• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Boyega PO'd He Wasn't The Star of Star Wars

110 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bart Allen said:

Park was never set up in the film to be one of the main three? The issue about Finn is that all of his characterisation was forgotten when Johnson took over - especially if that's originally not was suppose to happen lol

If you read the ---script you'll understand ~

For the sake of argument, there's no one in Hollywood (maybe except Meryl Streep) who hasn't been burned by "We decided to go in a different direction".

How many of them publicly whine like stuck pigs about it - and THEN make it about race.

Ungrateful entitled twatwaffle.

Edited by jcjames

10 minutes ago, jcjames said:

For the sake of argument, there's no one in Hollywood (maybe except Meryl Streep) who hasn't been burned by "We decided to go in a different direction".

How many of them publicly whine like stuck pigs about it - and THEN make it about race.

Ungrateful entitled twatwaffle.

I agree partially, but when Disney have bee virtue signalling for quite some time and then hypocritically do that I don't blame Boyega lol

On 9/3/2020 at 6:05 PM, jcjames said:

Entitlement mentality on full display.

No gratitude for the opportunity of a life-time.

No respect for Daisy Riddle who was ALWAYS the focus and star of the trilogy.

Just whining, entitled, now-he's-rich-but-still-complaining, poor-pity-me-I'm-a-victim mentality.

Ungrateful.

YMMV.

John Boyega says non-white actors 'pushed to the side' by Disney

Reveal hidden contents

Actor John Boyega has said non-white characters were "pushed to the side" by Disney in the last Star Wars film.

The Londoner played Finn in the latest trilogy, which concluded last year.

But he said the film-makers didn't know what to do with his and other diverse characters in The Rise of Skywalker.

"What I would say to Disney is do not bring out a black character, market them to be much more important in the franchise than they are and then have them pushed to the side,"

"It's not good. I'll say it straight up."

Boyega, who In Star Wars Episodes VII, VIII and IX, played a runaway Stormtrooper at Rey's side as a member of the resistance, acknowledged an actor is "not necessarily going to like everything" in a film. He said Star Wars was an "amazing opportunity" and a "stepping stone".

But he vented his displeasure about the storylines in The Rise of Skywalker.

"You guys knew what to do with Daisy Ridley, you knew what to do with Adam Driver, you knew what to do with these other people," {what about ME whaa-whaa-whaa I wanna be the star whaa-whaa-whaa} he told the magazine.

Ridley's character Rey and Driver, as Kylo Ren, were at the heart of the plot about the fate of the Jedi and the Skywalker dynasty.

But the film-makers didn't know what do to with Finn or Kelly Marie Tran's character Rose, Boyega said. He also suggested Naomi Ackie, the black British actress who played Jannah, and Guatemalan-born Oscar Isaac, who played Poe, were similarly marginalised.

"What do you want me to say?" Boyega continued. "What they want you to say is, 'I enjoyed being a part of it. It was a great experience...'

"Nah, nah, nah. I'll take that deal when it's a great experience. They gave all the nuance to Adam Driver, all the nuance to Daisy Ridley. Let's be honest. Daisy knows this. Adam knows this. Everybody knows. I'm not exposing anything... {only your own ungrateful narcissism}

You're not the star.

You never were the star.

It wasn't about "Finn", it was about Skywalker/Vader always always ALWAYS.

Never heard Ray Park whining about being barely used in The Phantom Menace but being hugely represented in their marketing.

Ever hear Oscar Issac (Poe) or Gwendoline Christie (Cap Phasma) complain about being a minor character in the trilogy but disproportionately shown more in marketing?

Pfft....

That's one way of looking at it I guess. You should do some more reading of the actual exchange between Boyega and Michael Rappaport where he explained himself again. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 9/4/2020 at 10:31 AM, jsilverjanet said:

it's hard to determine what he said and what the author added - i don't read his comments at all like the OP interprets them

Basically he felt that Disney hired him as a token to showcase diversity without actually giving him anything to do as the series progressed.  He basically feels that Disney hired him to stand around and "be black" so they could market that.

Here is the exchange between he and Rappaport who originally challenged him and initially basically said, "That's Hollywood." meaning, your roles are often cut more than they initially told you.  Boyega told Rappaport that he missed the point entirely.   Here is the actual exchange that is being reported and that the OP in this thread must have either missed or ignored. 

https://thesource.com/2020/09/03/john-boyega-silences-michael-rapaport-for-saying-he-should-be-grateful-for-star-wars/

Edited by Buzzetta

30 minutes ago, kimik said:

I am not sure what his fussing about. The title of the last film was "The Rise of Skywalker". Even a 5 year old could figure out that meant plenty of Rey and Kylo screen time. 

FWIW, I am not sure an actor like him should be complaining. Not a smart career move when you are just a B lister at best. 

Yeah, he got famous because of the role and now he is nitpicking. 

8 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Basically he felt that Disney hired him as a token to showcase diversity without actually giving him anything to do as the series progressed.  He basically feels that Disney hired him to stand around and "be black" so they could market that.

Here is the exchange between he and Rappaport who originally challenged him and initially basically said, "That's Hollywood." meaning, your roles are often cut more than they initially told you.  Boyega told Rappaport that he missed the point entirely.   Here is the actual exchange that is being reported and that the OP in this thread must have either missed or ignored. 

https://thesource.com/2020/09/03/john-boyega-silences-michael-rapaport-for-saying-he-should-be-grateful-for-star-wars/

Ouch!

