• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your “one and done” book that encapsulates a genre
4 4

160 posts in this topic

Hey @SOTIcollector. Until I read your post, I didn’t truly realize that Wertham’s poison-pill message got into so much mainstream media. I now can better understand why my parents threw out my collection(and created the monster you see here today).  Until now, I regarded his antics as just history. Now, my feelings against the guy just got a lot more real. I understand that some books maybe were a bit too much for some kid’s sensibilities, but Wertham’s approach painted all books with too broad of a brush, and I lost a ton of late 50’s Detectives. 

:censored:

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 8/31/2020 at 5:44 PM, IngelsFan said:

Iconic title, legendary publisher, and an insanely cool image:

image.thumb.jpeg.6e437de458c4e2acd24d71e28a4dd3fd.jpeg

I really regret not bidding a little bit more on the 'original' art prototype sericel that recently sold on Ebayhttps://www.ebay.ca/itm/Tales-From-the-Crypt-EC-Horror-Comics-Golden-age-style-sericel/193618651205?hash=item2d14922845:g:QgsAAOSwWyZfMIyi ). I was able to snag a few other golden age covers that will make for amazing wall art, but this one slipped by :(

On 9/3/2020 at 5:17 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Hey @SOTIcollector. Until I read your post, I didn’t truly realize that Wertham’s poison-pill message got into so much mainstream media. I now can better understand why my parents threw out my collection(and created the monster you see here today).  Until now, I regarded his antics as just history. Now, my feelings against the guy just got a lot more real. I understand that some books maybe were a bit too much for some kid’s sensibilities, but Wertham’s approach painted all books with too broad of a brush, and I lost a ton of late 50’s Detectives. 

:censored:

After much consideration, I get the feeling that on the parents’ side of things, I suppose that one’s view of the world can change quite a bit after one becomes a parent. I recall one guy I knew of who really was and still is into horror movies, and didn’t think it was that big of a deal to see horror movies at a young age, but then after he became a dad, and had children of his own, he all of a sudden started getting more cautious, and even defensive, in regards to what material his children was exposed to out of wanting to bring them up as positively as possible, because I’m sure the majority of parents certainly wouldn’t want to brings their own kids up negatively affected.

If Wertham is guilty of ultimately embracing emotion over logic, in spite of him being right to call out racist-based stereotypes in comics and such, then perhaps quite a number of parents, though not all, from back then and even today can be accused of being guilty just as much for embracing emotion over logic in how they go about raising their kids and being aware of what media they pass by or even buy themselves, only to find out the media is full of gory or otherwise inappropriate material in such a way that they may be traumatized or negatively affected in general, and would rather be confident in themselves in believing that they’re trying to raise their children in the best way possible rather than logically take the time to hear out what some possibly non-parent comic fans have to say.

Edited by Electricmastro

On 9/1/2020 at 9:32 PM, catman76 said:

I hate so much that people think this cover is funny in any way. Talk about immature. But look Daniel Boone beats off guys too...

beatin.jpg.540b3776fe42d3babc18603918b2cdb2.jpg

Could be it's "immature". But the writers and artists knew exactly what they were doing. There are tons of examples of sexual innuendo in comic books. Both unintentional and intentional.

30 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Could be it's "immature". But the writers and artists knew exactly what they were doing. There are tons of examples of sexual innuendo in comic books. Both unintentional and intentional.

Here’s my “one and done” for sexual innuendo. . .

11EAAC65-D8CF-4DBD-93D1-CA6467017BF5.jpeg