• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Boyega PO'd He Wasn't The Star of Star Wars

110 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Only because I'm still online at the moment....

This is the third time I asked you this (you deflected twice now):

So I I ask you again, who did he wanted to be treated equal to?

I think you may want to watch The Princess Bride. There's a fellow you could learn from.

1065598064_thatword.gif.7a07a22dedcbd622d1b3e807edb8dbb5.gif

And I don't post that to mock you. Though you attempt through this thread to take offense and blow this up if someone tries to share why you may be misunderstanding the intent.

More than once you have made it about the wrong focus. So when you were asked about your original assumption, you moved on to a different focus (who Boyega compared to). Yet you didn't address your mistaken original assumptions.

8 hours ago, jcjames said:

It means the article was unconvincing.

Boyega was a checkmark on a list, if anyone was "sold" anything different about Finn becoming the main star, then they bought the Brooklyn Bridge and they should have seen it coming a mile away. Welcome to Hollywood Boyega. As Rappaport said, actors have been used, switched-out and discarded ever since acting has been around. 

Him making himself into a SJW isn't going to hurt him, in fact HE was the one appearing to make a "blacklist" of actors about this. And he ain't the only one doing it I bet. He'll be fine. He's no Chadwick Boseman (RIP), but he'll be fine.

On 9/7/2020 at 1:11 PM, jcjames said:

Was Boyega hired because of his race? Partly, yes.

Was his character used to expand the appeal of Star Wars to other groups? Partly, yes.

Were they going to change the entire focus of the Star Wars trilogy of trilogies because of his race. Nope. Not a chance. No one ever said they were.

Is he pissed because they didn't change the focus of SW away from Skywalker/Vader to Finn? Yep. Exactly. 

Should he be grateful for being made rich and famous and have tons of more opportunities because of playing the roll of Finn in Star Wars. You betcha!

Is he? Nope. Sure doesn't seem like it.

FRANCIS BOYEGA:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLJ9k37fHaccj1R7yZ7gI

:roflmao:

You assumed Boyega thought he was going to be the main star of the entire franchise (he never says that), and that he assumed this because of his race (again your assumption Boyega thought black actor, guaranteed main star).

That is not what the interview implied. Reading it like anyone not wrapped up in any racial bias or even class bias (the rich dude is complaining), it is clear he felt key minority roles were built up and then tossed to the side. Like it opened the door for the new franchise phase, and then were thrown aside like window dressing.

ANSWER THAT FIRST since it was your assumptions - your words.

1 minute ago, bentbryan said:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls027631145/

Here’s screen time per movie per character.  For a character that is side-lined he’s in there a lot.  Saying he was over-marketed seems like a stretch imo.  

'Over-marketed'? Please explain what you assume here.

But involved in the key marketing releases to ramp up the character - you better believe it. Disney even did motion posters of all the key characters to build excitement, and Finn was one of those characters used (image I used earlier doesn't do it credit).

star-wars-the-force-awakens-finn-motion-poster.gif.f9c0b23abb69eda6b2fbfba3dd050ba8.gif

If he was going to be a sideliner over time, why would you push his image so much? And doing articles about the new diversity of Disney/Star Wars?

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

'Over-marketed'? Please explain what you assume here.

But involved in the key marketing releases to ramp up the character - you better believe it. Disney even did motion posters of all the key characters to build excitement, and Finn was one of those characters used (image I used earlier doesn't do it credit).

star-wars-the-force-awakens-finn-motion-poster.gif.f9c0b23abb69eda6b2fbfba3dd050ba8.gif

If he was going to be a sideliner over time, why would you push his image so much? And doing articles about the new diversity of Disney/Star Wars?

I’m not assuming anything. It’s clear he feels his character was over-marketed for the role he played.  What’s not clear is why. He had the second highest amount of screen time in the first film and had the third highest amount in the other two. Hence why disney pushed his image so much.  He, or anybody, might not like his story but that does not change the fact he’s featured prominently in the films.  

