• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Boyega PO'd He Wasn't The Star of Star Wars

110 posts in this topic

Entitlement mentality on full display.

No gratitude for the opportunity of a life-time.

No respect for Daisy Riddle who was ALWAYS the focus and star of the trilogy.

Just whining, entitled, now-he's-rich-but-still-complaining, poor-pity-me-I'm-a-victim mentality.

Ungrateful.

YMMV.

John Boyega says non-white actors 'pushed to the side' by Disney

Spoiler

Actor John Boyega has said non-white characters were "pushed to the side" by Disney in the last Star Wars film.

The Londoner played Finn in the latest trilogy, which concluded last year.

But he said the film-makers didn't know what to do with his and other diverse characters in The Rise of Skywalker.

"What I would say to Disney is do not bring out a black character, market them to be much more important in the franchise than they are and then have them pushed to the side,"

"It's not good. I'll say it straight up."

Boyega, who In Star Wars Episodes VII, VIII and IX, played a runaway Stormtrooper at Rey's side as a member of the resistance, acknowledged an actor is "not necessarily going to like everything" in a film. He said Star Wars was an "amazing opportunity" and a "stepping stone".

But he vented his displeasure about the storylines in The Rise of Skywalker.

"You guys knew what to do with Daisy Ridley, you knew what to do with Adam Driver, you knew what to do with these other people," {what about ME whaa-whaa-whaa I wanna be the star whaa-whaa-whaa} he told the magazine.

Ridley's character Rey and Driver, as Kylo Ren, were at the heart of the plot about the fate of the Jedi and the Skywalker dynasty.

But the film-makers didn't know what do to with Finn or Kelly Marie Tran's character Rose, Boyega said. He also suggested Naomi Ackie, the black British actress who played Jannah, and Guatemalan-born Oscar Isaac, who played Poe, were similarly marginalised.

"What do you want me to say?" Boyega continued. "What they want you to say is, 'I enjoyed being a part of it. It was a great experience...'

"Nah, nah, nah. I'll take that deal when it's a great experience. They gave all the nuance to Adam Driver, all the nuance to Daisy Ridley. Let's be honest. Daisy knows this. Adam knows this. Everybody knows. I'm not exposing anything... {only your own ungrateful narcissism}

You're not the star.

You never were the star.

It wasn't about "Finn", it was about Skywalker/Vader always always ALWAYS.

Never heard Ray Park whining about being barely used in The Phantom Menace but being hugely represented in their marketing.

Ever hear Oscar Issac (Poe) or Gwendoline Christie (Cap Phasma) complain about being a minor character in the trilogy but disproportionately shown more in marketing?

Pfft....

JJ Abrams: "John, you’re the new star of Star Wars."

Not entitlement mentality, more so given how Kathleen Kennedy butchered the Sequel Trilogy with her in-studio politics. The character of Finn (along with Kelly Marie Tran's Rose) is a prime example of token diversity - under developed, and only used as a side kick or comic relief.

The moment they made Finn a janitor - therefore making his backstory a joke, in all respects - the character was ruined beyond repair. Up to that point, the audience just assumed he was a normal stormtrooper - with a variety of hints of Force-sensitivity within both the film and Abrams, Ardnt and Kasdan's screenplay. Maybe a rookie, but still a combat-trained soldier. His character was really the only one that had a unique background: we have never seen a stormtrooper leave the Empire/First Order and either go solo and/or join the rebels while dealing with PTSD. On top of that: the force sensitivity aspect - highly similar to the character of Kyle Katern, I hasten to add.

@theCapraAegagrus, Hamill was subtle about it - and on some occasions not so subtle about the characterisation of Skywalker in both TFA and TLJ ~ Also why a big fail from John for making it about race when Kathleen Kennedy has continuously stood by the mantra of: The Force is Female? lol

Edited by Bart Allen

4 minutes ago, Bart Allen said:

@theCapraAegagrus, Hamill was subtle about it - and on some occasions not so subtle about the characterisation of Skywalker in both TFA and TLJ ~

He had, like, 15 second of screen time in TFA. lol

Or are you saying he criticized Luke's lack of appearance in VII?

6 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

While Finn is right that the supporting characters storylines were under developed he fails to understand that this is the formula for pulp serials, which Lucas modeled Star Wars after. Truthfully I still haven’t gotten over Chewbacca not getting a medal at the end of A New Hope

Chewbacca wasn't given a medal because medals don't really mean much to Wookiees. They don't really put too much credence in them. They have different kinds of ceremonies,” Lucas said.

25 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

He had, like, 15 second of screen time in TFA. lol

Or are you saying he criticized Luke's lack of appearance in VII?