Bait and switch is a very common hiring tactic. It’s happened to me. I’m not saying it’s right but pulling the race card isn’t right either for not getting enough screen time. There were a ton of “token” actors and actresses in the recent Star Wars movies. Let’s not forget Laura Dern! Man I wish she had more screen time, talk about forced placement 😂.

He was right about the Chinese marketing aspect of it though. 

Edited by Xenosmilus

Was Boyega hired because of his race? Partly, yes.

Was his character used to expand the appeal of Star Wars to other groups? Partly, yes.

Were they going to change the entire focus of the Star Wars trilogy of trilogies because of his race. Nope. Not a chance. No one ever said they were.

Is he pissed because they didn't change the focus of SW away from Skywalker/Vader to Finn? Yep. Exactly. 

Should he be grateful for being made rich and famous and have tons of more opportunities because of playing the roll of Finn in Star Wars. You betcha!

Is he? Nope. Sure doesn't seem like it.

FRANCIS BOYEGA:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLJ9k37fHaccj1R7yZ7gI

:roflmao:

53 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Was his character used to expand the appeal of Star Wars to other groups? Partly, yes.

Were they going to change the entire focus of the Star Wars trilogy of trilogies because of his race. Nope. Not a chance. No one ever said they were.

Is he pissed because they didn't change the focus of SW away from Skywalker/Vader to Finn? Yep. Exactly. 

Should he be grateful for being made rich and famous and have tons of more opportunities because of playing the roll of Finn in Star Wars. You betcha!

FRANCIS BOYEGA:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLJ9k37fHaccj1R7yZ7gI

:roflmao:

You may be misreading the situation by not looking at it from the individual's perspective. And especially reflecting on what Disney looked to achieve based on its casting. Disney brought in a larger minority cast into the Star Wars franchise to convey this was an all-inclusive world. It was clear diversity was on display to show 'It's A Small World After All' within the Star Wars franchise.

Director J.J. Abrams weighs in on diversity in the Star Wars universe

During one of the most popular panel discussions here at Comic-Con 2015, a Friday event devoted to the upcoming film "Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens," director J. J. Abrams fielded a question from fans regarding cast diversity in upcoming Star Wars films.

Two audience members jointly asked Abrams whether -- given his track record of helping build a diverse cast as director of the "Star Trek" reboot films -- he could confirm if there will be more Asian characters in the Star Wars universe. Asian characters are few and far between in the Star Wars franchise -- one appears in the original trilogy's last film, "Return of the Jedi," but for only four seconds before dying in a fiery explosion.

Abrams said that while he won't be casting future films in the franchise, because he's directing only Episode VII, he did include Asian characters in "The Force Awakens," which opens December 18.

"I think it's important people see themselves represented in film," Abrams said. "I think it's not a small thing."

So if Disney used Force Awakens to proclaim diversity and equal treatment and then changed it up on a few of its minority actors that helped boost that message with their involvement, do they not have a right to be letdown later on what was being sold to them and audiences was swapped out?

Even with his performance in Force Awakens, Boyega was recognized for a fantastic contribution by many critics who considered this new phase in the franchise a larger audience appeal due to the diverse cast.

TOTAL FILM MAGAZINE'S STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS REVIEW

Of the new triangle of characters, Boyega brings intensity and a surprisingly honed comic timing (“I love the Resistance,” he gabbles when Rey asks him if that’s who he’s with)

Does any of that matter in the end?

18 hours ago, jcjames said:

I would hope not, but, it is Disney we're talking about.

As I previously mentioned, I think he performed very well with what he was given. I would hope that his acting ability is all that factored into his being hired.

I agree with you/others, that as an unknown actor, he should be grateful for the opportunity in such a massive franchise. Dude is gonna be enshrined in Star Wars for eternal history. It's unfortunate for him that 1 of those 3 films is possibly the worst movie of all-time...

Disney has probably become the safest , most PC studio currently churning out films ( and that’s saying alot  ) filled with diversity and races, ages and dialects of all spectrums , so...if an entitled Hollywood crybaby is going to throw a temper tantrum about THAT studio , then they are probably in the wrong line of work ....

19 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

You may be misreading the situation by not looking at it from the individual's perspective. And especially reflecting on what Disney looked to achieve based on its casting. Disney brought in a larger minority cast into the Star Wars franchise to convey this was an all-inclusive world. It was clear diversity was on display to show 'It's A Small World After All' within the Star Wars franchise.

Director J.J. Abrams weighs in on diversity in the Star Wars universe

So if Disney used Force Awakens to proclaim diversity and equal treatment and then changed it up on a few of its minority actors that helped boost that message with their involvement, do they not have a right to be letdown later on what was being sold to them and audiences was swapped out?

Even with his performance in Force Awakens, Boyega was recognized for a fantastic contribution by many critics who considered this new phase in the franchise a larger audience appeal due to the diverse cast.

TOTAL FILM MAGAZINE'S STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS REVIEW

Does any of that matter in the end?

Disney are utter hypocrites, and ultimately don't care about this "diversity" mantra they wish to espouse, as seen through Black Panther's marketing in the Middle Kingdom, and TFA's poster, naturally:

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/outrage-chinese-poster-black-panther-isnt-seems-111825970.html

https://variety.com/2015/film/news/star-wars-china-poster-controversy-john-boyega-1201653494/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-under-fire-for-filming-mulan-in-chinas-xinjiang-province

lollol

Edited by Bart Allen