• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Boyega PO'd He Wasn't The Star of Star Wars

110 posts in this topic

On 9/7/2020 at 11:48 AM, Bosco685 said:

You may be misreading the situation by not looking at it from the individual's perspective. And especially reflecting on what Disney looked to achieve based on its casting. Disney brought in a larger minority cast into the Star Wars franchise to convey this was an all-inclusive world. It was clear diversity was on display to show 'It's A Small World After All' within the Star Wars franchise.

Director J.J. Abrams weighs in on diversity in the Star Wars universe

So if Disney used Force Awakens to proclaim diversity and equal treatment and then changed it up on a few of its minority actors that helped boost that message with their involvement, do they not have a right to be letdown later on what was being sold to them and audiences was swapped out?

Even with his performance in Force Awakens, Boyega was recognized for a fantastic contribution by many critics who considered this new phase in the franchise a larger audience appeal due to the diverse cast.

TOTAL FILM MAGAZINE'S STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS REVIEW

Does any of that matter in the end?

I still think it's an extremely ungrateful and race-baiting attitude of his.

They didn't change the direction of SW, they added characters and checked the boxes on the list they were given. It wasn't organic, it was forced. Hence, the results that he's so upset about. He's rich, famous and has doors opened for him. It's up to him now. 

4 hours ago, jcjames said:

I still think it's an extremely ungrateful and race-baiting attitude of his.

They didn't change the direction of SW, they added characters and checked the boxes on the list they were given. It wasn't organic, it was forced. Hence, the results that he's so upset about. He's rich, famous and has doors opened for him. It's up to him now. 

I think that is the very same points you stated already. Which means reflecting on another view on the topic isn't landing with you.

If the Disney/LucasFilms casting team purposely pitched to these actors directly and indirectly (including those statements from J.J. Abrams) that this diversity push was going to be something meaningful leading to their accepting the role based on that, it does matter. Sure, being part of a major franchise boosts your career cred that you were part of that production. But it is also years of time invested on their part because of the bill of goods they were sold.

I just hope people aren't leaning into an opposing view because of some form of assumed entitlement bias on the part of the actor. Putting himself out there like he did could drastically backfire on him. So why would he take the risk if it was just a petty issue?

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I think that is the very same points you stated already. Which means reflecting on another view on the topic isn't landing with you.

If the Disney/LucasFilms casting team purposely pitched to these actors directly and indirectly (including those statements from J.J. Abrams) that this diversity push was going to be something meaningful leading to their accepting the role based on that, it does matter. Sure, being part of a major franchise boosts your career cred that you were part of that production. But it is also years of time invested on their part because of the bill of goods they were sold.

I just hope people aren't leaning into an opposing view because of some form of assumed entitlement bias on the part of the actor. Putting himself out there like he did could drastically backfire on him. So why would he take the risk if it was just a petty issue?

It means the article was unconvincing.

Boyega was a checkmark on a list, if anyone was "sold" anything different about Finn becoming the main star, then they bought the Brooklyn Bridge and they should have seen it coming a mile away. Welcome to Hollywood Boyega. As Rappaport said, actors have been used, switched-out and discarded ever since acting has been around. 

Him making himself into a SJW isn't going to hurt him, in fact HE was the one appearing to make a "blacklist" of actors about this. And he ain't the only one doing it I bet. He'll be fine. He's no Chadwick Boseman (RIP), but he'll be fine.

Edited by jcjames

10 minutes ago, jcjames said:

It means the article was unconvincing.

Boyega was a checkmark on a list, if anyone was "sold" anything different about Finn becoming the main star, then they bought the Brooklyn Bridge and they should have seen it coming a mile away. Welcome to Hollywood Boyega. As Rappaport said, actors have been used, switched-out and discarded ever since acting has been around. 

Him making himself into a SJW isn't going to hurt him, in fact HE was the one appearing to make a "blacklist" of actors about this. And he ain't the only one doing it I bet. He'll be fine. He's no Chadwick Boseman (RIP), but he'll be fine.

I don't know if you mean to blow this up bigger than it needs to be. But where did Boyega note he had been told his character would be the main star?

Star Wars: John Boyega says non-white actors 'pushed to the side' by Disney

In his own words from the interview...

"What I would say to Disney is do not bring out a black character, market them to be much more important in the franchise than they are and then have them pushed to the side," he told GQ.

