• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OSPG 50th Edition hits the streets today!!!!
5 5

121 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

Mine was #6 in 1976 "The Spirit" guide and scarred for life by the famous Theo Holstein ad!

In the pre-internet, pre-Gerber photo guide, etc., it was my first exposure to seeing what some of the classic covers looked like.

I was also impressed by the amazing advertising art work that some dealers put into their ads back in the day!

1646215025_616MTHX9ZSL._SX320_BO1204203200_.jpg.fcfb0d8c774c0894dd5ad8570471f424.jpg

Lol. Same here. Bought number six in a bookstore. And I too was scarred for life. Anyone who mentions Theo I have to laugh. 

2 hours ago, Guardian Comics said:
2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

L B Cole cover for me.

Me too....would kill for the OA for that cover!!!

Time Machine time Jim!

Heritage 2007 - sold for $17,925 and then 4 years later in 2011 sold at Heritage again for $5,975!

What would have caused such a dramatic price drop 4 years later?

image.thumb.png.b0567eeb132caa9af2a025e180887500.png

Edited by DanCooper

2 hours ago, DanCooper said:

Time Machine time Jim!

Heritage 2007 - sold for $17,925 and then 4 years later in 2011 sold at Heritage again for $5,975!

What would have caused such a dramatic price drop 4 years later?

image.thumb.png.b0567eeb132caa9af2a025e180887500.png

How did I miss this in 2011??? :sorry:

I'm disappointed by the cover options this time too.  This is the first time in about 18 years I haven't purchased it in the first hour it went onsale--often the first five minutes. Just forgot today--too busy these days. Remembered at five pm, which is when my local shop closes these days. Will get it tomorrow.

Agree, the first guide I ever got totally changed my life. It had an ad for wholesale lists from I believe S&L sales and I was hooked. I had to buy three copies of an issue, but it was a non-brainer.

1 hour ago, DocHoppus182 said:
5 hours ago, greggy said:

Did Dylan write a report?

I was wondering how long it was going to take for someone to say something like this.  2 posts in, right on time.

Well, for all you lucky boardies here, although Overstreet cut the market reports back by a whopping 60 pages (i.e. from 140 pages back down to only 80 pages) for this years edition of the guide, it looks you are will still be blessed with a report from Dylan if you are referring to Dylan Schwartz from Dylan Universe Comics.  :devil:

Skimmed his market report and it looks like his 2 so-called undervalued picks are Cap Annual #8 and Marvel Team-Up #62, for what that's worth.  He then goes on to say that Barks Duck books was so expensive 35 years ago, but could be the next horror, Matt Baker, or L.B.Cole craze since they are currently at all-time lows.  Based upon Dylan's standing here on the boards, I guess everybody's going to rush out now and load up on these specific books then.  :bigsmile:

5 hours ago, lhcomics said:

Got mine in yesterday. 

Then and now.

20200902_080822.thumb.jpg.e3085776f5745bfc5a2da303bcd06bb5.jpg

Wow, that looks like a pretty pristine copy of the first Overstreet price guide from way back in 1970.  :applause:

Surprsied to see one in what appears to be pretty immaculate condition and was wondering how long you've had this copy for?  :whatthe:   :luhv: