• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

See the Ebay "Best Offer" price...
11 11

64 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I thought this thread was to suggest that best offer isn’t always there to make an offer lower than a starting price 

:tonofbricks:

No that would be the... "Hey buddy are you on the CGC boards?" button.

It's Command C on the Apple and Control C on the PC.B|

Edited by Rip

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

I thought this thread was to suggest that best offer isn’t always there to make an offer lower than a starting price 

I don't see any indication of that theme in the title or any of the posts.  That's a separate (and legit) issue.

I try to head those off on auctions by putting something in the description to discourage that practice, like "BEST OFFERS LOWER THAN THE STARTING BID WILL BE IGNORED", or the glass half full version, "ONLY OFFERS HIGHER THAN THE MINIMUM BID WILL BE CONSIDERED".

You can also set listings to auto-decline, so just do that with the minimum bid amount entered.  EBay doesn't even send a message on auto-declines, so you won't be bothered at all.  Won't even know they occurred.

And sometimes that's a problem that they don't send messages.  If you are lowering your price over time, you don't know that someone earlier was willing to pay an amount that is now acceptable to you.  It's there but not revealed until you proactively look to see if there were any auto-declined offers.  Should be something you can set as a preference, whether to be notified or not.  But that would be helpful, so not going to happen.

On 2/14/2021 at 10:12 PM, jsilverjanet said:

Nah.  Lot of times people put stupidly high starting prices that won't get any bids, so the best offer necessarily needs to be lower.  Anyway, for my own auctions I just have it auto decline offers below a set amount.  Works like a charm.

6 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Is there a way to find this info with the ebay app on android? Would be nice too finally see the actual on like this.....

Screenshot_20210220-093546_eBay.jpg

6 hours ago, littledoom said:

Open web browser and copy paste item number to https://130point.com/sales/

Yep. 130point is definitely one way to currently see sold values . You can also look at source code in original listing and search for tax exempt sale price and find the actual sold price as well, but 130point is easier. 

20210228_150817.jpg.bba30f83891585fbaffc4fa702b80cde.jpg20210228_150839.jpg.39f97633234df687f66ad48e334fb6e1.jpg

1 hour ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Yep. 130point is definitely one way to currently see sold values . You can also look at source code in original listing and search for tax exempt sale price and find the actual sold price as well, but 130point is easier. 

20210228_150817.jpg.bba30f83891585fbaffc4fa702b80cde.jpg20210228_150839.jpg.39f97633234df687f66ad48e334fb6e1.jpg

None of this makes sense. The 2 books of ASM 85 say there are ASM 89 and neither of them books in CGC 6.5 or 7.5 are selling for anywhere near that. So whats happening here?

49 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

None of this makes sense. The 2 books of ASM 85 say there are ASM 89 and neither of them books in CGC 6.5 or 7.5 are selling for anywhere near that. So whats happening here?

That is the question.  Could be many thing. I have seen things like Disney VHS sell for numbers that make absolutely no sense. Could be anything from money laundering, selling something extra with it. ( drugs etc) or could just be an uninformed buyer making an impulse purchase.  Unfortunately no real way of telling exactly what is/was going on . 20210228_174444.jpg.26c2b083d08ef189082b7dcebe3ea2a5.jpg20210228_174500.thumb.jpg.b43b86841c01df328c023594049e251a.jpg

I think there were shenanigans since both of those books were sold by the same seller who by no strange coincidence has low feedback. I just wonder if the census records them as 85 as the picture shows or 89 as the title shows.

2 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

That is the question.  Could be many thing. I have seen things like Disney VHS sell for numbers that make absolutely no sense. Could be anything from money laundering, selling something extra with it. ( drugs etc) or could just be an uninformed buyer making an impulse purchase.  Unfortunately no real way of telling exactly what is/was going on . 20210228_174444.jpg.26c2b083d08ef189082b7dcebe3ea2a5.jpg20210228_174500.thumb.jpg.b43b86841c01df328c023594049e251a.jpg

For money laundering or even narcotics 

Wouldnt it have to be the same seller, or a link that way but some other common trait other than address?

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

For money laundering or even narcotics 

Wouldnt it have to be the same seller, or a link that way but some other common trait other than address?

Not necessarily.  If it truly is illicit purposes no real bounds apply. ( disclaimer: I have not and do not, nor have I ever done any of this , but do know how it is theoretically possible) 

Seller goes to sell say $200 in illicit goods. Lists as Blah Drek.

Buyer creates new account and pays. 

Just because you have been verified doesn't mean you were vetted. Could be set up with burner cards ( prepaid) or burner accounts. ( mostly online financial institutions)  which applies to both seller or buyer accounts.

Also shipping is reccomend to verified address, but not required.  How many times have you heard people say they changed the shipping address?  Or have you ever shipped from a different address than your actual home address that you use for your return address?  

So as a buyer or seller you can create these accounts just to burn and use for these types of transactions.  

Although ultimately if caught this will also net you way more and bigger charges. I.E. Fraud, Money Laundering, Mail Fraud, etc. 

Still some just do not care.

The only real links right now would be IP addresses which can still be masked or diverted or geo data if whatever device you are using provides it. 

All that said you could use almost any address you google to set up a fake account using an email you just created a burner prepaid phone and card to set up payment methods and also contact for "verification " for the ebay / payment methods and an electronic payment alt processor to convert. Aka disappear funds. 

On the receiving end can be a little trickier if you are actually trying to get said illicit goods mailed. They ways I have heard of used to skirt this. Set up PO box. (Least likely. ) still have to come pick it up. Have it sent to abandoned, for sale, vacation property (not yours), adjacent property (make look like error in writing on label) which these alt addresses seem to be the more and most likely way. Although with these they have to make sure the packages are left at the address and not given notice to pick up so they can be intercepted by the person really intended for pick up. 

I do not want to get into too much detail as I know there are too many ways already for this to go on and sure there are a million way to scam the system and do not want to contribute to teaching anyone, but hopefully from just what I laid out there you could get the idea on truly how easy transactions like this occur all the time.

This is why you see so many warnings about the ability to scam and at the same time they ask you to report any you see or find. Which is do to the fact they know a LOT of this is going on , but it has become so rampant that they have to really focus on large scale operations and not the few individuals.