• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adam Kubert now doing covers at 20x30

21 posts in this topic

Translation: I can now charge 4X the price for my covers.

Adam is a talented artist but most of the detail disappears when they shrink it down to standard comic size.  The reason to do it is for the after market sales.

Most collectors, including myself, would pay the premium.  Especially, when covers look like that.

53 minutes ago, NelsonAI said:

Adam is a talented artist but most of the detail disappears when they shrink it down to standard comic size.  The reason to do it is for the after market sales.

Most collectors, including myself, would pay the premium.  Especially, when covers look like that.

Hell yeah. I only own one of his covers but I'd be interested in a shot at something as impressive as that must be in hand. 

This reminds of of the first time I saw the Syd Shores inked pages from Captain America #101. In the published comic the line work is muddy and lost between being reduced in size from the original and those 60's colors. When I held the pages from that story in hand you could see ALL of Shore's delicate lines and extreme detail work. He knew that it would be lost in the production process of the book but he really went after those details regardless. 

2 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

It is going to be a considerable premium.. I just asked his rep...

1 minute ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

It is going to be a considerable premium.. I just asked his rep...

I thought about you the minute I saw this Jay!

I am with some of the guys who posted earlier, it really makes them more attractive to me as a buyer. Can you imagine the size framed on the wall! If a collector finds the "right" cover could be magnificent.

1 minute ago, Bird said:

I thought about you the minute I saw this Jay!

I am with some of the guys who posted earlier, it really makes them more attractive to me as a buyer. Can you imagine the size framed on the wall! If a collector finds the "right" cover could be magnificent.

Bird- you know me well.. right up my alley... but big money. I am not saying I would not stretch but the specific cover would have to call to me!! 

From the modern era, Adam Hughes and Art Adams come to mind as artists that started using oversized boards for covers.  From what I saw in terms of pricing, both artists only charged an incremental amount more.  The so called price per square inch of art was quite reasonable.  Both very fan friendly and no price gouging from these top tier artists.  

17 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

From the modern era, Adam Hughes and Art Adams come to mind as artists that started using oversized boards for covers.  From what I saw in terms of pricing, both artists only charged an incremental amount more.  The so called price per square inch of art was quite reasonable.  Both very fan friendly and no price gouging from these top tier artists.  

Now that you've pointed it out, it makes sense with the amount of detail Adams uses that he would work with oversized boards.

I've worked larger and it's actually easier and faster then working small-- counterintuitive but that's what I found.  Hardest thing would be getting a scan, but digital camera's and even phones now have a pretty amazing capability to capture detail.   The biggest hassle would be storage of originals.