Stepping back and not getting wrapped up in the topic, Boyega noted it would be a more important role to the overall Star Wars franchise. Not the main character. Right?

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

I don't know if you mean to blow this up bigger than it needs to be. But where did Boyega note he had been told his character would be the main star?

Star Wars: John Boyega says non-white actors 'pushed to the side' by Disney

In his own words from the interview...

Stepping back and not getting wrapped up in the topic, Boyega noted it would be a more important role to the overall Star Wars franchise. Not the main character. Right?

Someone earlier in this thread posted a quote from JJ Abrams that Boyega would be "the star of Star Wars".

That was pure hyperbole and he was a fool if he believed it.

I keep coming back to this basic truism in Hollywood "We decided to go in a different direction". Boyega made it about race when it was just Hollywood being Hollywood.

If he wanted job-security, he should have become a gov't employee.

This is show business like Rappaport said (for which Boyega arrogantly put him on "the list"). It happens. Get over it, you didn't become the star (or "more important" than you thought you would be) so go count your millions and move on to the next gig.

Geez.

Edited by jcjames

He's not wrong and i'm not sure how him sharing his opinion is seen as entitlement or whining. 

Certain individuals will focus on the headline of "non white characters pushed to the side" and run with their already biased opinion on people who voice their opinion on matters regarding race.  I don't even see why this should be a thread on a comic forum (shrug)

46 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Someone earlier in this thread posted a quote from JJ Abrams that Boyega would be "the star of Star Wars".

That was pure hyperbole and he was a fool if he believed it.

I keep coming back to this basic truism in Hollywood "We decided to go in a different direction". Boyega made it about race when it was just Hollywood being Hollywood.

If he wanted job-security, he should have become a gov't employee.

This is show business like Rappaport said (for which Boyega arrogantly put him on "the list"). It happens. Get over it, you didn't become the star (or "more important" than you thought you would be) so go count your millions and move on to the next gig.

Geez.

Seriously, I am not trying to talk down to you or tell you how to think. But if you go back and actually read the article, Boyega never says he wanted to be the main star of the show.

He just wanted equal treatment. And also the same for his co-star, Kelly Marie Tran. Do you blame him? I hope this isn't a race issue, as I am not sure how anyone couldn't see the intent here otherwise.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Seriously, I am not trying to talk down to you or tell you how to think. But if you go back and actually read the article, Boyega never says he wanted to be the main star of the show.

He just wanted equal treatment. And also the same for his co-star, Kelly Marie Tran. Do you blame him? I hope this isn't a race issue, as I am not sure how anyone couldn't see the intent here otherwise.

Equal to who? Daisy? Adam?

hm

4 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

He's not wrong and i'm not sure how him sharing his opinion is seen as entitlement or whining. 

Certain individuals will focus on the headline of "non white characters pushed to the side" and run with their already biased opinion on people who voice their opinion on matters regarding race.  I don't even see why this should be a thread on a comic forum (shrug)

This is the TV/Movie section?

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

What do you think since originally you assumed Boyega wanted top billing? It sounds like maybe you realized that was a mistaken assumption.

Seriously!?

From the original article in the OP:

"You guys knew what to do with Daisy Ridley, you knew what to do with Adam Driver, you knew what to do with these other people," 

"...They gave all the nuance to Adam Driver, all the nuance to Daisy Ridley..."

Why is he comparing himself and his role to the top-billing stars if he doesn't think he should be treated the same as Daisy and Adam???

So I I ask you again, who did he wanted to be treated equal to? The top stars?

10 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

What do you think since originally you assumed Boyega wanted top billing? It sounds like maybe you realized that was a mistaken assumption.

ETA:

He called out and specifically named Daisy and Adam and compared his treatment to theirs.

He brought up race as a factor for his character going nowhere, but never explained how race kept Oscar Issac (Poe Dameron) from never being fully explored or expanded as a character either.

I think part of the problem is that he’s vague. ‘They didn’t know what to do with my character but did with Ridley and Driver’ doesn’t tell us much. The story-line for the trilogy was a mess, they didn’t know what to do with anyone’s character. Still, he was a big part in all 3 movies so I can’t sympathize much with that part of his statement. 

18 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

I think part of the problem is that he’s vague. ‘They didn’t know what to do with my character but did with Ridley and Driver’ doesn’t tell us much. The story-line for the trilogy was a mess, they didn’t know what to do with anyone’s character. Still, he was a big part in all 3 movies so I can’t sympathize much with that part of his statement. 

