• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OSPG 50th Edition hits the streets today!!!!
5 5

121 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

And then there a lot of Overstreet “wanna bees” in the early 1970’s

0C995AAE-CDC5-4817-93AD-4D69EB663535.jpeg

A couple more early price guides. The Argosy Comic Book Price Guide is a rare one-shot issue that came out in 1965, five years before Overstreet #1. Bob may, or may not, have been aware of it when he decided to publish his price guide. The SFCA guide was a true copy-cat edition, published by the same organization that published the Rocket's Blast and Comic Collector, the main adzine for comic fandom in the 1960s, before being overtaken by the Buyer's Guide, in the 1970s. Bob seems to have resented this invasion of his territory, as he advertised heavily in the RBCC in earlier years, but stopped cold when this price guide was published. 

Argosy Comic Book Price Guide.jpg

SFCA Comic  Price Guide.jpg

50 minutes ago, David Stone said:

Hard to keep things straight, with all the different issues released on a staggered schedule due to Covid 19! I think the real interview with Bob Overstreet is coming out in Overstreet @ 50, which is being released in November. From the Gemstone site:

"The 50-year history of The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide is documented and celebrated in this lush history of the book collectors and dealers alike have called “The Bible” of the comic book industry. This volume features an extensive interview with Bob Overstreet, commentaries from Paul Levitz, Maggie Thompson, Beau Smith, David T. Alexander, Buddy Saunders, Matt Nelson, Steve Borock, and others, as well as a behind-the-scenes look at the development of the Guide, a cover gallery, the Overstreet Hall of Fame, and more. Cover by Joe Jusko.

Available in both softcover and limited edition hardcover versions."

Overstreet at 50.jpeg

Yes, my bad :facepalm: as this is the Germstone publication with the extensive Overstreet interview and not the Overstreet Guide #1 Facsimilie which I had incorrectly pointed out earlier in a previous post above.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

43 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I have this 30 year old reprint. No interview but it fits a hole...

4D70BE27-B20F-44B2-8C07-D11109D06F09.jpeg

I've got a copy of this reproduction here, but unfortunately it includes mostly only the current publishers that were still around at the time like DC and Marvel.  :p

As a result, it is not a true reproduction as many of the publishers who had their books listed in the original 1970 version were not included in this later edition here.  :(

Glad the reports are mediocre... preordered off Amazon.ca a while ago.  They didn't have a delivery date a week after it came out, and when it finally popped up, I was only getting my copy at the end of September.  Meanwhile, they say order now, they have 10 copies left.  Heck with that, cancel and rethink who I buy a copy from.

7 hours ago, David Stone said:

A couple more early price guides. The Argosy Comic Book Price Guide is a rare one-shot issue that came out in 1965, five years before Overstreet #1. Bob may, or may not, have been aware of it when he decided to publish his price guide. The SFCA guide was a true copy-cat edition, published by the same organization that published the Rocket's Blast and Comic Collector, the main adzine for comic fandom in the 1960s, before being overtaken by the Buyer's Guide, in the 1970s. Bob seems to have resented this invasion of his territory, as he advertised heavily in the RBCC in earlier years, but stopped cold when this price guide was published. 

I sent away for and had both of them.  But my Argosy didn't survive nearly as nice as your copy!

13 hours ago, David Stone said:

David, have you written any new pieces on the Guide?

4 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

David, have you written any new pieces on the Guide?

Thanks for asking! Gemstone is planning to include updated versions of my eight previous articles on the OPG (with some new information) in Overstreet @ 50, along with two previously unpublished articles. One of the new articles describes the four different varieties of the softcover OPG #2 I have documented and the other covers the Big! Big!, Hero Initiative, and Hall of Fame editions.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

The first 7 or 8 are in comic bags. The rest aren’t. Frankly, I don’t know why I kept them all for all this time...

I've been buying them since the mid 70s. Unlike you, however, I trashed them as soon as I got the next. I kinda wished I kept them, but honestly, I doubt I ever would've opened any of them.

2 hours ago, Gaard said:

I've been buying them since the mid 70s. Unlike you, however, I trashed them as soon as I got the next. I kinda wished I kept them, but honestly, I doubt I ever would've opened any of them.

I go thru old editions frequently; mostly those from my early collecting years.

6 hours ago, David Stone said:

One of the new articles describes the four different varieties of the softcover OPG #2 I have documented

Now, this should definitely be rather interesting for the early Overstreet collectors as we had a bit of a discussion on the boards here and were unable to come to much of a conclusion on the various versions that seem to be out there.  hm

6 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

I'm sure my jaw will drop once this streak is broken... "WWBN is no longer hot," "Wake the hell up," "Get a life," etc.

Well, I guess you don't own a copy of Hopalong Cassidy #1 then since Overstreet dropped this book here by $1,600 or by 35% as his top of guide price went from $4,600 all the way down to only $3,000.  :whatthe:  

Definitely very un-Overstreet like to put in such a large decrease, but then this was one of only two books to show a decrease out of all of his various Top chart listings which comprises a total of 280 books all told.  The other was Little Nemo 1906 which dropped by $100 from $5,300 down to $5,200 so I guess these two would be his token decreases for the year so readers can't complain that prices only always go up in his guide.  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine