• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Was Your First Comic Book Convention?
6 6

131 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, mrc said:

........my first also (the only one at the time?). Went in 1980 or 1981? Pretty amazing back then as I'd never seen US comic back issues before. I'd just started work and so had a bit of pocket money, mainly on the lookout for Adams and Wrightson books which I'd remembered from the late 60's early 70's. It was here I met Martin Kravetz (Mega City Comics) who set me up with my first subscription. I think he was working from home back then. I also remember picking up an EC Library as they'd just come out. I still have a few of the books I picked up that day - as below,

mk2.jpg

st2.jpg

Excellent taste sir. I probably bought my copy of that book there as well (Wrightson’s art got me into comics in the first place, and he remains my favourite artist). 

Is that you on the left?

2 minutes ago, goldust40 said:

Is that you on the left?

Sadly no, it's a generic photo, the only one I could find of Westmonster Halls. If you look closely you can see New Mutants for sale so the photo may be 1983?....lol

Just now, mrc said:

Sadly no, it's a generic photo, the only one I could find of Westmonster Halls. If you look closely you can see New Mutants for sale so the photo may be 1983?....lol

Trust me not to do my homework. :tonofbricks:

Still, a reminder of happy days when a tenner in your pocket would get you a stack of decent books. And you’d read ‘em all too. 

2 minutes ago, goldust40 said:

Trust me not to do my homework. :tonofbricks:

Still, a reminder of happy days when a tenner in your pocket would get you a stack of decent books. And you’d read ‘em all too. 

Also, I'd never wear my Christmas Party jumper to a comic con!..........lol

12 minutes ago, mrc said:

Also, I'd never wear my Christmas Party jumper to a comic con!..........lol

That type of knitwear was very popular back then.

Like a puppy; not just for Xmas.

My first convention was King Kon in Ypsilanti, Michigan back in 1985.  My older brother was a student at Eastern Michigan in Ypsilanti and took me to the show.  I was 15 at the time.  It was pretty cool and I found some nice stuff.  I also got to meet and talk with author Robert Asprin for a while.

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

If you are looking for pawn shops with guitars in TX. Hit Austin. Big music scene and lots of down on their luck musicians. Scored a nice Telecaster there about 8 years ago. 

I did the guitar show circuit in TX during the 90's and loved when I set up in Austin.  My '63 strat came from there.  

2 hours ago, thecollectron said:

I've gone to plenty of comic conventions over the years but my first was San Diego Comic-Con #1 (or #0 depending on how you count them). A one-day show in March 1970 at the U.S. Grant Hotel. It was in a basement room and if I recall correctly, when it was time to show a movie they just dimmed the lights on one side of the room and projected it while the comic book wheeling and dealing continued. It was called San Diego's Golden State Comic-Con back then and the organizers started with that one-day show to raise funds for a three-day show in August, and over the years it thrived and continued to mutate into Comic-Con International: San Diego. I've been going ever since it started. Each year I provide my family members with the SDCC "blackout dates", joking (but not really) that I'm not available for vacation trips on those days, no family reunions, and no one can get married or buried.  I still look forward to it every year and was extremely bummed that it was canceled this year. I watched some of the panels on-line, which was very cool of SDCC to provide, but of course it's not the same as being there. I enjoy comic conventions and I hope it's safe to have them in 2021.

Wow, quite the ride. Not many people can say that. I know a few dealers set up at every one just up until a few years ago but you got them beat. My first was the 3rd one and I only missed one due to a motorcycle accident when I was hospitalized and one when I had to go to my father in law's funeral. I quit about 5 years ago. I really missed it at first but realized that it just wasn't the same show for me. I hope you hit everyone until you are dead or un-able!

8 hours ago, KingOfRulers said:

The first convention I travelled out of state for was Heroes Con, in Charlotte, North Carolina. This was in 2006. I got to meet one of my favorite creators, Dave Cockrum. He signed a couple of my X-Men comics as well as an X-Men #99 price variant which I got CGC graded. I'm guessing that's the only Dave Cockrum, sig series price variant. It was a great convention (and still is). I'm so thankful that I got to meet Dave (he passed away only months later). I love Heroes Con! 

There are seven signed price variants of that issue but the census doesn't specify by who so could be!

Mine was The 1982 or 83 New York Comic Art Convention. I was 13 years old and I remember buying Xmen 113 and getting it signed by Chris Claremont  and then getting lucky on an Xmen 94 at the auction for 35$ but was too late to get Claremont to sign it. Still have both books. I think I might have bought Conan 2 at that show also.

5 hours ago, Morganmi said:

Mine was The 1982 or 83 New York Comic Art Convention. I was 13 years old and I remember buying Xmen 113 and getting it signed by Chris Claremont  and then getting lucky on an Xmen 94 at the auction for 35$ but was too late to get Claremont to sign it. Still have both books. I think I might have bought Conan 2 at that show also.

X-Men 94 is an incredible book to own at 13.