1 hour ago, bentbryan said:

I’m not assuming anything. It’s clear he feels his character was over-marketed for the role he played.  What’s not clear is why. He had the second highest amount of screen time in the first film and had the third highest amount in the other two. Hence why disney pushed his image so much.  He, or anybody, might not like his story but that does not change the fact he’s featured prominently in the films.  

I know it feels like something meaningful. Especially since it is a focus on quantity versus substance. But as Finn moved forward in the follow-on films, his impact to the story diminished.

Even Boba Fett only needed 5 minutes in across the original trilogy to become a classic character. Extensive screen time doesn't equal meaningful use.

On 9/9/2020 at 8:53 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Can't we just all agree that the trilogy was poo, JJ Abrams is over rated and that every person in that film should act like they had nothing to do with it xD

Abrams is totally overrated. He did do a great job rebooting Star Trek however. That’s pretty much it.

On 9/3/2020 at 6:05 PM, jcjames said:

But the film-makers didn't know what do to with Finn or Kelly Marie Tran's character Rose, Boyega said

This suggests to me that maybe they shouldn't have been in the film(s) from the start.

I'm going to agree with those saying "That's Hollywood".

Particularly for this trilogy, when TLJ seemed to take it off the rails and RoS was about UN-doing all of that AND trying to tie up everything in the end, there just wasn't enough screen time for characters not named Rey or Ren.

Them's the breaks :preach:

On 9/12/2020 at 2:13 PM, Grails said:

I better expand upon my post above. TLJ is not the Star Wars movie I would have made. But it’s better than the other two. It had the balls to go out on its own and not pour itself into the mold.

(tsk)

You should be ashamed of yourself. Blatant disrespect.

How would you feel if Infinity War "broke the mold" of the MCU and completely destroyed the character of Tony Stark/Iron Man? Continuity matters. :sumo:

13 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Guy can’t catch a break. https://www.newstimes.com/news/article/Perfume-brand-says-cutting-Black-actor-from-ad-15563861.php?src=nthpent  My guess is you will hear crickets from the big media and sports stars about China’s human rights/race relations. Money talks. Hypocrisy?

I read this the other day and figured some on here would assume Boyega had gotten enough cologne-wearing time and gained his fame from it. So what's the concern?

(:

Even a corporation is realizing its own mistakes in handling the situation.

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

(tsk)

You should be ashamed of yourself. Blatant disrespect.

How would you feel if Infinity War "broke the mold" of the MCU and completely destroyed the character of Tony Stark/Iron Man? Continuity matters. :sumo:

I would have been good with it. People break character sometimes and do things we normally wouldn’t do in extreme situations. Regaining that “character” is another journey and story.

6 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

:sick:

Extending an olive branch - 

Its still not what I wanted and not the SW movie I would have made. As for the first one, I have a love/hate relationship with it. It felt like a reboot of the original instead of being its own thing. Still very slick. ROS was unwatchable to me. I haven’t researched this like I would have ten years ago but was there a different movie planned with another director until all the TLJ hate appeared everywhere? Because the last one felt like Abrams shot me in the knee, put a band-aid on it, injected me with morphine and then punched me in the face before walking off.

6 minutes ago, Grails said:

Extending an olive branch

Its still not what I wanted and not the SW movie I would have made. As for the first one, I have a love/hate relationship with it. It felt like a reboot of the original instead of being its own thing. Still very slick. ROS was unwatchable to me. I haven’t researched this like I would have ten years ago but was there a different movie planned with another director until all the TLJ hate appeared everywhere? Because the last one felt like Abrams shot me in the knee, put a band-aid on it, injected me with morphine and then punched me in the face before walking off.

Too late!

Colin Trevorrow was supposed to write/direct Episode Ten. He left over creative differences. They brought Abrams back to try and salvage something that couldn't properly be salvaged. I can't blame him for having to cram 2 movies into 1 (fix TLJ and have an independent ending).

Edited by theCapraAegagrus