• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Boyega PO'd He Wasn't The Star of Star Wars

110 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Grails said:

(thumbsu Also, I was like who the hell is Colin Trevorrow? I had to google this guy. Seems he only worked on the recent Jurassic World movies. 

It was a stupid move on Lucasfilm's part to have 3 different directors for this trilogy when, clearly, the executives had no idea what the F they were going to do with these characters across 3 films.

You can only have 3 different directing/writing teams when you have a plan for all 3 teams to follow. Kathleen Kennedy, etc, blew it.

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

Guy can’t catch a break. https://www.newstimes.com/news/article/Perfume-brand-says-cutting-Black-actor-from-ad-15563861.php?src=nthpent  My guess is you will hear crickets from the big media and sports stars about China’s human rights/race relations. Money talks. Hypocrisy?

Ahh. I did not understand the full extent of the situation. Boyega had actually created the commercial. The company then refilmed it with an Asian actor and cut him out of any involvement.

Perfume brand Jo Malone has apologised to the actor John Boyega for cutting him out of an advert he conceived, directed and starred in when it was launched in China.

Boyega was replaced by Liu Haoran after the commercial was recast and reshot for the Chinese market. The original advert, London Gent, which was released last year, featured Boyega walking around Peckham, south London, riding a horse, dancing with friends and hanging out with his family. The original cast was multicultural, while the Chinese remake featured no black cast members.

“We deeply apologise for what on our end was a mistake in the local execution of the John Boyega campaign,” Jo Malone said in the statement to the Hollywood Reporter.

“John is a tremendous artist with great personal vision and direction. The concept for the film was based on John’s personal experiences and should not have been replicated.”

The company added that while it “immediately took action” and removed the local version of the campaign, “we recognise that this was painful and that offence was caused. We respect John, and support our partners and fans globally. We are taking this misstep very seriously and we are working together as a brand to do better moving forward.”

Last year, Boyega, who was named the male global ambassador for Jo Malone, reflected on the deeply personal nature of the advert. “There are several people in this video that have either given me a place to stay in LA while I haven’t had one, or just have been consistent in our friendship for years,” he told Women’s Wear Daily.

3 hours ago, Juno Beach said:

What Abrams did to Star Trek was worse than his job on Star Wars. He is a hack.

You didn’t like the first Star Trek reboot? I thought it was great as a lifelong fan. I think he only did the first two.

5 hours ago, Juno Beach said:

What Abrams did to Star Trek was worse than his job on Star Wars. He is a hack.

Well, I probably will not make any friends by saying this, but until this last Star Trek reboot (the Abrams one) I couldn't really watch any of the Star Trek movies/shows.

59 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

Well, I probably will not make any friends by saying this, but until this last Star Trek reboot (the Abrams one) I couldn't really watch any of the Star Trek movies/shows.

For me its a nostalgia thing. Grew up watching the original series with my dad in the late 70’s. Hated the first movie, loved the second and third and the rest were meh until the reboot.

1 hour ago, media_junkie said:

So you didn't like The Original Series, The Next Generation and over a dozen other TV shows and movies but you saw J.J. "lensflare" Abrams and thought "YES! This is Star Trek!":roflmao:

John Boyega should have paid attention to the beat he was filling from the original Star Wars film. His role is the uppity guy who crashes down from a Star Destroyer onto a desert planet, meets an Arthurian orphan, and manages to do a helpful thing or two over the course of three films despite being a scaredy-cat. He is C-3PO, who is nobody's favorite character but exists to play straight man to the feisty little droid (R2D2/BB8) and the charming rogue (Han/Poe). If someone told him otherwise during production, one or both of them was deluded.

Was there time to give Finn an arc anyway? There probably could have been, but Rian Johnson botched that, as he did so many things in TLJ's overall structure. After that, there just wasn't time for JJ Abrams to fix Finn in the final film.

This week we can share that it appears John Boyega‘s Finn may be getting an upcoming Disney+ series. It had previously been announced that J.D. Dillard (Sleight) and Matt Owens (Luke Cage, Agents of SHIELD) were working on a Star Wars film. According to multiple inside sources, that movie concept is now being repurposed as a series. J.D. Dillard and Matt Owens are still attached and have since re-tooled the movie to now be a longer form Disney+ series focusing on Finn.

MORE DETAILS ON THE FINN SERIES FROM DISNEY
Plot details are light but we we’re told that John Boyega will return as Finn. the series would explore his back story, including how he came to be in the First Order. It would also show where the character is going in a post-Rise Of Skywalker world. The plot in the future will have ties and share a villain with his past; although no further info is available at this time. This series could be a replacement for the Rangers of the Republic series that’s gone by the wayside.

I guess that conversation between Kathleen Kennedy and John Boyega went over swimmingly.

Would be nice if WB Studios and Ray Fisher could work out the same situation. Though with his it did involve career threats.

On 8/18/2021 at 6:20 PM, Bosco685 said:

I guess that conversation between Kathleen Kennedy and John Boyega went over swimmingly.

Would be nice if WB Studios and Ray Fisher could work out the same situation. Though with his it did involve career threats.

It's not an official breakup and makeup until he gets a Picasso out of it.   3 Internet points to anyone who gets that without having to look up the reference. 

On 8/19/2021 at 10:29 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Is there really demand for a Finn prequel and/or sequel? It seems like his entire arc was covered in TFA.

Pass. They need drop all this based on ray/finn trilogy and just focus solely on the Mandalorian stuff. Honestly the leadership who made the movies should be fired.  

I do get where JB is coming from in one respect -- the three 'new leads' seemed of equal importance early on in TFA.  But I'd say NONE of them got any real character development or strong writing save perhaps for Adam Driver at times.  Maybe JB's a little whiny, but I don't blame the actors one iota for the trilogy's sad demise...like us, they deserved something more well thought out from the get-go.

On 8/19/2021 at 3:06 PM, Drummy said:

I do get where JB is coming from in one respect -- the three 'new leads' seemed of equal importance early on in TFA.  But I'd say NONE of them got any real character development or strong writing save perhaps for Adam Driver at times.  Maybe JB's a little whiny, but I don't blame the actors one iota for the trilogy's sad demise...like us, they deserved something more well thought out from the get-go.

Maybe his comments were backhanded toward Rian Johnson. Finn was relatively important in TFA, but was relegated to a meaningless side-quest in TLJ with Rose.

The films have always centered around the Jedi and Sith, though. The whole point of TFA was to find Luke Skywalker. Finn was always going to play 2nd fiddle to Rey, at best.