• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC should get rid of fast track

54 posts in this topic

I'm curious, are there pictures of what the CGC facilities look like? Just want to see how they move books around, how clean, orderly or otherwise the facility is. Not the admin offices, but the floors where the action happens. I don't think there is anything sensitive to see about this (I could be wrong).

On 9/6/2020 at 1:35 PM, revat said:

They just opened their second facility last year.  If that goes well they may expand, but it probably makes sense to take it very slowly

Are you referring to the London office?  If so, it only exists to receive books to send to Sarasota. 

On 9/3/2020 at 2:45 PM, Martian Manhunter said:

My title is what it says. I've had comics sitting in receiving for over a month, and with fast track. Just seems to me that CGC can't handle the high volume of traffic that they obviously have. Time to either get rid of the "fast track" option,  or, how about another building? One for the east coast, and one for the west coast? Fast track is the biggest rip-off about CGC honestly. This whole process is just so archaic....

Well as long as people continue to send books and pay for the service, then I don't see why CGC would bother wasting money on accelerating their process?

I did notice CGC were recently hiring additional staff for something, so maybe they've actually started losing enough sales to people unwillling to endure the wait time?

But, I always seem to read posts from people complaining about long wait times and poor service, and then they also mention they've had like 1000 books graded/slabbed by CGC...  So why would CGC consider increasing capacity as long as customers are obviously willing to wait?

On 9/7/2020 at 1:00 AM, bobotski said:

I'm curious, are there pictures of what the CGC facilities look like? Just want to see how they move books around, how clean, orderly or otherwise the facility is. Not the admin offices, but the floors where the action happens. I don't think there is anything sensitive to see about this (I could be wrong).

Don't they roll them to fit into cylinders that travel through those pneumatic tubes? 

And actually, we need to quit texting and return to those pneumatic tube systems for inter-office communication, they're just SO much cooler! 

On 9/3/2020 at 3:28 PM, comicquant said:

I will say fast track will definitely be faster than the default.  The issue isn't with fast track, the issue is with CGC not updating their turnaround times as often as they should.  I just sent in a few economy fast track thinking it would be a 2 week turnaround and a month later they're still in received state.  I called CGC and they said the TAT for economy fast track is now 25 biz days.

Yea, I think it's just a scam. I got comics sitting in receiving for 2 months now with fast track. Think I'm going to call CGC everyday and tell them to get rid of it. I got 2 big orders sitting there, and that's around $150 extra for fast track...All for nothing. It's clearly a scam.

On 9/4/2020 at 12:30 PM, FredAlexanderCGC2019 said:

First post for me 🙋‍♂️

I've always used fast track because I'm impatient. Late last month a batch of all modern shipped 6 days after receipt. Yay! 

Just sent another batch all modern not fast track which was received yesterday. 

After reading posts in this thread wondering when it'll be shipped 🤔 

Also wondering if can change to fast track after receipt? 

Wow, that's pretty fast, and I'm jealous. I'm over 2 months for my fast track modern now. 

On 9/11/2020 at 10:58 AM, StreetPreacher said:

Well as long as people continue to send books and pay for the service, then I don't see why CGC would bother wasting money on accelerating their process?

I did notice CGC were recently hiring additional staff for something, so maybe they've actually started losing enough sales to people unwillling to endure the wait time?

But, I always seem to read posts from people complaining about long wait times and poor service, and then they also mention they've had like 1000 books graded/slabbed by CGC...  So why would CGC consider increasing capacity as long as customers are obviously willing to wait?

Sad but true. As with most businesses, they don't actually care about customers, they care about the money coming from our wallets. 

On 9/11/2020 at 10:58 AM, StreetPreacher said:

Doesn't the need for more staff usually equate with more work needing to be done? I see that instead as them growing as a business. 

43 minutes ago, Martian Manhunter said:

Yea, I think it's just a scam. I got comics sitting in receiving for 2 months now with fast track. Think I'm going to call CGC everyday and tell them to get rid of it. I got 2 big orders sitting there, and that's around $150 extra for fast track...All for nothing. It's clearly a scam.

