• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OSPG 50th Edition hits the streets today!!!!
5 5

121 posts in this topic

When I bought my 1976 guide, my first one, I reasoned I would buy one every other year -- EVEN years, starting in '78. 

But for various reasons, my next ones were '77, '79, and '81.

As it turned out those were all highly interesting, focusing on Barks, EC, and LB Cole respectively.  Those books really solidified my interest in comic collecting.

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

The advisor listings traded me for Dylan.

seems fair

I had to do a double take/check on that one when I saw it went from "Eury" to "Farrell"

Then, I was hoping you changed your legal name to just one word - "Bedrock"

But, nope....not there between "Becker" and "Berry"

???

On 9/11/2020 at 5:02 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

- no interview with Overstreet 

Well, if you want an interview with THE MAN himself, it sounds as though you are going to have to buy a copy of the Overstreet #1 Facsimilie Edition as it apparently has an extensive interview in there with Overstreet:  :gossip:

Looks like it might have to be the softcover version for you though as all of the hardcovers and various Limited Signed Editions are apparently all sold out already.  (thumbsu

On 9/2/2020 at 7:43 PM, DanCooper said:

Mine was #6 in 1976 "The Spirit" guide and scarred for life by the famous Theo Holstein ad!

In the pre-internet, pre-Gerber photo guide, etc., it was my first exposure to seeing what some of the classic covers looked like.

I was also impressed by the amazing advertising art work that some dealers put into their ads back in the day!

1646215025_616MTHX9ZSL._SX320_BO1204203200_.jpg.fcfb0d8c774c0894dd5ad8570471f424.jpg

This was also the first OSPG that I ever saw, when my older brother bought it.  Reading the guide provided two major revelations:

1. Some DC comics were actually worth something.  We were both Marvel fans, buying back issues from Robert Crestohl by mail order from Montreal.  I had no idea some back issues of Batman etc were worth anything.

2, The article title “Comics Worth Little or Anything” has always stayed with me.  

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Wasn't Crestohl the now rather infamous dealer that was notorious for performing hidden and undisclosed restoration on most of his books back then?  hm  

The Dynamic Duo from Montreal of Crestohl-Ross (Gerry)!..............:eek:

On 9/2/2020 at 8:56 PM, DanCooper said:

Time Machine time Jim!

Heritage 2007 - sold for $17,925 and then 4 years later in 2011 sold at Heritage again for $5,975!

What would have caused such a dramatic price drop 4 years later?

image.thumb.png.b0567eeb132caa9af2a025e180887500.png

The competing bidder that missed out on it in 2007 was the only other person willing to go that high in 2011?  Or maybe just so much other better OA that auction to spend money on? or maybe post 2008 crash tempered bidding in those auctions?

17 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if you want an interview with THE MAN himself, it sounds as though you are going to have to buy a copy of the Overstreet #1 Facsimilie Edition as it apparently has an extensive interview in there with Overstreet:  :gossip:

Looks like it might have to be the softcover version for you though as all of the hardcovers and various Limited Signed Editions are apparently all sold out already.  (thumbsu

I have this but have yet to look at. Can’t wait to read the interview. Thx!

34 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

I have this but have yet to look at. Can’t wait to read the interview. Thx!

Do you mean this book is out already?  ???

I was under the obvious mistaken impression it was not due out until a couple of months after the release of the Annual Overstreet Guide which was just a couple of weeks ago.  I thought it was only sold out at the distributor level at this current point in time.  (shrug)

Did you pick up your copy from your LCS or did you order it online from somewhere direct like Gemstone or such?  hm

42 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I was under the obvious mistaken impression it was not due out until a couple of months after the release of the Annual Overstreet Guide which was just a couple of weeks ago.  I thought it was only sold out at the distributor level at this current point in time.  (shrug)

Did you pick up your copy from your LCS or did you order it online from somewhere direct like Gemstone or such?  hm

Gemstone sent me a copy of the 1970 OSPG replica paperback this week, so I have one in hand.  I ordered it from here: https://gemstonepub.com/en/the-overstreet-comic-book-price-guide-1-facsimile-edition

Edited by valiantman

43 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I ordered it directly from Gemstone.

6 hours ago, mr_highgrade said:

Hard cover already sold out. :frustrated:

No worries as this was only a facsimilie copy anyways.  :p

Why not try for the original instead and go after a copy like this one here:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/books/overstreet-comic-book-price-guide-1-first-print-robert-overstreet-1970-cgc-nm-92-white-pages/a/7192-92312.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Books:Overstreet, Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide #1 First Print (Robert Overstreet, 1970) CGC NM- 9.2 White pages....

Not sure though if I would really want to pay anywhere close to the $9K price that this copy actually managed to sell for.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:   :flipbait:

On 9/14/2020 at 5:28 PM, lou_fine said:

Hard to keep things straight, with all the different issues released on a staggered schedule due to Covid 19! I think the real interview with Bob Overstreet is coming out in Overstreet @ 50, which is being released in November. From the Gemstone site:

"The 50-year history of The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide is documented and celebrated in this lush history of the book collectors and dealers alike have called “The Bible” of the comic book industry. This volume features an extensive interview with Bob Overstreet, commentaries from Paul Levitz, Maggie Thompson, Beau Smith, David T. Alexander, Buddy Saunders, Matt Nelson, Steve Borock, and others, as well as a behind-the-scenes look at the development of the Guide, a cover gallery, the Overstreet Hall of Fame, and more. Cover by Joe Jusko.

Available in both softcover and limited edition hardcover versions."

Overstreet at 50.jpeg