• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

People pictured on ads in comics

19 posts in this topic

This image from another thread got me thinking. Have any of the people who have been pictured and named on a comic book, and I know there are many, especially from ads like this over the decades, ever posted here or been contacted by a forum member to see how they're doing? Or invited to post here and maybe tell us how their lives may have been impacted by being "featured" on or in a comic? Or become comic collectors themselves? Might make an interesting project! 

GSX1.jpeg

40 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

yeah i always wondered if anyone actually took it up and tried to sell "GRIT" 

Ah, those seductive comic book ads Sell-Grit.jpg

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

yeah i always wondered if anyone actually took it up and tried to sell "GRIT" 

Ah, those seductive comic book ads Sell-Grit.jpg

"Grit" sounds like a product that John Wayne would have endorsed! (thumbsu

And I mean the movie John Wayne. The real one. Not John Wayne Gacy or John Wayne Bobbitt.  :eek:

Edited by James J Johnson

6 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

"Grit" sounds like a product that John Wayne would have endorsed! (thumbsu

And I mean the movie John Wayne. The real one. Not John Wayne Gacy or John Wayne Bobbitt.  :eek:

I believe the story of the Midnight Caller was featured in one issue!

Notable read about Grit: 

https://www.grit.com/grit-history  

Started in 1882 and still in operation. I never realized it was a family newspaper. I assumed it was a publication more geared towards boys, like Boy's Life, being that it was advertised extensively in comics. I figured that was their target audience for the ads. 

Edited by James J Johnson

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

I remember this guy more vividly than Rockwell.

VHU2JkGghPl-dYNFqR0hyOarXWSVByNC_WLgFnbo

Possibly because of the attack eyebrows.

I did see some "Dornes" but it wasn't until I started buying up missing back issues, at which point I - kid that I was - wondered what happened to that Rockwell guy and who's this?  Turns out from his Wiki page that Dorne was the one who founded that Famous Artists School along with 11 other illustrators including Rockwell.  It also notes that Dorne influenced John Buscema, Al Avison and Arthur Suydam.  A later picture shows he would have been a shoo-in to play Dr. Sivana.

Dorne.jpg

13 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

This image from another thread got me thinking. Have any of the people who have been pictured and named on a comic book, and I know there are many, especially from ads like this over the decades, ever posted here or been contacted by a forum member to see how they're doing? Or invited to post here and maybe tell us how their lives may have been impacted by being "featured" on or in a comic? Or become comic collectors themselves? Might make an interesting project! 

GSX1.jpeg

image.png.5a189d2f6df4788499458d74ac77c35a.png

Maybe "Tom DeLaney" turned those seed sales into a career business in Pennsylvania...

https://www.delaneysenterprise.com/

Edited by valiantman

I sent away for the 'looking for people who like to draw' and 'draw sparky' three separate times but never heard back-guess i just didnt have what they were looking for lol 

I don’t know about pictures but I remember reading somewhere on this forum about a few different members who as kids had written letters to either Marvel or DC and those letters ended up being printed in comics. 

32 minutes ago, Monstro said:

I don’t know about pictures but I remember reading somewhere on this forum about a few different members who as kids had written letters to either Marvel or DC and those letters ended up being printed in comics. 

I had a few published... would CGC let me sign those for a Signature Series label?:idea:

20 hours ago, Whizzer said:

It's kind of weird but one of the most familiar faces from my childhood is the LaSalle 'Look who's smiling now' guy from the back cover of a million comic books. (I'm talking about the mid 70's guy - I know there was an earlier one).  I wonder whatever happened to him? 

That ad featuring the same person was also printed in many magazines, like the National Lampoon