Fast track ebbs and flows with the non-fast track turnaround.  I contacted CGC and they said they had just updated their turnaround time estimates and they had.  They were right on track with it.  For me the fast track was 25 biz days while the regular was 46+.  So the duration at which fast track completes is different with each tier.  If you want even faster then you can always do the standard, express or walkthru tiers.

7 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Doesn't the need for more staff usually equate with more work needing to be done? I see that instead as them growing as a business. 

That was exactly my point.  That CGC had reached the point where it actually made financial sense to increase capacity, because they were FINALLY losing potential customers due to the long wait times...

My main concern is that CGC was ONLY hiring 'logistics' people to help with receiving & storage of customers books, and that the total number of books they were receiving was still growing as fast, or faster than expected!

The Job postings at CGC didn't seem to include more appraisers, which I assume is what they would need to grade more books and reduce the ridiculous 6 month turn around times...

But like I said, as long as people keep sending CGC their books knowing that it'll be a 6 month process, then what possible incentive does CGC have to hire expensive skilled employees such as comic appraisers?

The only way to fix this would seem to be if people STOPPED sending their books to CGC.  And if CGC finds that the business has flat-lined, and that they're actually losing potential customers due to the long turn around times, then they might be forced to hire additional appraisers.

But honestly, how many 'collector's are going to go cold turkey on their slab habit?  And since CGC essentially has a monopoly on the 3rd party grading service (CBCS/PGX are relatively worthless on the resale market), then my prediction is that people should get ready for them to start listing wait times in years rather than months... 

And is it just me, or doesn't the current pricing model seem WAY too LOW?  I mean CGC is transforming your practically worthless stack of folded newsprint into a striking, triple figure valued, beautiful crystal jewel of memorabilia! 

Edited by StreetPreacher

On 9/4/2020 at 12:01 PM, MatterEaterLad said:
On 9/4/2020 at 10:54 AM, walclark said:

Sent a Golden Age Timely to a well known presser (no name since he is an active Boardie) in late June 2019 and received the book back from CGC in early June 2020.  TAT = 11 months plus.  All for a 0.5 grade bump. :smirk:

Good lord. I have books in that I don't expect to see until early next year. I tell myself that's okay because they will have increased in value while waiting. Maybe. :cry:

Wait until they charge you for increased shipping costs months after you received the books. :flipbait: :flipbait: :flipbait: :flipbait: The gravy train keeps chuggin' along and the addicts keep jonesing for their next fix. 

1 hour ago, Jeffro. said:

Wait until they charge you for increased shipping costs months after you received the books. :flipbait: :flipbait: :flipbait: :flipbait: The gravy train keeps chuggin' along and the addicts 

That explains some recent charges on books weeks after the fact. I emailed asking why I'm being charged this seemingly random amount when the book's been graded and delivered already. No reply.

Edited by MatterEaterLad

On 9/11/2020 at 11:00 AM, StreetPreacher said:

Don't they roll them to fit into cylinders that travel through those pneumatic tubes? 

And actually, we need to quit texting and return to those pneumatic tube systems for inter-office communication, they're just SO much cooler! 

So THAT'S why all my grader notes come back with "Severe Spine Roll" mentioned.

Frankly, I always wanted to work in a Jetsons style office. Sucked to the work station. Sucked to the breakroom. Sucked to the rest room. Sucked to the parking lot after Mr. Spacely screams at me: "jetSONNN! you're FIIRRED!"

Edited by Randall Ries

3 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

Wait until they charge you for increased shipping costs months after you received the books. :flipbait: :flipbait: :flipbait: :flipbait: The gravy train keeps chuggin' along and the addicts keep jonesing for their next fix. 

Not happy with your grade?  No problem, just ship it back and we'd be more than happy to take a second look, of course, obviously, we'll be forced to charge you for all of the re-grading services, and don't forget the extra charge to crack open the existing slab! 

4 hours ago, KnuckleheadMcSpazatron said:

You are so wrong about so much :roflmao:

Obviously I was going for the comedy angle, but I believe there might be a degree of truth in what I ramble ;)

EDIT: BTW, is there anyway to completely delete one of your (my) stupid comments?  Unless I'm just missing it, I don't see a delete option in the message edit options?

Edited by StreetPreacher