Oh I agree, the storylines were a disaster all across the board.

46 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Seriously!?

From the original article in the OP:

"You guys knew what to do with Daisy Ridley, you knew what to do with Adam Driver, you knew what to do with these other people," 

"...They gave all the nuance to Adam Driver, all the nuance to Daisy Ridley..."

Why is he comparing himself and his role to the top-billing stars if he doesn't think he should be treated the same as Daisy and Adam???

So I I ask you again, who did he wanted to be treated equal to? The top stars?

42 minutes ago, jcjames said:

ETA:

He called out and specifically named Daisy and Adam and compared his treatment to theirs.

He brought up race as a factor for his character going nowhere, but never explained how race kept Oscar Issac (Poe Dameron) from never being fully explored or expanded as a character either.

Seriously! Because whatever has you so fired up over this with assumptions you are throwing things out there like he wanted to be the MAIN STAR.

Now that we got you back to ground closer, glad at least we got you focused on the real details: comparing to his co-stars. Which what I am reading in the details was concerns how the lead Caucasian characters seemed to receive better treatment than the minority stars. Is there any arguing that point? Both Boyega and Kelly Tran got sidelined after their big introduction.

And also seriously, JJ Abrams that was initially planning this entire new phase in the franchise made it clear it was about diversity. Even the Force Awakens posters made it clear Boyega was going to play a big part in this universe - not a stormtrooper janitor. Which is how they treated his role afterwards. Seriously!

star-wars-the-force-awakens-china-poster.png.e0dfc4f616188b376535ad0875c68c1f.png

26 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Seriously! Because whatever has you so fired up over this with assumptions you are throwing things out there like he wanted to be the MAIN STAR.

Now that we got you back to ground closer, glad at least we got you focused on the real details: comparing to his co-stars. Which what I am reading in the details was concerns how the lead Caucasian characters seemed to receive better treatment than the minority stars. Is there any arguing that point? Both Boyega and Kelly Tran got sidelined after their big introduction.

And also seriously, JJ Abrams that was initially planning this entire new phase in the franchise made it clear it was about diversity. Even the Force Awakens posters made it clear Boyega was going to play a big part in this universe - not a stormtrooper janitor. Which is how they treated his role afterwards. Seriously!

star-wars-the-force-awakens-china-poster.png.e0dfc4f616188b376535ad0875c68c1f.png

LOL, well you do deflect as well as a Jedi!

He directly compared himself to the Daisy and Adam (the stars). There were two "stars" of TFA, and Finn's character was neither. He was on the same level as Poe, character-wise and importance-wise to the main story (which were about Skywalker/Vader descendants).

What about Issac's (Poe's) treatment and becoming basically a big nothing in the movies? What about Poe disappearing from the movie posters? Oh, okay. That's different, because he's.... what?

This is what happens when you change directors and they say they "want to go in a different direction".

Welcome to Hollywood John. It happens to everybody... just as Rappaport told him before Boyega put him on his "list".

I have nothing more to add.

If we disagree on this, then we disagree.

Have a good one, and we'll see YOU... at the movies. ;)

Edited by jcjames

3 minutes ago, jcjames said:

LOL, well you do deflect as well as a Jedi!

He directly compared himself to the Daisy and Adam (the stars). There were two "stars" of TFA, and Finn's character was neither. He was on the same level as Poe, character-wise and importance-wise to the main story (which were about Skywalker/Vader descendants).

What about Issac's (Poe's) treatment and becoming basically a big nothing in the movies? What about Poe disappearing from the movie posters? Oh, okay. That's different, because he's.... what?

This is what happens when you change directors and they say they "want to go in a different direction".

Welcome to Hollywood John. It happens to everybody... just as Rappaport told him before Boyega put him on his "list".

I have nothing more to add.

If we disagree on this, then we disagree.

Have a good one, and we'll see YOU... at the movies. ;)

I deflect? You blew it up with he was declaring he wanted to be Star Wars's MAIN CHARACTER. How is that deflecting? I think you moved the goalpost once you realized your assumption jumped the gun. The article makes it that clear what he said.

Moving_goal.gif.be26aa22872e298276c494b449784e95.gif

:baiting:

Only because I'm still online at the moment....

This is the third time I asked you this (you deflected twice now):

So I I ask you again, who did he wanted to be treated equal to?

Edited by jcjames