His lack of appearance lol

But he was far more critical of The Last Jedi ~

10 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

While Finn is right that the supporting characters storylines were under developed he fails to understand that this is the formula for pulp serials, which Lucas modeled Star Wars after. Truthfully I still haven’t gotten over Chewbacca not getting a medal at the end of A New Hope. 

But he was marketed as the main protagonist lol

1 minute ago, Bart Allen said:

But he was marketed as the main protagonist lol

Wasn't that intentional misdirection? Boyega should have known, based on his contributions, that he was not the actual star of the sequel trilogy. A primary supporting character, for sure, though.

Rey was always the one with Force sensitivity, and the climactic lightsaber duel.

I would speculate there’s hundreds of people who read for that part , ask them how THEY feel. Kurt Russel , Sylvester Stallone , Robert Englund and Al Pacino all read for Han Solo. It’s the same all over , rookie comes into the NFL , works hard , plays hard , gets paid , then the drama starts to get MORE pay . Don’t confuse selfLESS with selfISH.

26 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Wasn't that intentional misdirection? Boyega should have known, based on his contributions, that he was not the actual star of the sequel trilogy. A primary supporting character, for sure, though.

Rey was always the one with Force sensitivity, and the climactic lightsaber duel.

True, but that was quite misdirection lol Especailly how they treated Finn's character in The Last Jedi, and I dare not even speak of the treatment of Luke's character, or even Han's in the first film ~

The best line of E7-9 was Finn's in TFA: I'm just here to get Rey.

The Rey/Finn relationship was the only interesting relationship in TFA.

Finn was pushed aside in the sequels.

3 hours ago, TupennyConan said:

The best line of E7-9 was Finn's in TFA: I'm just here to get Rey.

The Rey/Finn relationship was the only interesting relationship in TFA.

Finn was pushed aside in the sequels.

This is all true.

11 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

JJ Abrams: "John, you’re the new star of Star Wars."

Not entitlement mentality, more so given how Kathleen Kennedy butchered the Sequel Trilogy with her in-studio politics. The character of Finn (along with Kelly Marie Tran's Rose) is a prime example of token diversity - under developed, and only used as a side kick or comic relief.

The moment they made Finn a janitor - therefore making his backstory a joke, in all respects - the character was ruined beyond repair. Up to that point, the audience just assumed he was a normal stormtrooper - with a variety of hints of Force-sensitivity within both the film and Abrams, Ardnt and Kasdan's screenplay. Maybe a rookie, but still a combat-trained soldier. His character was really the only one that had a unique background: we have never seen a stormtrooper leave the Empire/First Order and either go solo and/or join the rebels while dealing with PTSD. On top of that: the force sensitivity aspect - highly similar to the character of Kyle Katern, I hasten to add.

George Lucas: "Jar-Jar is the key to all of this."

(shrug)

4 hours ago, jcjames said:

George Lucas: "Jar-Jar is the key to all of this."

(shrug)

That's from the Making Of ....: he presumed that Jar Jar would be a fan favourite like a comedy relief version of Han Solo - you're taking that out of context as George was explaining if they can get Jar Jar to work as a funny character then PM would be successful. lol

The Force Awakens: Finn defects from the First Order; Kylo Ren is after him; wields a Lightsaber and eventually duels with Kylo; importance suggested (first person since in the teaser; poster details etc)

The Last Jedi: Revealed to be a janitor; did a complete 180% on his character, and goes on a pointless journey to Canto Bight

The Rise of Skywaylker: Shouts "Rey" a great many times lol

9 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

That's from the Making Of ....: he presumed that Jar Jar would be a fan favourite like a comedy relief version of Han Solo - you're taking that out of context as George was explaining if they can get Jar Jar to work as a funny character then PM would be successful. lol

The Force Awakens: Finn defects from the First Order; Kylo Ren is after him; wields a Lightsaber and eventually duels with Kylo; importance suggested (first person since in the teaser; poster details etc)

The Last Jedi: Revealed to be a janitor; did a complete 180% on his character, and goes on a pointless journey to Canto Bight

The Rise of Skywaylker: Shouts "Rey" a great many times lol

Ray Park never Boyega-b!tched like a spoiled ungrateful child about (literally) being the marketing face of TPM and then being (literally) cast aside.

The final SW Trilogy was never ever going to be about Finn. Ever.

He was the co-star, to prop up the main stars.

Edited by jcjames

1 hour ago, jcjames said:

Ray Park never Boyega-b!tched like a spoiled ungrateful child about (literally) being the marketing face of TPM and then being (literally) cast aside.

The final SW Trilogy was never ever going to be about Finn. Ever.

He was the co-star, to prop up the main stars.

Park was never set up in the film to be one of the main three? The issue about Finn is that all of his characterisation was forgotten when Johnson took over - especially if that's originally not was suppose to happen lol

If you read the -script you'll understand ~