• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

50th annual Overstreet - What does he get right? What does he get wrong?
3 3

186 posts in this topic

I love the price guide, and when I buy I try to use this edition to get the most bang for my buck...and I've found that waving it in the air also helps...hm

By the way, Bedrock, this was Willie Patterson's copy...

=OPG2.jpg

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

On 9/10/2020 at 8:41 PM, Aman619 said:

I was wondering recently about what software they use...  it’s a lot of data, and it MUST be a spreadsheet of some kind to calculate all the in between grades, right?  Any database software could do this AND be searchable and sorted/reordered by any of the fields for each book... like NM- price , AND database apps can be formatted to produce the final print ready hi-res  page galleys , fonts, sizes spacing columns etc too... Cause pouring the text into indesign would lead to a lot or reformatting and tabbing etc...

so  now that you Point out that the top 100 has omissions and errors?  Wow.  How ARE they doing this book?

718a564da22e1575897bef887a4a8b11.jpg

I'm wondering, too, if AS8 is slightly undervalued and therefore underranked? I was surprised to see it hovering near the bottom of the Top 10 GA books, although maybe the recent CC auction showed it isn't actually that strong.

2 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Price guides are out of date the day they hit the shelf, OSP is just good to read articles and to look at all the "Highest Prices Paid" ads 

It's certainly a lot more than that.  There is a lot of detailed info on issues within titles, tons and tons and tons of it.  Yes, some of that info is also available at online sources, but I prefer to have it in one handy book, and also I prefer to compare the Overstreet info with other info out there.  Also, searching the digital version of Overstreet for key words is sometimes much easier than searching other sources.

1 hour ago, 10centcomics said:

Yeah I think the guide isn't very useful for GA books. For common things like Silver Age Marvels, it can be a useful guideline. For GA, I'm sure all of us would love to pay guide prices for Timely Captain Americas...

If it was a shopping guide I'd be broke.  :D

What's kind of annoying are the fold out ads.  I was trying to read the market report and that annoying ad kept flopping over.  Sorry heritage, I can't afford your books, but if I could, you just lost me as a make-believe customer!

14 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

After paying 10 times Guide for a Matt Baker cover, I guess I need to add them to the list of things that are wrong with OPG. Yes, I love OPG, but OPG ain’t got no love for Matt Baker. I know his work is largely confined to romance and crime, so there’s never a story arc and never a super villain, but the better Baker covers always always always go for 10 x Guide. And I see no attempt in OPG to break out the books with Baker covers from the non-Bakers

pickup from last night’s Heritage weekly:

9CFCB893-20E2-498A-B2D1-64EE4C4EDC7F.jpeg

Sometimes they break out books like TaR 38. This one should also be a breakout book, as it is considered a classic cover to Baker collectors. Congrats, nice 3.0.

18 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

After paying 10 times Guide for a Matt Baker cover, I guess I need to add them to the list of things that are wrong with OPG. Yes, I love OPG, but OPG ain’t got no love for Matt Baker. I know his work is largely confined to romance and crime, so there’s never a story arc and never a super villain, but the better Baker covers always always always go for 10 x Guide. And I see no attempt in OPG to break out the books with Baker covers from the non-Bakers

pickup from last night’s Heritage weekly:

9CFCB893-20E2-498A-B2D1-64EE4C4EDC7F.jpeg

So, you was the nasty bidder who managed to just squeezed past my high bid of $438 to steal this book away from me.  (tsk)  lol

Especially considering that I was more than generous with my bid at more than 5X condition guide and over $100 more than the last CGC 3.0 graded copy that sold at HA back in 2015 for something like only $334.  Will admit though that your copy here certainly appears to present better than the copy that sold in 2015 which also was denoted as having tape on the cover.  :p

Well done and big congrats on your pickup of a classic Baker cover book here.  :applause:  :luhv:

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/10/2020 at 11:41 PM, Aman619 said:

I was wondering recently about what software they use...  it’s a lot of data, and it MUST be a spreadsheet of some kind to calculate all the in between grades, right?  Any database software could do this AND be searchable and sorted/reordered by any of the fields for each book... like NM- price , AND database apps can be formatted to produce the final print ready hi-res  page galleys , fonts, sizes spacing columns etc too... Cause pouring the text into indesign would lead to a lot or reformatting and tabbing etc...

so  now that you Point out that the top 100 has omissions and errors?  Wow.  How ARE they doing this book?

The top books of the other eras have maintained errors for years...they "fix" them in subsequent editions with last year's rank but they weren't listed last year. Werewolf by Night 32 is a good example of this. Not on last years top 25 bronze comics and this year it is ranked 10 with last year's rank listed at 15...

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

So, you was the nasty bidder who managed to just squeezed past my high bid of $438 to steal this book away from me.  (tsk)  lol

Especially considering that I was more than generous with my bid at more than 5X condition guide and over $100 more than the last CGC 3.0 graded copy that sold at HA back in 2015 for something like only $334.  Will admit though that your copy here certainly appears to present better than the copy that sold in 2015 which also was denoted as having tape on the cover.  :p

Well done and big congrats on your pickup of a classic Baker cover book here.  :applause:  :luhv:

I’m sorry Lou. I would have left this on the table had I known. Tell you what. For all your future Heritage winnings, since I live right here in dallas, you can count on me to go pick them up for you

I just noticed in the new OPG, on p. 90, in Overstreets 2020 market report, that one advisor reported “There has been an upswing in sales of incomplete comic books and even parts of books over the last year as well. Surely this is due to the extremely high price of complete books. I have seen pages of major keys bring hundreds of thousands of dollars.”

Excerpt From
The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide
Robert M. Overstreet
https://books.apple.com/us/book/the-overstreet-comic-book-price-guide/id1531161216
This material may be protected by copyright.

ok, I call bs on that. This advisor must be jumping from comic pages to original art. To my knowledge, the highest price anyone has paid for a comic page is $25k for page 3 of an Action 1

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

44 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I just noticed in the new OPG, on p. 90, in Overstreets 2020 market report, that one advisor reported “There has been an upswing in sales of incomplete comic books and even parts of books over the last year as well. Surely this is due to the extremely high price of complete books. I have seen pages of major keys bring hundreds of thousands of dollars.”

Excerpt From
The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide
Robert M. Overstreet
https://books.apple.com/us/book/the-overstreet-comic-book-price-guide/id1531161216
This material may be protected by copyright.

ok, I call bs on that. This advisor must be jumping from comic pages to original art. To my knowledge, the highest price anyone has paid for a comic page is $25k for page 3 of an Action 1

I wouldn't even rule out a typo; he meant to say "hundreds or thousands of dollars".