• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OSPG 50th Edition hits the streets today!!!!
5 5

121 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

My first one was the Barks Porky Pig cover.

Same here for me.  (thumbsu

Back before the days of the internet and boards here, I still remember the market reports were my go to must read when it came to the price guide.  :facepalm:

Definitely not the case anymore, as evident by the fact th  at I just managed to trudged my way through the last one this past weekend just so that they would all be done before the new guide came out this week.  zzz

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, Guardian Comics said:
3 hours ago, DanCooper said:

Time Machine time Jim!

Heritage 2007 - sold for $17,925 and then 4 years later in 2011 sold at Heritage again for $5,975!

What would have caused such a dramatic price drop 4 years later?

image.thumb.png.b0567eeb132caa9af2a025e180887500.png

How did I miss this in 2011??? :sorry:

Especially with L.B. Cole's current red hot popularity in the marketplace toady, it should probably have no problem beating that record almost $18K price from way back in 2007.  hm

I love the guide.  My first one was #8 in 1978 when I was 13.  Since that time, I have purchased everyone usually on the date of release.  It is a great book and I love reading the market reports as well as just flipping throught it looking at the pictures and prices.  Also, the ads are fun to look at as well! I do miss the April release date and wish they would move the date back.

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Wow, that looks like a pretty pristine copy of the first Overstreet price guide from way back in 1970.  :applause:

Surprsied to see one in what appears to be pretty immaculate condition and was wondering how long you've had this copy for?  :whatthe:   :luhv:

Thanks. Kinda hard to tell but It's the light blue 2nd printing. VF+ range and had it about 15 years.

Edited by lhcomics

My first was #4 and have bought one every year.  Still have them.  I forget when I started with HCs.  Even though I buy one, I have even opened one for over a decade.

My OCD is a biatch when it comes to being a completist :p

I have bought a #2 and #3 and hopefully will find a #1 (would like a first print) but prices play against me. 

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, for all you lucky boardies here, although Overstreet cut the market reports back by a whopping 60 pages (i.e. from 140 pages back down to only 80 pages) for this years edition of the guide

Ah, that's a shame--I love reading the market reports; although I suppose this year they'll be uniquely out of date.

1 hour ago, telerites said:

My OCD is a biatch when it comes to being a completist :p

I have bought a #2 and #3 and hopefully will find a #1 (would like a first print) but prices play against me. 

The facsimile #1 is maybe 15 bucks. You may want to pick one up as a placeholder. I like it.

11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, for all you lucky boardies here, although Overstreet cut the market reports back by a whopping 60 pages (i.e. from 140 pages back down to only 80 pages) for this years edition of the guide, it looks you are will still be blessed with a report from Dylan if you are referring to Dylan Schwartz from Dylan Universe Comics.  :devil:

Skimmed his market report and it looks like his 2 so-called undervalued picks are Cap Annual #8 and Marvel Team-Up #62, for what that's worth.  He then goes on to say that Barks Duck books was so expensive 35 years ago, but could be the next horror, Matt Baker, or L.B.Cole craze since they are currently at all-time lows.  Based upon Dylan's standing here on the boards, I guess everybody's going to rush out now and load up on these specific books then.  :bigsmile:

Lou:  We were asked to keep our market reports briefer this year as they expected more reports than usual for the 50th.  I don't think it was a conscious decision to cut them back, but with Doug Sulipa only writing a page worth and CL going from 15 pages last year to one page this year, you're just getting more concise entries.  I'm going back to writing a mini novel next year ;)

2 hours ago, bpc3qh said:

Ah, that's a shame--I love reading the market reports; although I suppose this year they'll be uniquely out of date.

Well, he does have a Covid-19 Impact Update right at the front of his own summary and the Advisors' market reports about the pandemic and that rreaders should take this into consideration when reading the market reports.  :gossip:  (thumbsu

Looks like this is probably the one and only single thing (okay....probably not even this) that he wrote in the guide as even his own summary report are selected excerpts from his various advisors' market reports.  :p

2 hours ago, bpc3qh said:

I've been purchasing the OPG since 1980, but over the past 10 or so years, I haven't used it as a Price Guide due to the woefully inaccurate prices contained therein.  So, really, I only bought it for the interesting and informative market reports, but this year, the amount of space dedicated to the market reports decreased substantially as well as the quality of market reports. 

This year, we have many collectors & CBCS resources providing very general, broad-stroke comments.  After reading a few of them, they all seem to have the same hum drum sound to them, and as you read through generalization after generalization, you start to skim over the words and think to yourself "blah, blah, blah, blah blah blah blah". what a disappointment.

This is definitely the last year I spend money on Overstreet.

32 minutes ago, Guardian Comics said:

Lou:  We were asked to keep our market reports briefer this year as they expected more reports than usual for the 50th.  I don't think it was a conscious decision to cut them back, but with Doug Sulipa only writing a page worth and CL going from 15 pages last year to one page this year, you're just getting more concise entries.  I'm going back to writing a mini novel next year ;)

Yes, by skimming though the pages for the various market reports, this seem to have been a very obvious tactic that was taken as no contributors had those huge multi-page reports like in previous editions of the guide.  (thumbsu

Especially in the case of Doug Sulipa....................didn't he used to hape 20+ pages for his own market report at one time, athough he has been cutting them back in size for the ast few years?  He must have listed every single frigging book that he sold, although he did provide (probably unnecessary) details for almost every single publisher and/or comic book genre out there.  It was almost like an actual marathon to go through one of his market reports as I would have to spread the "joy" over a few days.  zzz  lol