• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

50th annual Overstreet - What does he get right? What does he get wrong?
3 3

186 posts in this topic

Just now, adamstrange said:

I don't think Overstreet targeted dealers as they were a very small audience for his book compared to the number of collectors.  Even if the intent is to provide a "Guide", you can still accomplish that objective on a digital platform far better than the print version with it's tiny fonts printed on tissue paper.

I think the mentality of Overstreet was a dealer's perspective and he knew it was dealers who would most benefit from a guide as they bought comics for their stores.  He was using the guide also to drive and restrain prices.  I have no problem with a digital platform, but I personally would prefer the oversize book.  What I think is not necessary is to turn the guide into a tickertape of sales.  For me, the pricing information is not as important as the wealth of other details in the guide.

51 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

he also saw himself as a market regulator and stabilizer.  And he was.  

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this is 100% true, and like a lot of the long time dealers will tell you his influence has certainly helped the comic book marketplace to flourish and to continue on a seemingly never ending climb upwards over the past 5 decades.  :applause:

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

What are ‘y’all going to do when terrorists take down the internet?

Maybe you have to remind the young'uns it really wasn't that long ago that there was no such thing as the internet or even cell phones.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

13 hours ago, adamstrange said:

I personally think the Guide is an outdated relic of dead-tree media that should have been re-imagined years ago.

So, how do you feel about the rest of his family of guides, such as The Overstreet Guide to Collecting Video Games, The Overstreet Guide to Grading Comics, The Overstreet Guide t Collecting Comic & Animation Art, The Overstreet Guide to Cllecting Horror, The Overstreet Guide to Collecting Movie Posters, The Overstreet Guide to Collecting Tabletop Games, The Overstreet Price Guide to Batman, The Overstreet Price Guide to Star Wars Collectibles, and probably his own personal favourite, The Official Overstreet Identification and Price Guide to Indian Arrowheads, etc.......  :whatthe:  :whatthe:    

Makes me wonder if the man has any time to sleep at all, especially considering his advancing age now.  zzz  :bigsmile:

So, which guide was you referring to in your comment above and do you already have the full library of all of his various guides?  lol

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

So, how do you feel about the rest of his family of guides, such as The Overstreet Guide to Collecting Video Games, The Overstreet Guide to Grading Comics, The Overstreet Guide t Collecting Comic & Animation Art, The Overstreet Guide to Cllecting Horror, The Overstreet Guide to Collecting Movie Posters, The Overstreet Guide to Collecting Tabletop Games, The Overstreet Price Guide to Batman, The Overstreet Price Guide to Star Wars Collectibles, and probably his own personal favourite, The Official Overstreet Identification and Price Guide to Indian Arrowheads, etc.......  :whatthe:  :whatthe:   

Did he actually work on any of the other guides besides the Arrowhead one?

I remember speaking to Amanda a bunch when she was working on the Horror and Poster Guides, but never heard a word from Bob.

10 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Probably not really since the Indian Arrowheads were apparently his first true passion besides the comic books.  (thumbsu

does anyone here collect arrowheads?

does anyone know anyone who collects arrowheads?

:signofftopic:   I know this is off topic, but I'm curious

41 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

does anyone know anyone who collects arrowheads?

Although I don't know hin personally, apparently Bob Overstreet does and ever since he was a young'un.  :gossip:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

I've been a fan of the OSPG since 1983. It was ground breaking and vital for pricing all books until the internet/CGC changed the game. The guide is still a good resource to price non keys and bulk runs. The data on keys is, naturally, not current, but I have noticed on price listings for some keys that the 2.0 guide price can be pretty close to the "current" entry level 1.0 CGC price. For the new collector, I feel it is still a solid "in hand" reference. I see some dealers (like Harley Yee) still using the guide to help price raw non keys and semi-keys at shows. The market reports, experiences, and observations from the dealers, collectors, and historians are still a treat to read. 

Clark, I'd would agree that the Gold forum would be a more sensible place for this thread as I suspect the Water cooler would be filled with a majority of newer collectors (lets say last 10 years) that probably never referenced the OSPG to begin with. 

Edited by Primetime

On 9/3/2020 at 1:54 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I’m a little surprised there was such little movement on Cap 3,

On 9/3/2020 at 11:30 AM, lou_fine said:
On 9/2/2020 at 11:06 PM, lou_fine said:

Would definitely agree with you on the Cap 3 as even RESTORED mid-grade copies have been selling in the low $20K's and old slow Bob still have unrestored mid-grade copies listed for less than $7K.  Not sure why he still has Cap 3 valude at less than Cap 2 since this has not been the case for well over a decade now.  :screwy:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

As per usual, every year the new price guide comes out there's talk about the pricing for Cap 3 as compared to Cap 2 and something which Gator has also mentioned before in the past.  Although it's common for Overstreet to be behind and conservative on his prices, he is usually still accurate from a relative pricing point of view when it comes to particular issues within a run.  For example, everybody knows that Wonderworld 7, Mystery Men 3, Archie 50, etc. is worth more than the other surrounding issues within those particular runs and as a result, is priced accordingly from a relative pricing point of view.  (thumbsu

Like Gator has said before, everybody knows that Cap 3 is the second most valuable Cap book in the entire run and by a wide margin since forever.  Which then makes me wonder if this is one of those intentional errors that Overstreet puts in his price guide to find out if anybody else out there is violating his copyright infringement since this would be such a very obvious error.  Especially since there have been enough sales of both Cap 3 (although none in high grade) and Cap 2 in the public marketplace over the years to establish a pretty strong pricing relationship between these 2 books.  

Then again, maybe Overstreet is just way behind the market on Cap 3 since I find it rather hard to believe he would put in an intentional error for copyright purposes when it comes to his guide valuation for a particular book.  hm  (shrug)