• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the biggest discrepancy you've had between the CGC grade and the grade you thought it should get?

43 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Mrlucky121788 said:

So I’m new to the comic book world, less than a year. I have 2 main questions after reading all the posts in this topic. 1. I have a premium membership which gives free grading notes on submissions. How do you get the notes? 2. Is it better to press a comic yourself or send it in to be pressed? Thanks for your feedback.

For question 2, it depends how good you are at pressing comics. If your skills are above average, do it yourself and save money.

4 hours ago, Mrlucky121788 said:

So I’m new to the comic book world, less than a year. I have 2 main questions after reading all the posts in this topic. 1. I have a premium membership which gives free grading notes on submissions. How do you get the notes? 2. Is it better to press a comic yourself or send it in to be pressed? Thanks for your feedback.

You can only get free grading notes on the books you have submitted for grading under your collector society membership account.  If you can log in to your cgc account to create a submission, then just click on invoices. Then click on the invoice you are interested in. It will show the books in that submission. If the books are done (shipped) then you will see a column where it will show if there are grading notes. Click on them and you'll get  a pop up with the grading notes.  But this only works on books YOU submitted under your account. You cannot view grading notes - for free - of any CGC graded books. 

I'll try not to be cheeky in my response to your second question. Your question could be interpreted several ways. My first answer will assume you are professionally pressing books, with excellent technical skills and using proper equipment.  The CGC graders know nothing about the books when grading them other than what they see in front of them  They only have the book. They don't know whose book it is, they don't know if CCS pressed the book. So if your question is "will I get a better grade if CCS pressed the book versus someone else (like yourself) pressing the book?" the answer is no.  The graders don't know CCS pressed the book. They don't know it's your book and you maybe pressed it yourself. 

The graders may be able to tell the book was pressed. They can usually tell if the book was poorly pressed and damaged. 

The second answer to the question is that a lot of people are squashing books with T-Shirt presses at too high temperatures, too much pressure, too long  no humidity introduced and not properly supporting the book during pressing.  If there is any question about how well one is pressing books, then it should certainly be left to others - like say CCS.