• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this counterfeiting?
2 2

44 posts in this topic

Too many people out for a quick buck. Or hundred.. :facepalm:  . One thing I do know is Ebay has a policy where is you place a bid on any item you can request the sellers information and they give it to you. That could be done and forward that information to both DC/Marvel and local law enforcement. 

46 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

has anyone reported to ebay, via a copyright violation? just curious

Just did.  Maybe it would help if you reported some of the listings as well.

Edited by namisgr

1 hour ago, namisgr said:

Just did.  Maybe it would help if you reported some of the listings as well.

I have recently started selling some hot toys on eBay so I know my password again ! I haven’t researched this but I’m speculating this is a copyright infringement or violation ?

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

has anyone reported to ebay, via a copyright violation? just curious

My cousin once had his auctions for counterfeit Masters wallet and key chains ended by eBay. My recollection is that the copyright holder reported the auctions  to eBay. Doubtful DC or Marvel cares about this enough to stop. Curious why you feel your hot toys might be a violation?  Unless by “hot” you mean stolen?  :devil:

8 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

My cousin once had his auctions for counterfeit Masters wallet and key chains ended by eBay. My recollection is that the copyright holder reported the auctions  to eBay. Doubtful DC or Marvel cares about this enough to stop. Curious why you feel your hot toys might be a violation?  Unless by “hot” you mean stolen?  :devil:

Just meant I hadn’t been on eBay since 2011 so until I started selling sideshow and hot toy figures on there last few months I wouldn’t have even known my password to login to report :)

Edited by G.A.tor

He's now even offering pairings at $180:   Action 1 /Tec 27,  Cap 1 /Marvel 1.

Anyway this is very brazen -- Disney will be interested to see Donald Duck FC 9 & FC 29 Mummy's Ring (with wear repro'ed on the back cover).  Their attorneys could be all over this guy.

8 minutes ago, EC Star&Bar said:

Anyway this is very brazen -- Disney will be interested to see Donald Duck FC 9 & FC 29 Mummy's Ring (with wear repro'ed on the back cover).  Their attorneys could be all over this guy.

Agreed.  Disney does not mess around with anyone using their material without permission.  Just ask Gawdawful Graphics 1b7xu4f4c3qx.jpg.358fcf7d0df8abb17ab0bb62d9b11e56.jpg

11 minutes ago, EC Star&Bar said:

And as Disney now owns Marvel, I'd think they'd be very protective of that major property too.

Like in any hobby, the novice needs to beware. A few years ago, someone fell for the "Famous 1st Edition" thing and that was, what, 1974? DC at least keeps releasing foil editions and reprints on Bats 232, 251 etc. To a novice, they may seem like the real thing. I can't imagine anyone who is ready to drop $200k on a NM-M Hulk #1 hasn't already done some homework. Or any key book, really. There just can't be an overwhelming number of people who are getting had when they buy a key book. One or 2 people can stand as an object lesson for the rest of them.

I guess all that can be done is call legal at both DC and Marvel (and Disney) and tell them about it.

On 9/4/2020 at 5:22 AM, kustomizer said:

In 10 or 20 years, will new collectors be able to tell the difference between these and originals?

The important thing is that CGC and other professional graders continue to be able to tell the difference. What really frightens me is the possibility that counterfeiters will start manufacturing convincing slabs. :eek:

1 hour ago, Randall Ries said:

Like in any hobby, the novice needs to beware. A few years ago, someone fell for the "Famous 1st Edition" thing and that was, what, 1974? DC at least keeps releasing foil editions and reprints on Bats 232, 251 etc. To a novice, they may seem like the real thing. I can't imagine anyone who is ready to drop $200k on a NM-M Hulk #1 hasn't already done some homework. Or any key book, really. There just can't be an overwhelming number of people who are getting had when they buy a key book. One or 2 people can stand as an object lesson for the rest of them.

I guess all that can be done is call legal at both DC and Marvel (and Disney) and tell them about it.

You're right about the novice, but it would be quite the minefield entering the hobby just now. There seems to be very low awareness that these counterfeits are currently entering the market even amongst seasoned collectors.

I think the likely scenario with counterfeits would be crooks selling them off "cheaply" to newbies who think they're getting a bargain on key books. "Wanna buy Hulk #1 for $1000? It might be worth a bit more but I really need the cash for my wife's dentist bill so it's your lucky day."

Edited by kustomizer

1 hour ago, tvindy said:

The important thing is that CGC and other professional graders continue to be able to tell the difference. What really frightens me is the possibility that counterfeiters will start manufacturing convincing slabs. :eek:

I hadn't actually considered that!