• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rookie Mistake
2 2

31 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, William-James88 said:

I think you are incorrect in your assumptions, especially with the assumption that this book can't be a 9.0 because it doesn't look like what you associate with a 9.0. That's something I hear on these boards all time time and it is flat out wrong. Eye appeal is in no way related to the grade.

It's funny you mention this, because it's also something graders talk about. The following is a brief example: 

First grader hands the book to the grader sitting next to him: "Well, technically, I'm at 9.0. The front cover looks nice, but the back cover...well..."  The second grader looks the book over and then states: "I can see the 9.0". The first grader takes the book back, looks at it again, then says: "I don't really like the 9.0." The second grader, getting a little annoyed, responds: "So give it the 8.5."  First grader: "8.5 seems kind of tough..."  Second grader, now getting noticeably agitated: "So give it the 9.0 and quit bothering me!" First grader: "OK." 

38 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

It's funny you mention this, because it's also something graders talk about. The following is a brief example: 

First grader hands the book to the grader sitting next to him: "Well, technically, I'm at 9.0. The front cover looks nice, but the back cover...well..."  The second grader looks the book over and then states: "I can see the 9.0". The first grader takes the book back, looks at it again, then says: "I don't really like the 9.0." The second grader, getting a little annoyed, responds: "So give it the 8.5."  First grader: "8.5 seems kind of tough..."  Second grader, now getting noticeably agitated: "So give it the 9.0 and quit bothering me!" First grader: "OK." 

It works both ways too with eye appeal. I have saddened a few people in he "PGM" forum because their beautiful glossy silver age book had a subscription crease, creating a length wide colour break. The book looks great, but it is still technically a 4.0.

Deep down, people can argue about how good a book looks all day long but the technical grade remains objective and we can only spend so much time on a book.

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

A picture really can be worth a thousand words...

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

Just to show how eye appeal/oxidation/yellowing/passage of time can be completely unrelated to the technical grade. Here are two FF 67s both in 9.4.

I agree with you 100% on eye appeal not directly correlating to technical grade.  The problem with your example is that Heritage brightens its pictures plus its an old case vs a new case (a little more clarity).  I'm sure the white pager looks better but I don't think its as significant as that picture comparison shows.

14 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

I agree with you 100% on eye appeal not directly correlating to technical grade.  The problem with your example is that Heritage brightens its pictures plus its an old case vs a new case (a little more clarity).  I'm sure the white pager looks better but I don't think its as significant as that picture comparison shows.

This is one of the reasons why we used to avoid "comparison" grading at CGC. As one of my fellow graders used to say: "That way leads to madness..." 

5 minutes ago, bobotski said:

Isn't part of this why they put the page color? e.g., 9.4 White is not the same quality as 9.4 Off White, by how much is subjective to each collector.

Correct. And the condition of the pages in and of itself can affect the grade...  

4 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

Man, if Hertiage brightens their pics then that off white example must look even darker.

14 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Man, if Hertiage brightens their pics then that off white example must look even darker.

Heritage is known for over brightening their images. Look at any example of a book they list and then when it's in hand.  Theres examples of it on this forum. As I stated before, the newer CGC case is also clearer.