• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC should get rid of fast track

54 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Pretty sure this is how CGC is handling raw books waiting to be graded:

And didn't I hear the recently switched to the "A. Ventura"  shipping service for their economy tier in order to provide some less expensive options?

Next question.  How much of this can we get away with on CGC's own company forums before they start getting upset? :)

Edited by StreetPreacher

21 minutes ago, StreetPreacher said:

And didn't I hear the recently switched to the "A. Ventura"  shipping service for their economy tier in order to provide some less expensive options?

Next question.  How much of this can we get away with on CGC's own company forums before they start getting upset? :)

Hee Hee! "This thread is locked for further comments." Good times. HIRE SOME GRADERS, CGC! MY BUSINESS GOT SHOT IN THE FACE BY COVID! I COULD USE THE INCOME AND I KNOW COMICS!

21 hours ago, StreetPreacher said:

And is it just me, or doesn't the current pricing model seem WAY too LOW?  I mean CGC is transforming your practically worthless stack of folded newsprint into a striking, triple figure valued, beautiful crystal jewel of memorabilia! 

If it's worth that much slabbed, then it can't be worthless raw. You tend to pay 10% or more of market value to grade your book. That doesn't sound that low.

Edited by William-James88

9 hours ago, Martian Manhunter said:

Wow, that's pretty fast, and I'm jealous. I'm over 2 months for my fast track modern now. 

Maybe because the ones I sent were all modern and came back 9.8s and half the lot was the same book. Easy grading? 

The last fast track was received 9/11 and as of a minute ago the status is still "received" 

13 hours ago, William-James88 said:

If the book is triple figures, then doesn't it fall under their second highest tier at least? And if it's worth that much slabbed, then it can't be worthless raw. You tend to pay 10% of market value to grade your book. That doesn't sound that low.

Well this was meant as a joke, but I have noticed ebay auctions asking $100 (they might not actually sell for that much) for a CGC 9.8 copy of a book that I could find 'raw' in decent raw shape at my LCS for $5...  

Edited by StreetPreacher

9 hours ago, StreetPreacher said:

Well this was meant as a joke, but I have noticed ebay auctions asking $100 (they might not actually sell for that much) for a CGC 9.8 copy of a book that I could find 'raw' in decent raw shape at my LCS for $5...  

To quote the notable P. T. Barnum, "There's a sucker born every minute."

On 9/22/2020 at 10:25 AM, Martian Manhunter said:
On 9/4/2020 at 10:26 AM, Jeffro. said:

Pretty much, and the addicts keep ponying up to get their next fix and then complain that fast track isn't fast enough. 

Not really. I have customers waiting on their orders. CGC needs to act like it's the year 2020, not 1995.

But if CGC did away with fast track then your customers would be waiting even longer. 

I'm no CGC apologist. I think it's compostable_fertilizer that they can't get their act together with TaT, QC issues, slab quality issues, and charging people extra on old already paid invoices but nothing is going to change if people keep feeding the beast by sending in more comics. Should they be better than this? Yes, they should, but they aren't and yet people will still keep paying them for the honor of waiting months and months and months to get their comics back. If people stop submitting maybe it will start to affect their bottom line and maybe, just maybe they will start to listen.

Edited by Jeffro.

On 9/23/2020 at 9:00 AM, StreetPreacher said:

There IS a big difference between what is being asked AND what is being sold.  I do think there are some wild price disparities in graded vs raw at times but calculate in the condition as a raw book vs the condition as a graded book.  Also factor in costs related to grading+shipping and pressing if going that route.  The $100 book on eBay is probably in pristine condition while the $5 book at your LCS is probably a lower grade copy that would sell for $25-50 graded (factor in the grading/shipping cost and you aren't making much profit).

Exactly, and I'm not invested enough to buy a CGC 9.8 copy of Amazing Spider-Man #322 for $75, when I can find another copy in acceptable condition for $8...  I mean, I'm sure the slabbed 9.8 would make a better long term investment, but I'm not sure that ASM #322 is important enough of an issue to ever increase in value enough to justify spending nearly 10X as much for the graded copy...

$75 SLAB

ASM322_CGC98.jpeg

$8 RAW

asm322_raw.jpg

Edited by StreetPreacher

On 9/28/2020 at 11:22 AM, StreetPreacher said:

Exactly, and I'm not invested enough to buy a CGC 9.8 copy of Amazing Spider-Man #322 for $75, when I can find another copy in acceptable condition for $8...  I mean, I'm sure the slabbed 9.8 would make a better long term investment

I am sure it wont be a  better long term investment. All of these comics will still  be around 30 years from now, most in the  very same condition they are today. I dont see why it would be worth more later. You'd be better off getting the comic for 8$ and using the money saved to buy a book with better odds of being worth more later.

6 hours ago, William-James88 said:

I am sure it wont be a  better long term investment. All of these comics will still  be around 30 years from now, most in the  very same condition they are today. I dont see why it would be worth more later. You'd be better off getting the comic for 8$ and using the money saved to buy a book with better odds of being worth more later.

This is why I ACTUALLY have only bought slabs for books I that I couldn't find a raw copy of for a better price ;)