it to him over Kubert since he isn't the artist on it.

Edited by William-James88

22 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Isn't that how all of Jim Lee's books are? Does he have an actual key then? 

He seems to be on the lower end compared to his contemporaries, but he does have at least a few keys. What he doesn't have is a first appearance of a character like Venom or Deadpool. Even if he created the character, he didn't work on Gambit's first brief or first full appearance.